DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I like the vertical tower. I always want to try one since I love how small space they can take.

What I hate, exposed Radiator. I rather have them inside the case and protected.

Reactions: Talyrius

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Not a fan of the new design. Could be the style of the visualization, maybe a render will help. For me the new cases look really big. I would also vote for having those as a seperate line and going forward with the initial concept of the c4

Reactions: chyll2

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
@dondan no offense but I prefer the original C4-SFX design. While I appreciate the new ideas, I don’t find any of those as elegant as a case with a clean front panel and side I/O.

I also suggest to open a separate thread for the vertical tower case, it could be a good addition to your product line.

Reactions: chyll2 and SashaLag

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
I think I'd like to see those drawings turned into more accurate renders before I pass judgement.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I see the images just fine, but I would like to see some accurate renderings before making a final judgement.
I'm not sure I like the rad being on the outside of the case, but I do find the idea of using a 360mm rad in a SFF case intriguing.
The design is a bit plain and boring, in my opinion, but again, I'll reserve final judgement until I see more accurate renderings.

Maybe I will do some renderings today. The 360mm is just an example to show what is possible. I think the smaller scyscraper version is more interesting.

Plus, a radiator outside a case would be awesome to "fake" smaller volume value for an AIO oriented case, but it would be really easy to damage the radiator... Fins are unprotected so, what is the point of a case?

The idea behind the radiator placement was not faking a smaller volume it was to support all 240mm radiators in size. It will support 60mm thick radiators or big AIOs like EKWB ones. Yes the fins are unprotected but do you touch the backside of your case so often? Furthermore many shops offers fan grills or covers for radiators.

For the new Classic-Layout I thought the design was hinting towards "top-hat" modularity as with the Ghost, but it seems I was mistaken. If there's no modular functionality then I'd say that the visual compartmentalisation of the front IO is not really necessary.

For my personal taste the visual compartmentalisation helps to make the front looks not too boring. For me playing with gabs as an visual characteristic is interesting. For me the minimal workstation/oem desktop style makes it interesting. Btw I am not the first one that comes with this design. Here is something Necere did in the past:

With the taller option, what kind of GPU size restrictions will there be? Or will it be more like a vertical Sandwich layout with bottom mounted PSU and a large front compartment for radiators?
And does the taller case allow for full size pump/res combos to be mounted below the motherboard?If I had any constructive feedback on these designs it would be similar to the above, the IO on the front with the big power button does detract slightly from the overall design. Could you hide them on the side behind a mechanism or is that going to intrude too much on front IO?Again, and I'm not saying this to evoke another heated debate on front IO, but I think if you are trying to design a case with 360mm radiator support in the front, that's already a lot of height requirements, since the IO will intrude on that space, you are adding another 20-30mm in height to the case to house the IO cable and mounts which would add a decent amount to the overall case volume.
I think if you are doing IO on this design, top mounted IO with 90 degree connectors to make it as low profile as possible, with a completely clean front panel would be the best option in my opinion.

It is the same hardware layout as the current C4 but rotated at 90°. Furthermore I add 70mm in height to have enough place to route the cable outside. So we have two chambers one for the hardware and the other for routing USB,HDMI, Power s.o cables.
The 360mm Radiator case has also more space in the hardware chamber so GPUs up to 330mm are possible.
The front I/O does not add a single mm to the case for all versions of the new design concept ;)
The power button has the same size as on the A4-SFX/M1

The front I/O isn't very appealing. Rotated around, it looks a little better, but needs some refinement:
This is clever and likely effective at cooling. But an exposed radiator? Here's my computer 10 seconds after I finish building:
Also, I've yet to see a vertical case with an appealing or easy to access cable management solution when the motherboard is oriented that way. The Evolv Shift is an example of this problem:

As I wrote the case will be rotate able so it is up to you if the I/O is at the front or bottom. Just rotate the case and switch bottom and top plate.

the original design preserves the minimalist and sleek design, especially with front clean front panel with I/O on the side
how much impact on airflow with this new top cover design?
tower style with rads outside seems to be a big change from the original design... though cooling will likely be excellent but the sleek design will lost with rads out

The new top plate will not hurt the thermals. If you calculate the surface of the vent area of the new concpet vs. the old one the new one is better.

Putting aside the visual aspects of the new design, I agree that the skyscraper design is kind of cool. Even the exterior radiator concept is kind of cool. However, the "coolness" of these concepts strongly suggests that they should be made into a separate case. Making a separate, skyscraper product line will also allow dondan to "[expand his] product portfolio."

Maybe you are right. But currently I only have the time to do one project so we/I have to decide.

The only thing I wasn't happy with was cables coming out on top (ugly IMO) or proper heat circulation if the GPU was put in the reverse way (cables on bottom, so heat more or less staying in the GPU).I'd like to see how you can sort out these issues. Another point, as said above, is the I/O being on the front panel.

If you have a dual/triple fan GPU the heat will stay in the hardware chamber and will move out through the radiator at the backside. If you have a GPU with a radial design the heat of it will pushed in the cable routing chamber. Now it depends in what orientation you place the case. The best would be to have the chamber on the topside under the top plate with vent holes. Then the heat can move up easily. If you rotate it in that way the chamber is on the bottom it will be harder for the heat but it could move out through the hole on the backside for USB/HDMI/Power cables. Furthermore the case is lifted up some mm so there is also a small 5mm gab under the case.

I like the vertical tower. I always want to try one since I love how small space they can take.What I hate, exposed Radiator. I rather have them inside the case and protected.

This will have one big disadvantage, you will limited in a radiator thickness I force with the depth of the case.

Not a fan of the new design. Could be the style of the visualization, maybe a render will help. For me the new cases look really big.

Because of its height a skyscraper design can look big. But the used surface on the table is smaller. The right case on my new pictures has nearly the same size as the current layout.

@Those who think the design looks boring:

Maybe I am wrong but I think you are not a fan of simple minimalistic design with simple shapes at all like the A4-SFX, Ghost, FT03, many Jonsbo cases s.o.?

Last edited:

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Might be too early but since one of the goal is to make it cheaper than A4, what will be the impact of going vertical? Does it still retain the target price tag?

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
The idea behind the radiator placement was not faking a smaller volume it was to support all 240mm radiators in size. It will support 60mm thick radiators or big AIOs like EKWB ones. Yes the fins are unprotected but do you touch the backside of your case so often? Furthermore many shops offers fan grills or covers for radiators.
I understood that and didn't want to be mean! Probably I am a not common buyer here but (even if I love "tetris" everything) I love SFF cases as they allow for easy trasportation... Facing my entry in the labor market, I probably will need to move in/out a couple of times in the future (maybe even more). And having fins unprotected really hurts my confidence of safely trasporting HW wherever I need. A couple mm more doesn't bother me as long as I have protected HW.

Anyway your idea is not bad. A "rear" hat would be probably better for my need.

This will have one big disadvantage, you will limited in a radiator thickness I force with the depth of the case.
But space saved by not having protection is opposed by having "wasted space" for routing cables to/from I/O top panel... So not my favorite design, hence:

Maybe you are right. But currently I only have the time to do one project so we/I have to decide.
+1 for previously design

Maybe I am wrong but I think you are not a fan of simple minimalistic design with simple shapes at all like the A4-SFX, Ghost, FT03, many Jonsbo cases s.o.?
I am! I am a fan of your case, Necere one, Lazer3D, Stratcom DA2 (even if, this has wasted space on top just for design sake), Louqe and others. I am not a fan of this, but maybe is because the unappelaing aestitichs of SketchUp renderings...

Last edited:

gadhag

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 24, 2018
I'd be fine with the newer design if the old one was unfeasible or whatever but given the choice I'd much prefer the old design.

Reactions: Talyrius

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
One of the major reasons I wanted the C4 was for portability, and having an exposed radiator concerns me. Not only are the fins more exposed, the entire radiator is a lever to apply additional torque on the frame. I wouldn't mind if the skyscraper was developed after the C4, it just doesn't fill the roles I want for the C4.

It's also weird that you have a line going around the tops like the Loque case, despite not having a top hat, which was my biggest gripe about that case. It may be a SketchUp problem, but it just looks un-clean to me.

+1 for old design.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Here are the concept rendering:

Very nice! Thanks for cranking these renders to help us visualize! Based on the configuration, will heat management be better in this design than the Evolv Shift? I had that case, and it was toasty!

Reactions: talkion

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
Now for sure they look better! I don't like two color design as it reminds me of a fridge. But, same color (front, back, sides) design looks fairly good to me! Old design still looks much better to my eyes but I don't know why. There is something, maybe in proportion, maybe in edges, that I don't like!

Reactions: chairmanmeow

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
It's not terrible, but if you are trying to have a "more elegant look", that front I/O doesn't help (in my humble opinion).

I'm a huge fan of minimalistic-sleek design, if the old design is unfeasible I'd love to see the I/O moved on the top panel. The front should be simple slab of metal.

On a side note, my OCD says that the type-C port should be in the same orientation as the type-A's (like on the SketchUp design study). Also, is it me or the power button looks huge? It kinda reminds me of Louqe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.