Log Non portable, almost non laptop build

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
That sounds great! Looks like it fits perfectly for your use case, too.

Have you tested it streaming outside of the same WiFi? I really wonder how performance would be truly remotely, on a different WiFi or even mobile. Sounds like a lot of potential, though

Intel NUC with a 6260u processor
Just wondered, why not an actual laptop? A used 15.6'' with 6th gen CPU should be a similar price or even cheaper to that NUC, and you'd have everything in a portable, useable device instead just another cabled PC with all peripherals separate

Reactions: Day VReamer

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
That sounds great! Looks like it fits perfectly for your use case, too.

Have you tested it streaming outside of the same WiFi? I really wonder how performance would be truly remotely, on a different WiFi or even mobile. Sounds like a lot of potential, though

Just wondered, why not an actual laptop? A used 15.6'' with 6th gen CPU should be a similar price or even cheaper to that NUC, and you'd have everything in a portable, useable device instead just another cabled PC with all peripherals separate
So I haven't generally liked laptops because of the price to performance, the difficulty with taking them apart/fixing/replacing/upgrading parts and have found they degrade much quicker. I did however come to the same conclusion that it was worth a look, so bought this Fujitsu Celsius H910, with the intention of selling the other parts if it worked.
The spec is very similar to the NUC, but when I used it, the CPU was at 100 degrees just updating Windows, and it couldn't keep up with the remote application Parsec with my PC - there was just far too much lag. I returned it as I suspect one of the cooling fans wasn't working meaning it was over heating, throttling etc etc. So now I am at a bit of a loss with what to do - try another laptop or one of my many frankenstein designs. If anyone is following this thread....best stop now :p I will be following yours though timginter

Last edited:
Reactions: timginter

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
The spec is very similar to the NUC but when I used it, the CPU was at 100% just updating Windows
Yeah, doesn't sound right. It's quite an old CPU, but should be better - those workstations were actually not.bad

try another laptop or one of my many frankenstein designs.
I wouldn't see the point of carrying a NUC + screen + keyboard + PSU just to game remotely :D I miss the portability of my 14'' laptop, but I was playing only older titles without eGPU so still ended up tethered to the desk for more demanding games.
Lenovo Thinkpads are very reliable if you're still looking for a laptop to test. Robust, good spec and really well engineered. Prices for 15.6'' i7 are around £200-300

If anyone is following this thread....best stop now :p
Still interesting :) Wonder how remote gaming will be in the end. A laptop + remote connection sounds awesome, I couldn't get it to work decently but I tried with phones and tablets a few years ago, looks like things improved

I will be following yours though timginter
Thanks, just waiting for last parts and prototype V2 should be on its way next week. Funny how when I bought my first laptop I'd never move to a PC again. Now that I made a sort-of portable PC, I'd never move to a tower desktop or laptop unless light work or browsing. (d)Evolution ;)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Hey, I think that might be the same NUC I am using for a build-in-progress. Same CPU and iGPU especially since you mentioned it's 2x the performance of the typical iGPU of a mainstream Intel processor like the 4130. If you're interested to know the power consumption it's pretty light- even under gaming I never got more than 45W at the wall. You'll probable use half as much power just for streaming.

Although I'm not using it for streaming, but gaming directly on it. Mine's going to be a much more portable build, but it's interesting to see how you'll be using the NUC for your laptop-ish build.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
To help finish off the remote gaming onto my gaming PC, I wanted to be able to turn on the PC remotely, so that I didn't have to run it permanently when away from home. I tried wake on lan - but couldn't get it to work from outside of the network, regardless of how I port forwarded etc.

I then tried the Silverstone ES03-wifi https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=938&area=en
This is a smart device which you can turn on with your phone, no matter where you are, and would then turn on your PC. Whatever I did I couldn't get it to work properly. It gains power from an internal USB header.

So my next attempt was a PCIe version of the ES03-wifi. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264927212985
This was exactly the same to setup as the ES03-wifi (although you put it in a PCIe slot instead of the USB header). This time it worked first time! It can also work with alexa/siri/google home etc. So now I have my desktop PC tucked out the way, and I can just ask my echo dot to turn it on :) or I can use my phone remotely. So now I just need to test remote gaming/accessing my home desktop, but in theory as long as I've got a connection good enough to stream, then I can remote game on my desktop from anywhere - woot woot! Got almost the same result as the portable desktop/laptop, only I don't have to carry the desktop around :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
And I'm done. Final solution was a Lenovo V110 15.6 inch laptop with an Intel 6200u processor. This along with Parsec alows me to utilise the hardware in my gaming PC (currently 10600k, 1080Ti. 32GB RAM), which doesn't have a monitor, keyboard/mouse and can now be turned on remotely anywhere. So I can get a stable 60 FPS on any game, anywhere with an internet connection on a very basic laptop :)

Reactions: timginter

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Yeah-I’m not using the 400w laptop style psu/charger and have it up for sale. So I just use a laptop and it’s normal charger which streams from my main pc so that the laptop appears to have the spec of a gaming desktop and the low temps to go with it 👍🏻