Memory DDR4 low profile RAM

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Hi all :)

Does anyone know if it is at all possible to find low profile DDR4 ram? Been googling it and it seems like I can only find server ram.
There is a clearance of about 23-25mm for the RAM :/
My situation is that in the case I'm building there is an issue with space between the 24 pin cable from the DC board and the ram slots :(

I'm looking to get something like 8-16GB of RAM in there.

The motherboard in question is the GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-rev-10#kf

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Crucial makes some 16GB low profile DDR4 UDIMMs, but they're ECC. ECC will usually work just fine in consumer boards (without any of the actual ECC functionality, mind you) but it's not guaranteed. If you can get them from somewhere with a generous returns policy you could give them a try. Just make sure to get the UDIMMs: Registered DIMMs (RDIMMs) are easier to find, but absolutely will not work at all in consumer boards.

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks @EdZ I did look at Crucial Value RAM... Unfortunately Crucial doesn't say much about the dimensions of the RAM on their site. Have seen dimensions listed at Amazon but only once in a while :/

Last edited:

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks @NinoPecorino I've been looking at them and now I'm even more confused as to what I can and cannot use :confused:

As EdZ mentioned I should go for UDIMM and not RDIMM.

I looked at the link @NinoPecorino posted and there it says EUDIMM which I'm not familair with so I searched and found out that it means Unregistered ECC DIMM so not sure if I can use them depended on what EdZ said previously...

Here is what Crucial says about EUDIMM: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Cruci...fference-between-EUDIMM-and-UDIMM/td-p/179733

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
the memory specifications for the ab350n say that it supports ECC Unbuffered DIMMs that are 1Rx8 or 2Rx8(meaning single or dual rank x8 DRAM modules). the ram i linked above is 2Rx8 Unbuffered ECC so it should work with your motherboard. hope this helps!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The EUDIMMs (ECC UDIMMs) were the ones I was talking about. I've used ECC DIMMs successfully with non-Xeon CPUs in the past (though not those ones specifically), but it's a situation where the CPU maker, motherboard maker, and RAM maker all say "this is not a supported configuration", so it's absolutely not guaranteed to work.

Reactions: Biowarejak