Dan Cases A4-SFX v3 With RTX 2080 and Z390 Motherboard

huss

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Hello, I've been building PCs since the early 90s but I'm new to SFF. I've only had to consider GPU size in the past for the most part.

For my build, I am set on using the RTX 2080 I've purchased and I have an ASUS ROG Strix-i z390 motherboard ready to go. I was hoping to pair these with the new Core i7 9700k but I am stuck trying to find a cooling solution that works with the case dimensions.

The best I've found is the Asetek 545lc liquid cooling since it is supported by the specs of the a4-sfx as long as an SFX power supply is used (allowing full GPU length). But I can't find the Asetek anywhere online and I'm not 100% sure that it will be sufficient.

Other options I've considered are the Cryorig C7 with a slim noctua fan replacement (using a 3d printed adapter) or the Cooltek LP53 with the same adapter / fan replacement solution to get it to be further from the case and to prevent turbulence noise. Still, I'm not sure that these would be sufficient for cooling the Core i7 9700k.

The new Intel CPUs use solder rather than TIM/paste so I was hoping that it would allow for more efficient cooling with smaller heatsinks but I know I'm asking a lot to be able to put the newest, hottest! components in a small case and maybe the answer is to use a 65 tdp CPU instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

huss

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I might wait for more info on whether the new gen CPUs will be more efficient at cooling then. If I can get away with a good low profile air cooler, that would be best. And thanks for the info on the bios tweak. That's useful even if the cooling is better.