Log Non portable, almost non laptop build

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I had to cut out a section at the front to help me fit the gpu, i will make a removable plate to cover this. Picture of the monitor fitted:

That is actually very elegant.
I'd almost give the base a wooden finish, like a varnish or something, to meld with the surroundings.

Reactions: Day VReamer

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
That is actually very elegant.
I'd almost give the base a wooden finish, like a varnish or something, to meld with the surroundings.
Thank you - I think after confirming fitting and any further amendments to the case I am going to give it another couple of coats of spray paint, so I might change the colour. I did however make a wooden mockup of the design in plywood and it did look good but I wasn't as capable of getting a good finish.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
I had to cut out a section at the front to help me fit the gpu, i will make a removable plate to cover this. Picture of the monitor fitted:

That looks amazing! Great to see the drawings and read about the evolution of the design. Even greater to see it becoming a real rig :)

What hinges did you use? Looks really neat

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
That looks amazing! Great to see the drawings and read about the evolution of the design. Even greater to see it becoming a real rig :)

What hinges did you use? Looks really neat
Thanks-I have now built in it and used it for the first time this evening. I haven’t put my gpu in it yet as I’m waiting for a 5cm pice riser to turn up, but it has worked well with the integrated graphics so far.

I used these hinges I got from
Alibaba. They are 1.4-1.7Nm which works but is maybe a fraction stiffer than I would have wanted. The hinges allowed for an 8mm thick monitor, and mine is 11mm so I had some 1.5mm steel cut which I used as spacers to get the 11mm I needed. I actually bought 40 of the hinges and would be happy to send some free of charge-pm me your address if you’d like to see if they’d work/be of any use if you need some 👍🏻https://m.alibaba.com/product/62396...terKey":"7.8.2_share","cacheTime":"1800000"}}

Reactions: timginter

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I still need to design the cover for the front gpu cutout, design some kind of bracket to secure the shorter pcie riser when it arrives, then I want to give it another couple of coats of paint. The GPU in the pics is a gtx 780 (not what will be in the final build) but this was just to test fit one. My 2080 ti has a backplate which will be better, but I am currently considering whether to fit the 2080 Ti - I would have to lower the power usage for it to be suitable with the 400w DC-ATX unit (to 90 % of its power), or get the HDPlex 200w as well which I had designed space for in the case. The other option is to sell the 2080 Ti and get a 3070 which has slightly less power draw, but would mean selling the 2080 Ti at a rediulous price and then buying a 3070 off a scalper of waiting probably another several months for one. Some more pics of the build:

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
The other option is to sell the 2080 Ti and get a 3070 which has slightly less power draw, but would mean selling the 2080 Ti at a rediulous price and then buying a 3070 off a scalper of waiting probably another several months for one.
Honestly, it may not be a bad option to sell now if you have a GPU to use in the meantime. I'd sell my Zotac 2070 Mini now if I had an APU or a second GPU, and just wait for crypto crash to buy an 6800XT. Even better if it takes around a year and AMD/Nvidia will have released new series GPUs.

Ex-miner cards are not as bad as people think, especially if the miner was good and undervolted the card with fans at 100%. With eBay's buyer protection you can check the card and still send back if tests show up something odd or capacitors are bulging, etc.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Honestly, it may not be a bad option to sell now if you have a GPU to use in the meantime. I'd sell my Zotac 2070 Mini now if I had an APU or a second GPU, and just wait for crypto crash to buy an 6800XT. Even better if it takes around a year and AMD/Nvidia will have released new series GPUs.

Ex-miner cards are not as bad as people think, especially if the miner was good and undervolted the card with fans at 100%. With eBay's buyer protection you can check the card and still send back if tests show up something odd or capacitors are bulging, etc.
2080ti is now up for sale :)
I’m also toying with the idea of making another case again but with a thin itx motherboard and then looking to create some kind of thinner custom cooler for a lower tdp gpu, and then slimming my case to about 30mm thick, I’ll finish my current case first though :)

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Nice :)

I hope you document any other projects, this one looks brilliant. One thing I don't get, though - if you're limiting yourself on hardware, why not just a gaming laptop? Feels they have the same tradeoff unless you already have some parts you can use

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Nice :)

I hope you document any other projects, this one looks brilliant. One thing I don't get, though - if you're limiting yourself on hardware, why not just a gaming laptop? Feels they have the same tradeoff unless you already have some parts you can use
So I’m trying not to limit myself on hardware-which is why I probably won’t do the thin itx buildI do a lot of gaming in VR so I need a relatively powerful gpu. With a gaming laptop these setups would be rediculously priced, whereas going with standard desktop components allows me to upgrade it over time/change anything and keep going, whereas with a laptop it’s get rid of the whole thing and start again and buy another rediculously priced laptop.
I have done a couple of other projects which are similarly bizarre, I get a bit obsessed with making something, and once it’s done I end up wanting to do another project-even if there isn’t a need for it :)

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Pic below of my 2080 Ti in the case - It's a Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080 Ti, which at 292mm long, and 58 mm thick, it was difficult to fit in a case that is around 55mm thick and 290mm deep. I had to remove the fans and shroud, and was hoping to fit a number of 50mm fans on the left hand side in the pic. Unfortunately, due to the internal welds the 50mm wouldn't fit. So I will be looking at 40mm fans and having another go. The 2080 Ti would probably get too hot with this config, but as I will have to reduce the 2080 Ti's wattage to get it under what I can sensibly use the HDPlex 400 for, it will probably end up around 80-85% of the 2080 Ti's wattage (so around 210watts instead of 260) which I am hoping should then have enough air flow for. Obviously if I do end up selling the 2080 Ti, then I could always get a smaller one which will have its own fans as well to draw air in, or could try and get a more efficient 3070 or something.

Reactions: Nero and timginter

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
So I’m trying not to limit myself on hardware-which is why I probably won’t do the thin itx buildI do a lot of gaming in VR so I need a relatively powerful gpu. With a gaming laptop these setups would be rediculously priced, whereas going with standard desktop components allows me to upgrade it over time/change anything and keep going, whereas with a laptop it’s get rid of the whole thing and start again and buy another rediculously priced laptop.
Totally understand what you mean - the same reason I moved away from laptop + eGPU and started my DIY project. The thin ITX build sounded like limiting yourself on hardware a lot, though. Realistically, unless you go AMD you still probably have to buy a new motherboard when you want to upgrade your CPU. Not the cheapest and most upgradeable, but probably still cheaper than an equivalent-power gaming laptop.

I have done a couple of other projects which are similarly bizarre, I get a bit obsessed with making something, and once it’s done I end up wanting to do another project-even if there isn’t a need for it :)
True, sometimes tinkering is more interesting than using what you've tinkered :D

Pic below of my 2080 Ti in the case - It's a Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080 Ti, which at 292mm long, and 58 mm thick, it was difficult to fit in a case that is around 55mm thick and 290mm deep. I had to remove the fans and shroud, and was hoping to fit a number of 50mm fans on the left hand side in the pic. Unfortunately, due to the internal welds the 50mm wouldn't fit. So I will be looking at 40mm fans and having another go. The 2080 Ti would probably get too hot with this config, but as I will have to reduce the 2080 Ti's wattage to get it under what I can sensibly use the HDPlex 400 for, it will probably end up around 80-85% of the 2080 Ti's wattage (so around 210watts instead of 260) which I am hoping should then have enough air flow for. Obviously if I do end up selling the 2080 Ti, then I could always get a smaller one which will have its own fans as well to draw air in, or could try and get a more efficient 3070 or something.

That looks really neat!

If you have some space after removing stock fans and shroud, I've read strapping Noctua fans on a GPU works quite well. Haven't tried it myself yet, though

Reactions: Day VReamer

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
So I managed to sell the 2080 Ti in the end and have got an EVGA 1080 Ti which would fit without the need for any alterations.

I'm pleased with it, was a bit of a faff to get in due to me not anticipating the exact impact of internal space due to welding, but it went in, and you can make out the lighting through the side vent holes which works well.

I've ordered the cover for the front of the case which I cut to make GPU fitting easier.

I'm now considering whether I learn from what I've done on this case and make a better, lighter version from aluminium - so far Ive thought of several improvements, including it slotting together and 4 bolts clamping/holding the whole thing together to prevent the need for welding and maximising internal space and making a build/upgrading much easier.

Last edited:

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Great news! That case looks really good.

Are the dimensions different from your first post? You mentioned 410.2mm x 312mm x 88.15mm high

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Great news! That case looks really good.

Are the dimensions different from your first post? You mentioned 410.2mm x 312mm x 88.15mm high
Thanks, yes they are different to my first post as I decided that for me and for what I was hoping to use it for it felt too big. So the dimensions are 390 x 290 x 70mm. That doesn't include 8mm feet on the bottom. But does include the monitor and the sheet of metal that supports it. I just weighed it as well and it is just under 8kg fully built (in mild steel).

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Second version designed - I have gone for aluminium 3mm thick which will make it slightly lighter than the mild steel. I have designed it so it slots together and is then held together with 5 screws/bolts. This gets rid of the welds and maximises internal space. I have made it slightly bigger to allow for an SFX PSU, more fans, and potentially a larger screen. The colours of the panels will likely be black but I have done them different colours below to help each panel stand out.

Last edited:

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
So, following all of my designs, time and effort, I have now decided to go down a different direction. When I tested v1 of my case playing some VR it got extremely hot. This may be due to fan configurations and various other things which is why I designed v2, with more fans and clearance. I have however now decided to put everything back in my original ATX case which has, as expected, much better cooling. To solve the portability issue I have decided to keep my 15.6 portable monitor and try and figure out a way of connecting to my PC remotely/having a wireless monitor.

First attempt at this were with a Chromecast. Too much lag for it to be usable. Next attempt was from my family PC, with windows remote desktop. Unable to game as the mouse passthrough doesn't work. It is almost like the mouse has unbelievably high sensitivity, which cannot be resolved by lowering it. Whilst searching for a solution I came across a recommendation of an application called Parsec - which apparently resolves the mouse issue.

On using Parsec, it has allowed me to remotely access my main PC and use any applications on it as though I am there, including gaming with the mouse issue resolved. So now I know this works, I am now creating a portable system which is good enough and fast enough to boot and do the usual office tasks, whilst being as small as possible, as cheap as possible and I will keep my gaming/main PC as the thing that drives it all.

So, I have decided to go down the route of thin itx. The main reason is to keep it all as slim and as light as possible. I could have gone STX, mini itx, or some kind of smaller system like a compute stick or similar.

After looking at some parts I decided to go for the following:

The system has an intel 4130 CPU (yes only 2 core which seems weird these days), and it has 2 sticks of 4gb ram. I initially built the system in my v1 case until I get something else sorted. To make it cheaper and easier I have decided to go for a SilverStone SST-PT13B-USB3.0 case. At 1.4 litres it is small enough, and I will VESA mount it to the back of my portable monitor.

To help keep the laptop vibe, for the moment I will be keeping two sheets of metal from my v1 build (the two sheets which are hinged around the monitor). This will still allow me to open it up and use it like a laptop, whilst protecting the screen when moving the system.

Below are some pics of the initial testing with Project Cars 2. It worked flawlessly. I wouldn't recommend this setup unless you have a good internet connection. Luckily I have fibre connection with 100mbps up and down constantly. I have also tested this with VR, and again it has worked brilliantly. For VR I only use the 'laptop' to login and access the correct application etc for VR, then the Quest 2 will do its thing wirelessly with virtual desktop. I will be building the system in the Silverstone case in the coming days and will update. So effectively the final result is my own cloud gaming build without a subscription being needed, and requiring 2 computers :p

Last edited:

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
One issue with now making it into a cloud gaming PC, was that it does need a monitor connected, and what you see remotely is what is displayed. So I could be playing something remotely whilst it also displays that on my home PC (not great if I was playing CSGO or similar and my daughter is watching on that monitor). To get around this I purchased a dummy HDMI plug, which tricks the computer into thinking it has a 4k display attached, whilst no monitors are, another problem solved :)

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Slight change of plan yet again. I had been looking at/ordering the case etc for thin itx, however by the time I added up the cost of the bits and the thin itx motherboard etc it made me wonder if I could get the same performance smaller for the same price. After a few hours of looking at Gigabyte Brix and NUC's, I found an Intel NUC with a 6260u processor (which has about 10% less performance that the 4130 CPU I had, but around double the graphics performance), 8gb ram at a faster speed than on my thin itx, 128GB SSD etc etc. So I now have an Intel NUC which I am streaming my gaming PC to. I will be adding external antenna's to boost its wifi (I have drilled the holes but I'm just waiting for the MHF4 wires to connect the santennas up, and I need to get shorter usb/hdmi cables etc. I might also re-do the metal plates so they are smaller/lighter but this will do for now

It does seem weird for it to say 1080Ti when I'm sat at a computer which is only .3 litres :)