DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
While the world is moving the internal USB-C header (Key-A) not. This header does only support 1x USB-C. The only solution is a pcb with USB-C hub IRC. This would increase the costs and certification. So for now only 1x USB-C is possible.

Reactions: yj668

Rem Freeman

Chassis Packer
Jul 8, 2023
I played around with the C4-SFXv2 concepts and did some rendering:

Some color tests:

Really liking the side I/O panel, but also the colors! I was a big fan of the silver case to begin with, but that middle dark grey version looks awesome as well!! Always down to see more variety of colors in cases, like a dark blues or greens.

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023
Really liking the side I/O panel, but also the colors! I was a big fan of the silver case to begin with, but that middle dark grey version looks awesome as well!! Always down to see more variety of colors in cases, like a dark blues or greens.
Agreed. That's my favorite color of the bunch as well.

SilentKnight

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2023
My build is done.

Spec:
  • CPU: i9-13900K with Lobo
  • MOBO: ROG Strix Z790-I
  • Ram: 2x48GB G-skill 6400MHz with Bitspower 2-DIMM block
  • PSU: ASUS Loki SF-1000L
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC with Comino block
  • Storage: 2 TB Samsung 990 PRO SSD
  • Rads: 2x Corsair 280mm
  • Cables: Sillicon cables @ Cablester
  • Fans: SW4P

Temp:
  • CPU Idle: 36C
  • CPU Loaded: 75C
  • GPU Idle: 29C
  • GPU Loaded: 62C

Pics:

Rem Freeman

Chassis Packer
Jul 8, 2023
My build is done.

Spec:
  • CPU: i9-13900K with Lobo
  • MOBO: ROG Strix Z790-I
  • Ram: 2x48GB G-skill 6400MHz with Bitspower 2-DIMM block
  • PSU: ASUS Loki SF-1000L
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC with Comino block
  • Storage: 2 TB Samsung 990 PRO SSD
  • Rads: 2x Corsair 280mm
  • Cables: Sillicon cables @ Cablester
  • Fans: SW4P

Temp:
  • CPU Idle: 36C
  • CPU Loaded: 75C
  • GPU Idle: 29C
  • GPU Loaded: 62C

Pics:

Very cool build!! As someone new to the SFF world, I would love to see a build video of how it all came together. Great work!

botak2000

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 21, 2023
Hello,

I have just joined this forum and had a long read through this incredibly valuable thread.

I'm very fortunate to have a DAN C4-SFX in black, with the following components:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I Gaming
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF
  • CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280
  • RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 2x24GB Black F5-8000J4048F24GX2-TZ5RK
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 Founders Edition
  • Storage: 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB
  • Power Supply: ROG LOKI SFX-L 1000W Platinum
  • Upper Fans: 2x Jonsbo HF1415
It is my first SFF build and I was cautious to follow the official 'Compatibility' information and experienced no issues fitting the above.

The case quality is absolutely superb and it delivers excellent cooling and noise performance, as well as looking stunning!
It may therefore be pushing my luck and it will certainly be expensive, but I'm looking at whether I could install such a full custom loop:
  • CPU Block/Pump/Reservoir: EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Plexi
  • Side Radiator : EK-Quantum Surface P280M X-Flow - Black
  • Side Fans: 2x EK-Loop Fan FPT 140 D-RGB - Black (600-2200rpm)
  • GPU Block: EK-Quantum Vector² FE RTX 4090 D-RGB ABP Set - Nickel + Plexi
  • Top Radiator : EK-Quantum Surface P280M X-Flow - Black
  • Top Fans: 2x EK-Loop Fan FPT 140 D-RGB - Black (600-2200rpm)
From the Compatibility information and some previous physical measurements, the CPU Block/Side Radiator configuration would appear to be OK, but I'm still unsure about the GPU Block/Top Radiator configuration.

I have several reasons to attempt such venture and I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any input regarding whether the GPU / Top Radiator configuration could fit?

Thank you.

Reactions: Rem Freeman

Rem Freeman

Chassis Packer
Jul 8, 2023
Hello,

I have just joined this forum and had a long read through this incredibly valuable thread.

I'm very fortunate to have a DAN C4-SFX in black, with the following components:
It is my first SFF build and I was cautious to follow the official 'Compatibility' information and experienced no issues fitting the above.

The case quality is absolutely superb and it delivers excellent cooling and noise performance, as well as looking stunning!
It may therefore be pushing my luck and it will certainly be expensive, but I'm looking at whether I could install such a full custom loop:
  • CPU Block/Pump/Reservoir: EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Plexi
From the Compatibility information and some previous physical measurements, the CPU Block/Side Radiator configuration would appear to be OK, but I'm still unsure about the GPU Block/Top Radiator configuration.

I have several reasons to attempt such venture and I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any input regarding whether the GPU / Top Radiator configuration could fit?

Thank you.
Sounds like a great build, but I'd also be definitely interested in what kind of custom loops that could be achieved. If you do get it figured out, please consider video recording your build process. Newbies like me would love to see how it all comes together!

SilentKnight

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2023
Hello,

Thank you.

Your side rad won't fit. Its width is too big. The bracket fits those rads with 140mm width. Your rad is 145mm width.

Your CPU block may not fit if you use the top ports. If you use the side ports, you need to mount the side port pointing to the GPU, or the RAM will block them. The only low profile block/pump combo that fits the case is the Modultra Lobo.

Top rad will not fit. Same reason above.

GPU Block will not fit. Any block with inlet/outlet coming at the top or to the side of the card will not fit the case. The only 3 gpu/block combinations below fit C4:
  • Alphacool ES with Inno3D card.
  • Comino block with Gigabyte Gaming OC card.
  • EK-Pro with Zotac card.

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020
Your side rad won't fit. Its width is too big. The bracket fits those rads with 140mm width. Your rad is 145mm width.

Your CPU block may not fit if you use the top ports. If you use the side ports, you need to mount the side port pointing to the GPU, or the RAM will block them. The only low profile block/pump combo that fits the case is the Modultra Lobo.

GPU Block will not fit. Any block with inlet/outlet coming at the top or to the side of the card will not fit the case. The only 3 gpu/block combinations below fit C4:
I think Bitspower Orion 4090 FE block will also fit? It's thicker than the others though.

SilentKnight

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2023
I think Bitspower Orion 4090 FE block will also fit? It's thicker than the others though.
No. The inlet/outlet port comes off the side, and will collide with the side fans/rad. I tried that block myself, ended up having to return both the card and the block lol

Edit: Although you can make it work by a 3D-printed bracket that lower the whole side radiator. Ahanix on discord made the 3D file that you can use to print them.

botak2000

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 21, 2023

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help!
-> Please could you elaborate more on the side and top radiator width issue as I'm feeling like I've missed something fundamental.

The 'Compatibility' section I followed from the official DAN website states 'max radiator size: 330 (H) x 155 (W) x 45 mm (D)':

DAN Cases (dan-cases.com)

One reason I chose the ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280 was that it was also on 'Recommended 280 AIOs' list on the page above.
The official ASUS ROG website states 'Radiator Dimension: 143 x 315 x 30 mm':

ROG STRIX LC II 280 ARGB (asus.com)

I didn't experience any issues with fitting the radiator on the bracket and the side panel fits well.
I therefore thought the EKWB 280mm radiators would be OK as the official EKWB Shop page states 'Dimensions: 325 x 145 x 44mm (L x W x H)':

The best medium-thickness EK copper radiator for PC water-cooling – EK Webshop (ekwb.com)

All the dimensions appear to be within the maximums, with 10mm spare for the width (145mm vs 155mm).
My original thoughts were that it is only 2mm longer than the ASUS 280mm, it should be OK.

For the EKWB CPU Block/Pump/Reservoir Combo, I agree that it's only likely to be possible to use the side mounted ports.
The Official EKWB does state the the ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I Gaming is supported:

Compatibility list for EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Plexi | Liquid cooling compatibility list | EKWB

The DAN website states 'max pump height: 80 mm', the ASUS ROG website (For the LC II 280) states: 'Water block dimention [sic]: 80 x 80 x 45 mm' and the EKWB website (for the DDC Combo) states '94.5 x 60.7 x 94.5mm',

I noticed (judged by eye only) that there currently seems to be around 40mm between the top of pump head and the LC II 280 fan surface.
-> On paper, it seems that the EKWB Combo block would fit, please can you elaborate more why the Modultra Lobo is the only one that works?

The DAN website status: Height: 137 mm Width: 79 mm Length: 334mm' (for 3.9 slot GPUs).
The EKWB status 'Dimensions (L x H x W) : 236.3 x 148 x 41mm':

EK-Quantum Vector² FE RTX 4090 D-RGB ABP Set - Nickel + Plexi – EK Webshop (ekwb.com)

That does confirm that there should be 11mm clash with the side, which is a shame.
-> That dream seems to be dead! Thank you for alternative block suggestions, do you know of any others that could fit and work with the Founders Edition?

botak2000

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 21, 2023
Sounds like a great build, but I'd also be definitely interested in what kind of custom loops that could be achieved. If you do get it figured out, please consider video recording your build process. Newbies like me would love to see how it all comes together!
Thank you! I'm so pleased with it.

I know that there are so many brilliant ways to populate this case but as one it's major uses is gaming, I liked the fact I could match so many ASUS ROG components.

I also purchased the following to go with it, which match well with the black theme and RGB that can still be seen from the top and sides of the case:
  • ROG Azoth
  • ROG Harpe and Hone Ace Aim Lab Edition
  • ROG Raikiri Pro

botak2000

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 21, 2023
Apologies, I forgot to reply to your other point! Everything I did so far was 'plug and play' rather than a bit of 'plug and pray' with the custom loop, but I will be happy to share and contribute with anything I achieve there 🙌

Rem Freeman

Chassis Packer
Jul 8, 2023
Apologies, I forgot to reply to your other point! Everything I did so far was 'plug and play' rather than a bit of 'plug and pray' with the custom loop, but I will be happy to share and contribute with anything I achieve there 🙌
That would be much appreciated!! Best of luck with getting everything sorted and I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

SilentKnight

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2023
Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help!
-> Please could you elaborate more on the side and top radiator width issue as I'm feeling like I've missed something fundamental.

The 'Compatibility' section I followed from the official DAN website states 'max radiator size: 330 (H) x 155 (W) x 45 mm (D)':

DAN Cases (dan-cases.com)

One reason I chose the ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280 was that it was also on 'Recommended 280 AIOs' list on the page above.
The official ASUS ROG website states 'Radiator Dimension: 143 x 315 x 30 mm':

ROG STRIX LC II 280 ARGB (asus.com)

I didn't experience any issues with fitting the radiator on the bracket and the side panel fits well.
I therefore thought the EKWB 280mm radiators would be OK as the official EKWB Shop page states 'Dimensions: 325 x 145 x 44mm (L x W x H)':

The best medium-thickness EK copper radiator for PC water-cooling – EK Webshop (ekwb.com)

All the dimensions appear to be within the maximums, with 10mm spare for the width (145mm vs 155mm).
My original thoughts were that it is only 2mm longer than the ASUS 280mm, it should be OK.

For the EKWB CPU Block/Pump/Reservoir Combo, I agree that it's only likely to be possible to use the side mounted ports.
The Official EKWB does state the the ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I Gaming is supported:

Compatibility list for EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Plexi | Liquid cooling compatibility list | EKWB

The DAN website states 'max pump height: 80 mm', the ASUS ROG website (For the LC II 280) states: 'Water block dimention [sic]: 80 x 80 x 45 mm' and the EKWB website (for the DDC Combo) states '94.5 x 60.7 x 94.5mm',

I noticed (judged by eye only) that there currently seems to be around 40mm between the top of pump head and the LC II 280 fan surface.
-> On paper, it seems that the EKWB Combo block would fit, please can you elaborate more why the Modultra Lobo is the only one that works?

The DAN website status: Height: 137 mm Width: 79 mm Length: 334mm' (for 3.9 slot GPUs).
The EKWB status 'Dimensions (L x H x W) : 236.3 x 148 x 41mm':

EK-Quantum Vector² FE RTX 4090 D-RGB ABP Set - Nickel + Plexi – EK Webshop (ekwb.com)

That does confirm that there should be 11mm clash with the side, which is a shame.
-> That dream seems to be dead! Thank you for alternative block suggestions, do you know of any others that could fit and work with the Founders Edition?

Regarding the rad:
  • My bad, but it still won't fit the side. Your EKWB Rad is 325mm long x 44m thick. I tried the GTS 280 X-flow before (326mm long) and it completely does not fit the side panel. It may fit the top, but I am not sure because I haven't tried it yet.
Regarding CPU block:
  • There is another guy in this thread using the same CPU block, same thickness but shorter rad (Alphacool HPE 280mm) for the side. Looking at how cramp it is in his build, I'd advise against using thick rad. You'd have the same performance using a 30mm rad and thick fans. Thick rad is nicer with decent airflow, but if you are cramping in too many stuffs inside an SFF case, your airflow gets worse.
Regarding GPU block:
  • As of now there is no block for 4090 FE that would fit this case. Modultra is making one, but expect to wait until the end of the year for it to be available.
Misc:
  • Try looking at pneumatics fitting and tubes. It will help you a lot in this C4-SFX.

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020
No. The inlet/outlet port comes off the side, and will collide with the side fans/rad. I tried that block myself, ended up having to return both the card and the block lol

Edit: Although you can make it work by a 3D-printed bracket that lower the whole side radiator. Ahanix on discord made the 3D file that you can use to print them.
Ah I see. Thanks.

Alex Kazuma

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 22, 2023
That's brilliant! All your renders are great for me!
Especially the gray styling and sidebar from the last render, but the edged mesh side cover from the second render! Love it!

1. The square teeth on the bottom are a v1 design highlight that I can't imagine v2 without. When I saw a pre-render of v2 without these teeth, I was very upset, because looking at v1 I thought that I had already found a case that suits me in terms of functionality and I like it visually, but I don’t like v2 without these teeth at all, it’s just disappointing. Without them, I would rather prefer a completely different model.

2. And I agree that the sidebar I/O panel is much better than the top panel of v1. It's more convenient and ergonomic. For example, an external hard drive with a short wire would have to be placed on top of the v1 case because of the USB port on top, but with a port on the side, the hard drive can be safely placed next to the case on the table. Moreover, it is better when the panel is on the side because the panel facing up collects dust.

3. And, of course, it is still necessary to have one USB type A on the front panel in addition to USB type C nowadays.

4. In addition, it would be great if these ports were designed also for charging devices (I'm not sure, maybe this is determined by the motherboard, and not the stuffing of the case, but if it still depends on the case, then it's worth considering).

I hope Dan hears you, otherwise I will have to look further for an ITX case 😔

Best regards,
Alex.

shosiu

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 1, 2022
I like the idea of having front IO panel at the bottom - this is the most universal option, which also allows to put the case on the left or the right side of the desk, having the usb ports easily available. What I would prefer is - like was already mentioned - replace separate mic and audio with one combo jack, and add one more usb-A (as still both will be connected with one internal USB connection).
I especially like the second render with slim rim and mesh inside - it looks a lot better than full mesh from top to bottom. The same was for Meshlicious and Meshroom - where the second one is full mesh and looks quite dull. Of course, this is subjective.
When it comes to colors, it would be great if you have the same color scheme like for v1 - a mixture of black and silver as this looks stunning.
Few questions:
1) Will the v2 fit matx motherboards inside?
2) Is that possible, that SFX psu will be rotated so the psu exhaust will be towards the case side panel?
3) What will be max CPU cooler height in v2 - the same 145mm like in v1?