Delidding an i3-8100, what idle temps would I see?

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
I’m working on a sff and want it to be as silent as possible as I want to put it on the table top. I have an i3-8100 that idles around 33C and I can faintly hear the fan on the Noctua L9i. If I delid the i3, how much of a decrease could I get? Reason being, I want the lower temp to have a low fan profile on the cooler. The MSI RX560 fan speed is 0% up to 40C so that it is silent.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello, Hank0.

The answer to your question/problem is your CPU fan curve in the UEFI, methinks. Just lower it as far as it will go to target idle to something like 50C and load to 80C.

Delidding isn't a magic way of reducing your temperatures; it can reduce the bottleneck from die to spreader. For small form factor, this is rarely an issue because your mini-itx cooler rarely can outpace your spreader anyway once you reach full saturation/part temp. For a cool cpu like yours, delidding might give you an edge as your cooler *might* outpace TDP but sometimes delidding a CPU can result in worse temps; I know because I have a station in house and have first hand experience. You might see better temps from a delid with liquid metal TIM, but I think it would be way better for your use case just to mess with the fan curve in the UEFI.

My 2c.

Peace!

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
The bottom line is the cpu temperature is certainly manageable by controlling the fan profile on the MB. It's pretty silent as is. I guess I'm more of a "tinkerer" and would do the delid more as an learning/investigative effort. I was wondering if anyone else had done this to an i3 already. If the temps go down "moderately", may try a passive heatsink.

I'm looking at an SFF custom case (3.7L) and if this is sitting on my desktop, really want it as quiet as possible.

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
The bottom line is the cpu temperature is certainly manageable by controlling the fan profile on the MB. It's pretty silent as is. I guess I'm more of a "tinkerer" and would do the delid more as an learning/investigative effort. I was wondering if anyone else had done this to an i3 already. If the temps go down "moderately", may try a passive heatsink.

I'm looking at an SFF custom case (3.7L) and if this is sitting on my desktop, really want it as quiet as possible.

Passively cooled is a tough thing to accomplish in a SFF case. I had a heatsink/fan that was 24mm high and made of pure copper. I have an very thin HTPC so this was the max height allowed for a cooler. In order to drop my temps I delidded the CPU, lapped the IHS and lapped the bottom of the heatsink. Theoretically this was the best I was going to get.

Even with a low TDP CPU, it idled at around 40-50 and thermal throttled during gameplay. I would suggest getting as big of a fan as you can so you could set the RPM as low as you can while still maintaining the same CFM of air flow. You may want to take a look at the ID-Cooling IS-50. It's a SFF heatsink w/ heat pipes that has an adapter that sizes you up to a 120mm fan without interfering with other components.