DAN C4-SFX

Oogar

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2023
Test
question for people who are running the C4 with Noctua NH-D12L, is it possible to do a 3 fan mount on the cooler while still also use 140mm case fan for outlet on the side?
I tried a couple combinations and attempts at getting the NH-D12L with 2 120mm fans but there doesn't seem to be enough room. Restricted by MB cable(s) position, I/O, and RAM. I ended up with the below configuration.

That 92mm fan at the back is essentially sitting on the motherboard I/O. The heatsink configuration was done as illustrated in the included documentation. Flipping the heatsink seemed impossible to mount.

Krulen

Efficiency Noob
May 23, 2023
Test

I tried a couple combinations and attempts at getting the NH-D12L with 2 120mm fans but there doesn't seem to be enough room. Restricted by MB cable(s) position, I/O, and RAM. I ended up with the below configuration.

That 92mm fan at the back is essentially sitting on the motherboard I/O. The heatsink configuration was done as illustrated in the included documentation. Flipping the heatsink seemed impossible to mount.
If you flip the NH-D12L you will have just enought place for an other Noctua NF-A12x25r on top of your ram (max height 34 mm to do so).
Was then able to reduce fan speed for the same temp on the cpu !

EDIT : I see you have a 140 mm fan, sorry, i don't think it is possible. I used an A12x25 on a 120 to 140 mm adaptator from noctua (Noctua NA-SFMA1).

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

Good news and bad news! The C4-SFX v1 is sold out. Nearly everyone that is on OcUK preorder will get a case. Caseking is now moving the last inventory to them.
Before you ask there will be not a second production run of the v1 !

I already startet my work on v2. I will change a lot of things so the v2 will be more like a C4-TWOt. I can show you more within the next two weeks. The v2 will be on preorder later this year and shipped early 2024.

Thank you for all of your support on C4-SFX v1. :)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks Dan, that was a surprise. I held back from ordering to see how the C4 settled into the market, so will definitely have to wait for one.
What has made you go to a large revision rather than continuing with v1 for the moment?

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
The C4-SFX v1 is sold out
Uhm, excuse me? You produced such a low amount of units that they sell out after less than 4 weeks?
We waited for years and now there is not even a stable supply (especially for those of us who sell systems)?

With your next project, please make it clear from the very beginning that there be will only 1 ultra limited production run.

Also, please next time tell the reviewers about the scarcity of the product, so system builders don't watch their videos and plan products with this case (or the next one...).

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks Dan, that was a surprise. I held back from ordering to see how the C4 settled into the market, so will definitely have to wait for one.
What has made you go to a large revision rather than continuing with v1 for the moment?

If I now continue the v1 there is a bit of danger for my reseller to sit on stock after v2 teaser/release.

Uhm, excuse me? You produced such a low amount of units that they sell out after less than 4 weeks?
We waited for years and now there is not even a stable supply (especially for those of us who sell systems)?

With your next project, please make it clear from the very beginning that there be will only 1 ultra limited production run.

Also, please next time tell the reviewers about the scarcity of the product, so system builders don't watch their videos and plan products with this case (or the next one...).

Ultra limited? We ordered a 40 feet container full of cases.
I am a very small company so a stable supply isnt possible. There will always be time frames where my cases are not available.
I am also interested in having a product years on the market with only tiny changes - but the v2 idea is too good not to made.
I am not in contact with any system builder so i do not think this is a problem.

Trust me the v2 will be as good as the v1. Here are some specs I can talk about:

- same layout as the v1
- a tiny bit less in volume
- new look
- flat pack (much easier for shipping and much more economic) - like IKEA
- hardware compatibility increased
- extra kits to customize colors

Last edited:

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
63° C gaming temp is not too bad.
And, what is the ambient temp (currently during gaming) ?
Ah apologies, 25-26° C at one point when I was gaming. Mainly due to having the office door shut because my wife isn't too keen on hearing Apex comms haha. Usual ambient is around 23-24° C.

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
I am a very small company so a stable supply isnt possible.
Please make that super clear next time. I know you are a small company but I did not expect the run to be sold out that quickly.

Also, the A4-SFX from several years ago is still available. How could I have known that the C4-SFX will only be available for a measly 4 weeks?

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
Please make that super clear next time. I know you are a small company but I did not expect the run to be sold out that quickly.

Also, the A4-SFX from several years ago is still available. How could I have known that the C4-SFX will only be available for a measly 4 weeks?
Is it though? Or are you talking about version 4.1 😀. Though I do understand the disappointment, I am sure many of the changes needed for the next iteration are only discovered after these are in peoples hands. Dan has to do what is best for his business and to deliver the best product possible.

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Is it though? Or are you talking about version 4.1
Well, at least Caseking even still has Version 2 ;)
So v2 did not even sell out before v3, v4 and v4.1 hit the market.

Let me put it in a different way: I would not be upset about the C4 v1 being sold out right now if I could just order a C4 v2.

I am sure many of the changes needed for the next iteration are only discovered after these are in peoples hands
Yeah cool, I'm not a beta tester but a business though.

SilentKnight

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2023
Well, at least Caseking even still has Version 2 ;)
So v2 did not even sell out before v3, v4 and v4.1 hit the market.

Let me put it in a different way: I would not be upset about the C4 v1 being sold out right now if I could just order a C4 v2.

Yeah cool, I'm not a beta tester but a business though.
Because A4 is a niche design, not that many people want a case that small? C4 is bigger and easier to build in. There is this design difference which would fit different people. You cannot expect the same demand level for two completely different products.

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Because A4 is a niche design, not that many people want a case that small? C4 is bigger and easier to build in. There is this design difference which would fit different people. You cannot expect the same demand level for two completely different products.
Without knowing the numbers, you cannot tell if there was less demand for the several versions of the A4-SFX or if they simply produced more units.

And what about the A4-H2O? It is smaller than the C4-SFX and is mostly limited to AiO cooling for the CPU, so it is "more niche" than a C4-SFX. Why was that design given to Lian Li to produce and market it? Why not do the same with the C4-SFX? I would prefer being able to buy an LL-branded C4 over not being able to buy a Dan-branded one.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
Without knowing the numbers, you cannot tell if there was less demand for the several versions of the A4-SFX or if they simply produced more units.

And what about the A4-H2O? It is smaller than the C4-SFX and is mostly limited to AiO cooling for the CPU, so it is "more niche" than a C4-SFX. Why was that design given to Lian Li to produce and market it? Why not do the same with the C4-SFX? I would prefer being able to buy an LL-branded C4 over not being able to buy a Dan-branded one.
I suppose it might be on the cards to do that later if Dan are looking at a v2 already even though virtually nobody outside reviewers can have built in one yet!

Better to nail the design a bit better first?

Overall a bit more info might be good for the future - it's been a week since the reviews hit the web and it's basically sold out everywhere. OCUK have removed it from their webstore already.

Reactions: Dampfbox

SilentKnight

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2023

Because he himself has to test the market first and see if there is enough people interested in it? Dan is a small business, if he produces too much and the actual sales doesn't reach the expectation, he will go out of business. Even Lian Li has to see if the product has high demand to even work with Dan. Dan cannot just go to Lian Li HQ and ask them "hey, lets build this together." Business does not work that way.

By giving the design to Lian Li, he has to share profit with them. This does not cover enough cost of R&D to Dan himself when he has to spend months on it.

If you want Lian Li case, go buy one from them. C4 is the one Dan designs (with help of community). You have no decision to where Dan wants to produce and sell his products on.

Last edited:

Oogar

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2023
If you flip the NH-D12L you will have just enought place for an other Noctua NF-A12x25r on top of your ram (max height 34 mm to do so).
Was then able to reduce fan speed for the same temp on the cpu !

EDIT : I see you have a 140 mm fan, sorry, i don't think it is possible. I used an A12x25 on a 120 to 140 mm adaptater from noctua (Noctua NA-SFMA1).
Makes sense! I also went with the commonly recommended G.Skill Trident Z Neo 6000mhz kit for Ryzen at a whopping 44mm tall so I am SOL there :D