Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
So I found this Kingston VLP memory at CDW for $56.99 per 8GB stick.
https://www.cdw.com/product/kingston-server-premier-ddr4-module-8-gb-dimm-288-pin-3200-mhz/6401629

It seems like a good price for 3200mhz VLP memory to me. Here is the spec sheet from Kingston with the same MFG part number:
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KSM32RS8L_8HDR.pdf
The timing is CL22, which I think is not great, but for the price the performance will probably be fine.

I've never purchased VLP memory before so hopefully I am getting the right thing. I figure it will be easier to return to CDW if I messed up than SuperBuy in China.
If I've done something silly someone please let me know. 😂
that's registered memory. it's for servers only.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
So I found this Kingston VLP memory at CDW for $56.99 per 8GB stick.
https://www.cdw.com/product/kingston-server-premier-ddr4-module-8-gb-dimm-288-pin-3200-mhz/6401629

It seems like a good price for 3200mhz VLP memory to me. Here is the spec sheet from Kingston with the same MFG part number:
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KSM32RS8L_8HDR.pdf
The timing is CL22, which I think is not great, but for the price the performance will probably be fine.

I've never purchased VLP memory before so hopefully I am getting the right thing. I figure it will be easier to return to CDW if I messed up than SuperBuy in China.
If I've done something silly someone please let me know. 😂
You've done something silly. These are registered sticks and won't run in commercial boards. Kingston do actually make some of the most affordable VLP sticks though. Have a scan back through this thread.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the other replies as on my phone :)

jtb

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 21, 2022
Anyone able to tell me the difference between these two part numbers?
  • MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
  • MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2R1
The specs look identical to me, but I've only seen compatibility mentioned in forums for the E1, which is backordered everywhere. The R1 variant is generally available. Looking for validation before pulling the trigger.

I'm trying to put together a B550i ITX build with an NF-A12x15 swapped with the stock Black Ridge fan (like everyone else looking for VLP, I assume).

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
  • MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
  • MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2R1
The specs look identical to me, but I've only seen compatibility mentioned in forums for the E1, which is backordered everywhere. The R1 variant is generally available. Looking for validation before pulling the trigger.

I'm trying to put together a B550i ITX build with an NF-A12x15 swapped with the stock Black Ridge fan (like everyone else looking for VLP, I assume).
i may be drunk, but the specs look identical to me.

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
  • MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
  • MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2R1

From the PDF specification found in the link you provided:
All part numbers end with a two-place code (not shown) that designates component and PCB revisions.
Consult factory for current revision codes. Example: MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2R1.
So I guess it could be different dies or whatever and minor changes, but compatibility should be the same.

jtb

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 21, 2022
So I guess it could be different dies or whatever and minor changes, but compatibility should be the same.

Yep, I actually got an answer from someone at Micron on this. E1 was a previous generation die and is no longer being manufactured, R1 is the replacement.

Reactions: propernorf

Parorng

Case Bender
New User
Jul 7, 2022
Can you guys confirm the above memory will work with B550i or B660i mini-ITX motherboards please?
I'm hoping for a 5600x or 12400/12600 build, DAN A4-SFX, and love to use the Alpenfohn and Noctua NF-A12x15 like the rest here, but PC Part Picker is saying it's not compatible with the 12400/12600 or 5 series Ryzens... Is that their mistake or did I miss something?

Link again for those wanting it:
https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy/?url=https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=627540234622

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Can you guys confirm the above memory will work with B550i or B660i mini-ITX motherboards please?
I'm hoping for a 5600x or 12400/12600 build, DAN A4-SFX, and love to use the Alpenfohn and Noctua NF-A12x15 like the rest here, but PC Part Picker is saying it's not compatible with the 12400/12600 or 5 series Ryzens... Is that their mistake or did I miss something?

Link again for those wanting it:
https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy/?url=https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=627540234622
Not sure why it is saying ECC in the memory description, if I remember correctly that part is wrong. It will sure work with 5600x and B550i. Not sure about intel. Technically it should work with it as well but intel 12th gen is a much hotter CPU than ryzen 5000. Not sure if you will be able to cool it properly even with alpenfohn.
Found this quote "
Depending on the workload, the Core i5-12400 has a TDP of 65–117 watts.
A CPU cooler can still work with a lower TDP rating than the TDP of a CPU. However, the CPU will eventually throttle itself to a lower frequency to allow itself to cool.
The CPU may not achieve or maintain maximum turbo speeds without adequate cooling."
I've not seen many thermal tests of the new intel CPUs but those I've seen were just terrible compared to 5000 ryzens. You can also undervolt your 5600 very easily in bios using PBO2 saving extra few degrees and even gaining some performance. Not exactly sure if it's same with intel. Haven't researched much on that.

This is mostly my opinion and I might be wrong. GL with your build ;-)

Reactions: Parorng

Parorng

Case Bender
New User
Jul 7, 2022
Not sure why it is saying ECC in the memory description, if I remember correctly that part is wrong. It will sure work with 5600x and B550i. Not sure about intel. Technically it should work with it as well but intel 12th gen is a much hotter CPU than ryzen 5000. Not sure if you will be able to cool it properly even with alpenfohn.
Found this quote "
Depending on the workload, the Core i5-12400 has a TDP of 65–117 watts.
A CPU cooler can still work with a lower TDP rating than the TDP of a CPU. However, the CPU will eventually throttle itself to a lower frequency to allow itself to cool.
The CPU may not achieve or maintain maximum turbo speeds without adequate cooling."
I've not seen many thermal tests of the new intel CPUs but those I've seen were just terrible compared to 5000 ryzens. You can also undervolt your 5600 very easily in bios using PBO2 saving extra few degrees and even gaining some performance. Not exactly sure if it's same with intel. Haven't researched much on that.

This is mostly my opinion and I might be wrong. GL with your build ;-)
Yeah thanks,

I'm torn between the two, definitely the 5600x for it's cooler running, but everything is a similar price where I am for the Intel stuff, which is slightly better future-proofed. Still, I'm leaning towards the 5600x or maybe higher, and definitely looking to undervolt. I'm coming from a couple of laptops so I'm used to temps and noise, but really miss having the fuller powered stuff.

Well, I've ordered the RAM, I'll see if it turns up first and make my final decisions! Should be a fun build - it's been quite a while for me.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Crucial has 60 sticks of MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2R in stock with a 10% off coupon available (UPGRADE2022), picked up 2x16GB for $166.75 after tax.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017

not on the open market yet but the page is up

Reactions: rfarmer