Deployment Box

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Did you ever look into replacing your foam with DSF? I also would consider a grounding cable running from the motherboard to the GPU to the PSU case. I had to do that with some Paladins for some really super ESD prone environments.

I'm currently not running any foam at all in the system. I looked into a non-conductive spray coating (used in the other Pelican Case VR build) but it was $60-70 a can. I looked into non-conductive foam but apparently there is a lot of foam that is just dyed pink and passed off as non-conductive, as opposed to actually being legit. I can probably scrounge some from work but I don't know how well that would help remove static build up vs protect against passive static during shipping.

How would you go about grounding the GPU?

Reactions: Soul_Est

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm currently not running any foam at all in the system. I looked into a non-conductive spray coating (used in the other Pelican Case VR build) but it was $60-70 a can. I looked into non-conductive foam but apparently there is a lot of foam that is just dyed pink and passed off as non-conductive, as opposed to actually being legit. I can probably scrounge some from work but I don't know how well that would help remove static build up vs protect against passive static during shipping.

Easiest way is copper tape on back ports behind pcie key and running it to the ground from the motherboard. In some environments this helped resets from plugging in USB or the SD cables.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

I have not had to do that with K'NNECTED.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Easiest way is copper tape on back ports behind pcie key and running it to the ground from the motherboard. In some environments this helped resets from plugging in USB or the SD cables.

Sounds promising - is there any way you could link me to an article or a post a picture with arrows to what you're referring to? Last think I want to do is short out something accidentally!

I have not had to do that with K'NNECTED.

Pretty sure it is environmental - didn't have the problem with it stateside at all. I recently witnessed an OE-254 Antenna (which is unpowered) build up so much static that it traveled down a 300ft RF cable to cause arcing at the tip against a metal case. It was in the middle of a dust storm and just crazy - we put a small grounding rod half way through through the run where we linked two cables together with an extension..

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Pretty sure it is environmental - didn't have the problem with it stateside at all. I recently witnessed an OE-254 Antenna (which is unpowered) build up so much static that it traveled down a 300ft RF cable to cause arcing at the tip against a metal case. It was in the middle of a dust storm and just crazy - we put a small grounding rod half way through through the run where we linked two cables together with an extension..
Yeah, if you're in an environment with dust storms, local high-power RF emitters, and (presumably) a portable grid system (or even a fractured power system), that's not a happy RF environment for consumer PC components, no matter how exited manufacturers are to slap that "MIL SPEC!" sticker on the box art.

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Important question: Will there be a panel to cover all of this? Or are you optimising for thermals?

I was aiming to cut a sheet of lexan and put that over the bottom half - I already installed a panel frame kit in the case and had even done a wooden version, but I just ran out of time before my deployment started.. also doing precision cuts proved to be difficult. My final vision would be to cut a hole for SF450 to friction fit and then use the metal grills on top of everything else (you can see them being utilized in the pic for the 120mm noctua in the bottom left and the CPU cooler - the GPU ones got left back in the US). I have panel mount USB cables, audio connectors, power connector and even a network and HDMI passthrough as well as a 16mm anti-vandal power button.. Just ran out of time (and honestly I don't know if I'll have the skills to cut the ports to the precise tolerances..).

Also need to do custom cabling , clean up the 1W speakers on the monitor part, caulk/seal around the monitor on the back side and clean up the trim on the front..

Thermals are obviously great as is, but it isn't an ideal setup.

EbenTian

What's an ITX?
Dec 21, 2016
Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge FlexATX noise won't be a problem when you're just watching a movie, but during high gaming load, they are very audible. If you really are that sensitive to fan noise, go with SFX or SFX-L even. Cutting a small part of the alumium plate to fit the PSU seems reasonable to me.

Mod Edit: removed spam link

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge FlexATX noise won't be a problem when you're just watching a movie, but during high gaming load, they are very audible. If you really are that sensitive to fan noise, go with SFX or SFX-L even. Cutting a small part of the alumium plate to fit the PSU seems reasonable to me.

Thanks for the feedback! I am currently using an SF450 but after running a Kill-A-Watt my rig is only pulling 115W while running Haven on extreme. Idle is usually 55-60W. I have been mulling over getting an HDPLEX 160W or PicoPSU, but I've also been thinking about swapping out my graphics card for a single slot RX 460 and trying to fit (2) 3.5" drives underneath. For that I'd want a little bit beefier PSU - either an HDPLEX 250 or something similar.

I've heard bad things about the FlexATX units, but have also heard that if you get a large capacity with a semi fan less mode they can never turn on for most of the time if not trying to run a monster card. Pretty sure I'd like to go with a brick system in the attempt to pack 2x 8tb drives. Also been looking at different cases that would fit inside my Pelican 1490.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Depends on the load and the maximum power output, but yeah, if you're pushing a Flex PSU at over 90%, it's going to be loud.

I've heard bad things about the FlexATX units, but have also heard that if you get a large capacity with a semi fan less mode they can never turn on for most of the time if not trying to run a monster card. Pretty sure I'd like to go with a brick system in the attempt to pack 2x 8tb drives. Also been looking at different cases that would fit inside my Pelican 1490.

There are no semi-fanless Flex units to my knowledge.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Depends on the load and the maximum power output, but yeah, if you're pushing a Flex PSU at over 90%, it's going to be loud.

There are no semi-fanless Flex units to my knowledge.

Hrm, I seem to recall someone mentioning one somewhere, I'll see if I can find it again

Last edited: