Log Deskmini H470 (Intel version of a310) Cooling Mod - 92x25 mm Noctua Fan

Robertst

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 25, 2021
I just completed this Barebone project - DeskMini H470, which is the same as A300 but for new Intel LGA socket processors. I was looking for a low budget performer with somewhat limited gaming capabilities. I settled on the i3-10100 processor which had integrated GPU. That chip is rated 65 Watt TDP. The standard Intel CPU fan was on the Silent profile in Bios so I decided to look for an upgraded cooler-fan assembly. So, why not replace it with a NH-L9i? Everybody says it's the best for that Barebone. Well, I wanted to find something better or equivalent but cheaper. Besides I already have a 92x25 mm Noctua fan (NF-A9). Here I go chasing whatever low profile heatsink is available 23 mm thick max.

I found a very low profile +/-95-watt TDP heatsink with 92 mm x 15 mm thick fan. The complete assembly is only 36mm. It's a Golden Field model US001. A copy of the Jonsbo HP-400. Bought this for $19.99 Canadian on the A-m-a-z-o-n.ca. Removing the fan it's now 21 mm thick. I replaced the fan with my NF-A9. Lots of fiddling later, got the assembly to work. One problem I had is a physical clash. I had to remove the last aluminum fin (on tip side of copper tubes). That was an easy job. Another problem was the fan couldn't be attached on the cooler. It had to be loose to insert everything in the tight box assembly. Because of this, I had to hold the fan in place from outside the box when closed. The result is impressive.

I wanted the most silent air cooling possible, so I connected the Low-Noise Adapter that came with the Noctua Fan. I got a max 60 Watts draw with Fur Mark GPU and CPU burn combined. Silent fan Mode in Bios gives me 1200 RPM fan max and 83 degC (very faint fan noise – Noctua being what they are at 1200 rpm). Idle CPU and +/-2 watts gives 32 degC at 375 RPM; dead silent.

There you go. $20 Cad and super silent rig. My first post here so I can't post jpg?

Stephane