Discussion 12th gen i3 or i5 with an L9i within a Velka 3? STRICTLY temps-wise

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
To get bit of context, I never used Intel so far, so I don't have the slightest idea on how they work. It is a bit confusing to me, since their higher tdp doesn't necessarily mean higher temps, but all the comparisons I've seen was done using huge towering coolers or 240mm aio's.
I'm fascianted to try the 12400F, but will that involve higher thermals compared to the 12100F?
To be frank, both chips offer more punch than what I need, I care more about temps than performance, but if they are mostly the same with a noctua l9i, I might get the 6 core then. However, if there is a noticable difference, then I will go with the i3 without question.

Also, I might have an option to go with the 12100T or the 12400T - cpu's that thave their tdp rating at 35w. Will that make any difference at higher loads, or they just use more power anyway? Does anyone have experience with these T-variants from any gen, and is there any temperature difference?
The thing is I'm a light gamer and often leave my pc on for hours on idle having just a browser running, so I like the option for low power consumption, but my main focus is to get a system that runs cool with an l9i.
Thanks for all the input!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I have zero experience with those CPU, but both should be OK according to Noctua's website: https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-L9i-17xx-chromax.black-72/cpu/Intel/LGA 1700?q=12

1667211823903.png

The i5 will heat a little more, but you can limit its TDP in your motherboard BIOS/EFI. I've been using 35W T-series Intel CPU for years now and they are perfectly fine for light gaming. Just beware, new gen T SKUs achieves their 35W TDP only at base frequencies. For example, my i9-10900T has 35W base but under boost it goes up to 123W. I'm using a Cryorig C7G for that reason. But if you limit the TDP to 65W, you should be fine with the L9i.

Make sure to get the LGA1700 version of this cooler if you go with a 12th gen Intel CPU.

Reactions: BaK and rfarmer

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
I have zero experience with those CPU, but both should be OK according to Noctua's website: https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-L9i-17xx-chromax.black-72/cpu/Intel/LGA 1700?q=12

The i5 will heat a little more, but you can limit its TDP in your motherboard BIOS/EFI. I've been using 35W T-series Intel CPU for years now and they are perfectly fine for light gaming. Just beware, new gen T SKUs achieves their 35W TDP only at base frequencies. For example, my i9-10900T has 35W base but under boost it goes up to 123W. I'm using a Cryorig C7G for that reason. But if you limit the TDP to 65W, you should be fine with the L9i.

Make sure to get the LGA1700 version of this cooler if you go with a 12th gen Intel CPU.
Thanks for the prompt reply. This attachment seems surprising though. That compatibility meter shows that the i9's are more fitting than a 12400F.
Wonder how that is possible. I'm most certainly a light gamer who plays more 2D titles than 3D, so would be perfectly fine with an APU build, yet I will pair this with my beloved RTX 2060.

What I wish to know if there would be a difference of 7-8'C while some rare occasional high gaming loads (so for example 70 and 77'C) between the i3 and the i5 than I'm going with the i3 for sure. Is there such difference between the F and the T-series between the same cpu?
And if not, are at least the idle temps get lower due to the 35w tdp?

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
That compatibility meter shows that the i9's are more fitting than a 12400F
That's very weird indeed. I'd expect the i9 to be equal or worse than i7.

Wonder how that is possible. I'm most certainly a light gamer who plays more 2D titles than 3D
That's pretty much what I do too, mostly 2D games or isometric 3D with light 3D game from time to time. Never had a single issue doing that with my previous i7-4785T, so a 12th gen 35W SKUs should be plenty for that.

What I wish to know if there would be a difference of 7-8'C while some rare occasional high gaming loads (so for example 70 and 77'C) between the i3 and the i5
I've found that review of the NH-L9i-17XX, with an i5-12400 and the CPU sits at 62C under Cinebench R23 with a 65W power limite (77C with no power limit): https://www.hwcooling.net/en/noctua-nh-l9i-17xx-only-37-mm-tall-and-65-w-in-silence/2/

And if not, are at least the idle temps get lower due to the 35w tdp?
Haven't used my i9-10900T in a long time due to .... *cough* *cough* life issues .... but I remember that it sat at 36C when doing nothing (Cryorig C7G with Noctua fan swap).

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I have a Velka 5 build with a 12400F under a Noctua NH-L9, no issues with temps at all. Can sit at an all core max boost work load for hours and won't even hit 80C.

Reactions: rfarmer

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
I have a Velka 5 build with a 12400F under a Noctua NH-L9, no issues with temps at all. Can sit at an all core max boost work load for hours and won't even hit 80C.
Thank you for the reassurement, espeically coming from pretty much the same conditions of it being in a Velka case with the same clearance to boot.
75'C is something I don't wish to go above though. Hopefully the cpu being it's T-variant will make the difference.

Still, I cannot really settle on the motherboard. For the AM4 there are so many nice choices, here for the 12th gen with the 17xx socket, I can't seem to find a suitable one. I kinda like the AsRock h670m-itx/ac which is DDR4, but so bulky, gimmicky and overly gamery options for DDR5. I don't want to go z690 as overclockling is something I will most certainly avoid. Can you propose a suggestion? What do you use?

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
Thank you for the reassurement, espeically coming from pretty much the same conditions of it being in a Velka case with the same clearance to boot.
75'C is something I don't wish to go above though. Hopefully the cpu being it's T-variant will make the difference.

Still, I cannot really settle on the motherboard. For the AM4 there are so many nice choices, here for the 12th gen with the 17xx socket, I can't seem to find a suitable one. I kinda like the AsRock h670m-itx/ac which is DDR4, but so bulky, gimmicky and overly gamery options for DDR5. I don't want to go z690 as overclockling is something I will most certainly avoid. Can you propose a suggestion? What do you use?
I have no personal experience with the T SKU CPUs, but I would think the lower TDP would lend itself to a lower temperature as long as your ambient temperature is good. I have used a lot of gaming laptops in the past, so I am pretty much comfortable with anything under 90C. Is there a particular reason 75C is your limit? You may also want to look into the Thermalright AXP90-X36, I've read that it performs a little better than the NH-L9.

As far as motherboards go, I use an ASUS ROG Strix B660-I. Only complaint I have is from a software perspective, Armory Crate is pure trash. As far as feature set, layout, and quality are concerned I have no complaints.

Bubba

Average Stuffer
Nov 4, 2019
smallformfactor.net
To reduce cpu temperature on intel:
(1) Undervolt
(2) Remove rear I/O cover
(3) Increase cpu fan speed
(4) Disable hyperthreading

The 12400F (6 core / 12 thread) becomes 6 core / 6 thread with hyperthreading off.
You could buy the 12400F and turn off hyperthreading. That would lower cpu temperature.

Or buy used 8th or 9th gen intel such as i5 - 8400/8500/8600/9400/9400F/9500/9500F/9600/9600F (6 core / 6 thread).
and a compatible used intel 300-series itx motherboard and compatible cpu cooler.

I play all my games on 6 core / 6 thread i5 9400F.
The only game that stutters is "No man's sky" (due to real-time file decompression).
No man's sky is only game I know that uses real-time in-game file decompression.
For smooth gameplay in No man's sky, at least 12 threads are needed,
and it still won't be 100% smooth because it still takes several milliseconds to decompress a small file.
Just don't want anyone to be angry at me for recommending a 6 core/ 6 thread cpu for gaming.
Other than No man's sky, all my pc games run smooth with 6 cores / 6 threads.