DAN C4-SFX

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
There's a world of difference between "I'm only making x of these, you should pre-order here" and saying you're launching a case, making people wait years and then deciding that you're only doing one small run, especially when your previous case is still being made and has had multiple iterations/runs with small revisions.
Also when you explicitly tell people that there will be a scheduled launch in their region.

loopaddiction

Chassis Packer
Dec 4, 2018
And on top of all of the that...saying that we had the opportunity to buy the case from a few vendors during that short window, so it's our fault that we didn't, and now too late and too bad. And then drawing parallels to an Nvidia GPU launch, whom of course everyone loathes and despises now. It just feels ridiculous waiting all these years for the launch of this case, and then almost immediately after, having to scour the internet for any remaining stock with the only cases left being marked up and scalped. Not to pile on, but it really does feel like a slap on the face for someone who's been recommending Dan Cases incessantly since the A4.

I thought the whole idea of being boutique is to be small and limited? I can only imagine if he did open up another V1 run, just to appease the masses, there would be so many angry purchases involved. Like screw this guy...but also, here's my money. That says something.

I do agree, comms could have been better about the exclusivity of it all but I'm just going to play devil's advocate here. Dan, if you want to be the Yeezy of dope ITX drops, you do you man and I'm all for it. I just got done with the Slate Case run and they only made around 200 units before going back to the drawing board for V2. That's boutique.

This MF'er produces and squeezes 1,500 - 2,000 units in a container for a first run and sells all of them. If you only want to do designs and improve upon them, keep designing. They have exclusive releases for keyboards so why not cases. V2 could be hideous and you know what, it'd probably sell out at this point especially if it outperforms or does more than v1. Keep at it you beautiful bastard.

Yes, this is what the SFF community really needs...artificial scarcity for the sake of clout chasing and exclusivity. Spend years building up hype on the internet through forums, discord channels, and youtube influencers. And then at the right moment, launch only 1 small limited edition run where demand far exceeds supply (but don't tell anybody when, or how many units). The small percentage of people who are blessed with the opportunity to own such rare ingots from being skilled enough to set up bots can buy most of the stock to scalp, profiting off the peons who are too weak to process their Apple Pay in time. We want Instagram Live unboxings of limited edition, private-run colorways. We want google form raffles and F&F VIP lists. We need that hypebeast culture to cross over to PC cases so we can feel special about ourselves and so we can sleep at night with a smug grin on our faces, knowing that sitting on top of our desks is the culmination of all that is boutique and bespoke.

Mind you, 1 of the main reasons for the scarcity of many of those high-demand "exclusive" keyboards that you mention, are the consequences of tiny companies (many times only 1 person) having to QC at their capacity, and having to deliver a nearly perfect product to a certain amount of people within a reasonable time frame. The few of them who do it merely for building up some type of clout/hype empire are simply put, wankers. Very different than Dan Case with a company like Lian Li helming production.

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Lian Li helming production.
Oh, did Lian Li handle production for this too? I noticed he didn't tie their name with the title of this forum so I just assumed it was a boutique run handled and funded by himself. It looks like he partnered up with Lian Li again for the A3 but the A4/B4 looks to be on his own too. That's why I was confused about the "small" production. Shipping a full container full of units by your lonesome is damn impressive considering the Slate Case was like an 18month process for just the 200 units.

Last edited:

loopaddiction

Chassis Packer
Dec 4, 2018
Oh, did Lian Li handle production for this too? I noticed he didn't tie their name with the title of this forum so I just assumed it was a boutique run handled and funded by himself. It looks like he partnered up with Lian Li again for the A3 but the A4/B4 looks to be on his own too. That's why I was confused about the "small" production. Shipping a full container full of units by your lonesome is damn impressive considering the Slate Case was like an 18month process for just the 200 units.
That's what I thought, but maybe I'm wrong. I haven't been following too closely the nitty gritty details of this launch, mainly because of how long it's taken to come to fruition. Just a shame it was a fart in the wind.

ronstew

Efficiency Noob
May 16, 2023
Dan,

I was anticipating the Newegg release. The timing would have been perfect for me. I am very disappointed, and I think you have let down a lot of people. This is not my first post on the matter, but the more I think about it the more I believe that you could sell at least two more containers full, and that you should. I am agreeing with the people who feel mistreated.

Ron

Reactions: PantherB

ronstew

Efficiency Noob
May 16, 2023
Dan,

On the subject of the V2, I think the render is ugly. But maybe you will do something about the looks as design proceeds. We all know that taste is personal, and some people will like what you are presenting.

One thing that the flat packing could do that I would appreciate is allow various orientations. I hang my SG13 under my desk, so footprint is not important to me. I want to have the motherboard on the bottom, like in a SG13. You could sell an optional kit for making the base into a side, and another to make the motherboard side into the base. I'd go the no-base route, but not many people can or want to hang their case.

Ron

elrd5150

Chassis Packer
Nov 26, 2022
On the subject of the V2, I think the render is ugly. But maybe you will do something about the looks as design proceeds. We all know that taste is personal, and some people will like what you are presenting.
That's true, I like the V2 design way more than V1, which looks too generic. In fact, design was the only thing I didn't like about V1.

Reactions: ronstew

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
I can only imagine if he did open up another V1 run, just to appease the masses, there would be so many angry purchases involved. Like screw this guy...but also, here's my money. That says something.
That must be one of the more stupids kinds of logic i've had the pleasure to come by. Actually, if he made another v1 run, this would mean he acknowledged the feedback and listened to his supporters....who would be "angry" then?

Dan, if you want to be the Yeezy of dope ITX drops, you do you man and I'm all for it
Yeah sure, but if he indeed wants to be some straight ballin' dope Yeezy rare ITX droppin' mofo, then I would like to know about that ASAP so I can go back to NCase before I cringe my guts out 👍

This MF'er produces and squeezes 1,500 - 2,000 units in a container for a first run and sells all of them.
And this MF'er somehow forgot to tell us MF'ers how many units he planned to cram into that MF'n container. Because as you can tell from the thread (which I assume you have read the better part of before posting), people are pretty frustrated about v1 selling out in 4 weeks after they've been teased for 3 years.

Reactions: PantherB

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
eh maybe I'm wrong. It does look like Lian Li handed manufacturing according to his website. Collab? Not-collab? Agree it's all very confusing and sad.
From what I know, Lian Li handled production of every single DAN product so far.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
eh maybe I'm wrong. It does look like Lian Li handed manufacturing according to his website. Collab? Not-collab? Agree it's all very confusing and sad.
LianLi is the OEM for every single case design by Dan so far. The difference is whether the case is a Lianli's product or it is a Dan Case's product. @dondan correct me if I'm wrong with the summary table below.

CaseDesignerManufacturerProduct's ownerDistribution / Retail
A4-H20DanLian LiLian LiLian Li
A4-SFXDanLian LiDan CaseNOT Lian Li - Caseking, OCUK, PCCR, Dirac, Orbit
C4-SFXDanLian LiDan CaseNOT Lian Li - Caseking, OCUK, Dirac, Orbit
A3-mATXDanLian LiLian LiLian Li

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
LianLi is the OEM for every single case design by Dan so far. The difference is whether the case is a Lianli's product or it is a Dan Case's product. @dondan correct me if I'm wrong with the summary table below.

CaseDesignerManufacturerProduct's ownerDistribution / Retail
A4-H20DanLian LiLian LiLian Li
A4-SFXDanLian LiDan CaseNOT Lian Li - Caseking, OCUK, PCCR, Dirac, Orbit
C4-SFXDanLian LiDan CaseNOT Lian Li - Caseking, OCUK, Dirac, Orbit
A3-mATXDanLian LiLian LiLian Li
Pretty sure you're correct. Lian Li has done manufacturing for NCase as well, I think for the entire lifetime of the M1. They must have a little boutique line that they rent out. I would suspect that you do have to book that line in advance, with a minimum number of units, so I can understand why Dan might have chosen to go with one run at first. However, the lack of communication, and apparent lack of follow-up for the demand that obviously exists, is not good. A pre-order with a delayed production seems like a good option, though I realize not everyone can afford to wait. My old ATX was dying so I bought one from Orbit and it wasn't cheap but it's what I wanted for air cooling and I could get it.

The redesign isn't ideal either; count me among those who prefer the V1 and wouldn't buy the v2 as it appears now. The frustration around the v1 issues is real and I feel for everyone dealing with it. :(

Reactions: thelaughingman

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I know a lot of people are understandably upset about the short run of the C4 but I think we are missing something important here. Dan is a smart guy and has a lot of time and effort invested in the design, manufacturing and distribution of this case. I think we can all agree that with the planned distribution and restock schedule that this case was designed for an extended run with multiple batches.
Now what I think happened is after the case released and reviews and user builds started to appear Dan spotted an issue, or potential issue, that was serious enough to end production immediately and redesign the case.
My guess is it involves the RTX 4090, burning/melting 12VHPWR cable and how much you need to bend the 12VHPWR cable when installed in the C4. I think Dan was worried about a bunch of C4s going up in smoke. Now I am probably talking out of my ass but that is my guess.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
No nothing is wrong with the v1. I just want to move on with v2.

What happens, if after one batch of v2 you get bored with that one too and want to "move on"?

Are you going to make clear how many will be available from the start so that people can make a proper buying decision whether to wait or not? Is it a long term production or just a another limited one-off?

Diesel

Cable Smoosher
Nov 1, 2022
If the new v2 is flat pack, does that mean it's made from machined aluminium? That sounds like it's only going to make it more expensive.

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
So, for all this, there's no other reason other than you can? That's strangely simple but appreciate the flex.
Animated GIF

Reactions: Covuk and Diesel