Deshrouded Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC fits in M1 V6 - Phase 1 complete

rhinoceus

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 6, 2020
Hi fellas, the post title already says it all😂 Do have a look at the album if you are interested too:

The inspiration is from a Reddit post (linked here) where the OP has a Gigabyte Vision, which has very much the same dimensions to the Gaming OC model. Even the gap between the card and the bottom 25mm fans are the same (~10mm).

Temps went okay with some tweaking - peaked at ~66C with some 15mins Cyberpunk 2077 session with custom high settings (note that I've undervolted my card and it runs not higher than 1950 MHz). The Arctic P12s spun at around 75% fan speed which were still quite quiet under my desk. I'll definitely add some standoffs to hold my fans in place later.

Feel free to drop me a question (but I may not be able to reply as frequent). Finally, specs of rig as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 3700X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200MHz C14 32GB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ 2 Arctic P12 PWM fans as intake
Cooler: EK AIO D-RGB 240mm
PSU: Corsair SF750 Plat
Storage:
Samsung 970 Exo Plus 1TB​
HP EX950 2TB​
Crucial MX 500 2TB​
WD HDD 1TB​

Cheers!

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
I actually found that the fans on my deshrouded Zotac 3080 Holo worked better without standoffs that made the fans sit flush on the heatsink, and just screwed directly to the case. There was more turbulence when my cards used standoffs, and temp differences were negligible.

YMMV though, since the Gigabyte uses a slightly thinner but wider heatsink, so 120mm fans have more heatsink coverage on your card but you need taller standoffs (mine was ~6mm).

TheFan

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 7, 2021
Was it mandatory to remove the whole heatsink from the card to remove the shroud? Or would it have been possible just to remove the shroud?

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
Was it mandatory to remove the whole heatsink from the card to remove the shroud? Or would it have been possible just to remove the shroud?
The shroud could be removed without the Zotac 3080 Holo heatsink if you snipped the fan cables or sawed away part of the fins blocking them - I decided it was better to repaste and put new thermal pads anyway than make any permanent mods to the card. Zotac's distributor here would honour warranties for heatsink removal (as they presume it's used for waterblocks) but not permanent mods, not sure about the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFan