Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Heck I want to use this in my steel wing case that's a matx or my reasonable rvz02.
Though how hard is it to mount a fan on top of the heat sink?

Reactions: Soul_Est

Ca11idus

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
www.heatware.com
It's not only being designed for the A4 exclusively. That would be a horrible marketing strategy...

I will actually be building in the CCD MI-6, where it will also fit.

Designed primarily. The good thing about the form factor is that it will fit a wide variety of cases to include the a4.

My post was aimed at the user teying to deter attetion to another case that is not part of this topic so as to take away interest from this project owners original case to another one with no mention of this heatsink.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
So here are the first results.

Setup:
Environment: open air (benchtable)
Room Temp: 22°C
Hardware: Ryzen 7 1700, Asus ROG Strix B350I-Gaming, Micron VLP DDR4 2400
Test Tool: Prime95 v.29.4, 8K Test FFTs in-place
Duration: each 15min

Ryzen 1700 default
  • HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 48°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 49°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 62°C

Ryzen 1700 @3,6Ghz 1,26V

• HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 62°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 67°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 69°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 77°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 82°C

* LL = LianLi
* CJ = CoolJag
* HP = Heatpipe

Yes you see right the 4 heatpipe CoolJag sample from summer is still the best. Maybe CoolJag use better heatpipes, or a better soldering material to connect heatpipe and CPU plate or maybe the brushed bottom surface is better as the polished LL surface.

The test show us, that heatpipe isn't the most important thing. There is a point where surface rules against heatpipe count. On the Ryzen CPU I used for the test you can see that on default clock nearly every heatsink perform the same. So the heatpipe performance or count has not a big impact on the results. The overclocked CPU generates more heat so the heatsink from LianLi with more pipes are better, but 5 heatpipes are enough. The 6 heatpipe sample has less surface as the 5 heatpipe sample because of the extra pipe this result in the 2°C difference. Maybe some of you will think a CoolJag sample with 5 heatpipes will be also much better as the 4 pipe sample. I don't think this is true because the CoolJag sample reach already the sweetpot and more pipes will reduce the surface.

I will do more tests with different fan sizes and also inside the case in the next days.

The results look great, especially the CoolJag design. Looking forward to more results.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
So here are the first results.

Setup:
Environment: open air (benchtable)
Room Temp: 22°C
Hardware: Ryzen 7 1700, Asus ROG Strix B350I-Gaming, Micron VLP DDR4 2400
Test Tool: Prime95 v.29.4, 8K Test FFTs in-place
Duration: each 15min

Ryzen 1700 default
  • HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 48°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 49°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 62°C

Ryzen 1700 @3,6Ghz 1,26V

• HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 62°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 67°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 69°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 77°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 82°C

* LL = LianLi
* CJ = CoolJag
* HP = Heatpipe

Yes you see right the 4 heatpipe CoolJag sample from summer is still the best. Maybe CoolJag use better heatpipes, or a better soldering material to connect heatpipe and CPU plate or maybe the brushed bottom surface is better as the polished LL surface.

The test show us, that heatpipe isn't the most important thing. There is a point where surface rules against heatpipe count. On the Ryzen CPU I used for the test you can see that on default clock nearly every heatsink perform the same. So the heatpipe performance or count has not a big impact on the results. The overclocked CPU generates more heat so the heatsink from LianLi with more pipes are better, but 5 heatpipes are enough. The 6 heatpipe sample has less surface as the 5 heatpipe sample because of the extra pipe this result in the 2°C difference. Maybe some of you will think a CoolJag sample with 5 heatpipes will be also much better as the 4 pipe sample. I don't think this is true because the CoolJag sample reach already the sweetpot and more pipes will reduce the surface.

I will do more tests with different fan sizes and also inside the case in the next days.
Really interesting results.
My only concern will be ram clearance...:)

That’s definitely a really promising sff cooler, promoting exhaust cooler that is the best suited airflow for sff..:)

You can count on me on kickstarter campaign..:)

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
has testing being done in the a4? if so what are temps and acoustics looking like over the noctua or cryorig options? Also any ETA on release?

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
@dondan If at all possible it would be amazing if you could compare the cooling potential of the HSLP-48 to the Scythe Big Shuriken 2.

The Big Shuriken 2 was the go-to option for Node 202 users looking for a little more performance than the Noctua L9i could offer. Unfortunately Scythe decided not to produce an AM4 bracket for the Big Shuriken, so users are either forced to mod the retention brackets to fit AM4 or use a less powerful heatsink.
The HSLP-48 with a fan on top could be a drop-in replacement for the Big Shuriken.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Curious to know if this will fit the Asus ROG Strix z370i And clear the ram for Corsair vengeance lpx ram.
The CoolTek LP53 barely fits, while touching the first ram slot.

ncook06

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2017
I'm currently running an NCase M1 - 7700K, 1080Ti, custom loop with 2x 240mm rads. I'm thinking I could downsize into an A4 v3 by using the HSLP-48 on my CPU and the 92mm Asetek in a Kraken G10/G12 on my GPU.

If this HSLP-48 comes to fruition, I'll likely be buying an A4-SFX v3 to match it.

Last edited:

Sandez

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
@SRTtech theres 4 things you could do right now to reduce temps or noise:
1. Delidding the 7700k will help reduce temps, sometimes by a few degrees but could be up around 10-15oC
2. Undervolt the CPU. Some have seen up to 10-15oC better temps (with no performance decrease) but it's luck of the silicon lottery
3. If you haven't already, replace the fan on the C7 with something like the Noctua A9x14 which will reduce noise, but not likely temps
4. Since you are Intel, change the cooler to the Thermolab LP53 (and replace the fan with a Noctua A9x14) as this is currently one of, if not, the best SFF coolers. But, this might only net you a degree or 2 better temps due to your motherboard and having to mount cooler fins perpendicular to ram. But again, would be quieter due to the fan

I would recommend options 1, 2 and 3 for the time being as they are cheap and beneficial regardless of your cooler, and there are a few new SFF CPU coolers coming out/being announced soon that might be better suited to your motherboard

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Mar 11, 2018
@SRTtech theres 4 things you could do right now to reduce temps or noise:
1. Delidding the 7700k will help reduce temps, sometimes by a few degrees but could be up around 10-15oC
2. Undervolt the CPU. Some have seen up to 10-15oC better temps (with no performance decrease) but it's luck of the silicon lottery
3. If you haven't already, replace the fan on the C7 with something like the Noctua A9x14 which will reduce noise, but not likely temps
4. Since you are Intel, change the cooler to the Thermolab LP53 (and replace the fan with a Noctua A9x14) as this is currently one of, if not, the best SFF coolers. But, this might only net you a degree or 2 better temps due to your motherboard and having to mount cooler fins perpendicular to ram. But again, would be quieter due to the fan

I would recommend options 1, 2 and 3 for the time being as they are cheap and beneficial regardless of your cooler, and there are a few new SFF CPU coolers coming out/being announced soon that might be better suited to your motherboard

How soon do you think new options are coming for coolers? I have a NH-L9I coming from Amazon, but I won't be opening it yet since I don't even have the rest of my components. I didn't even know about the Thermolab LP53/Noctua A9x14 combination. After reading up on this cooler, I think I'd much rather go this route than the Noctua HS due to the temperature reduction despite the higher cost for the Thermolab. However, to get the Thermolab from Korea it's going to take a few weeks. Is it still a safe bet?

Sandez

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
I got the LP53 from eBay via Germany to Australia and it took a little over a week to get here. I was happy about that and you have buyer protection. Just be mindful that due to your motherboard, you have to mount the fins perpendicular to your ram, so you wont get as good temps.

3 coolers I know of are this one from @dondan which I was hoping would be sooner rather than later. Another secretive one from @Kmpkt which should be due for reveal any week now, and a copper version of the C7.

As for the NH-L9I, the temps will be probably be the same as the C7 you have, just quieter. Given your options, I would personally do these things first: Undervolt CPU > Replace C7 fan with A9x14 > Delid CPU > Get the LP53.

Undervolting is free, but takes a bit of time and testing to get it right (I haven't done it myself). May as well get the fan first and replace yours to see if your happy with that, since you'd need it for the LP53 anyways. Delidding will void warranty so that's a personal preference, but should yield some good results.

Those should get you by until these new coolers come out, then you can get an even better one

Reactions: CubanLegend

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Mar 11, 2018
I got the LP53 from eBay via Germany to Australia and it took a little over a week to get here. I was happy about that and you have buyer protection. Just be mindful that due to your motherboard, you have to mount the fins perpendicular to your ram, so you wont get as good temps.

3 coolers I know of are this one from @dondan which I was hoping would be sooner rather than later. Another secretive one from @Kmpkt which should be due for reveal any week now, and a copper version of the C7.

As for the NH-L9I, the temps will be probably be the same as the C7 you have, just quieter. Given your options, I would personally do these things first: Undervolt CPU > Replace C7 fan with A9x14 > Delid CPU > Get the LP53.

Undervolting is free, but takes a bit of time and testing to get it right (I haven't done it myself). May as well get the fan first and replace yours to see if your happy with that, since you'd need it for the LP53 anyways. Delidding will void warranty so that's a personal preference, but should yield some good results.

Those should get you by until these new coolers come out, then you can get an even better one

I think you might have combined a reply to me and @SRTtech together, but thanks for the info. I'm starting a build from scratch. I decided to order a new LP53 off eBay (export Korea>USA). I'm pretty sure that combined with a delidded 8600k and A9x14 fan should yield some pretty reasonable results :)