DAN C4-SFX

rosioara

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
This is clean. I was about to order some shorter custom cables but looking at yours I don't think I need them.

I also have my parts already, not the case though I mistakenly ordered the A4, thinking I already ordered the C4, so when the case arrived I was like wow that fast and realized I got the A4 instead. I had to do the pre-order again and wait for batch 3...

I am still hesitating between doing AIO for CPU, or custom loop for CPU, or custom loop for both GPU and CPU. I have the 4090 FE and i9 13900K.

Parts:
- 2x 280mm Corsair rads.
- Pump/CPU block/res combo from EKWB.
- Bitspower Orion.
- i9 13900K
- ASUST Z790i
- 4090 FE.
- ASUS SFX-L 1000W.
- ZMT tubes.
- 2x25mm fans and 2x15mm fans.

Not sure if 2x280mm rad would be able to tame the i9 (power limited/undervolted), but I need it for coding works, and I love the C4... If it does not work I have to get a 360mm rad and mount it outside on the top of the case.
I was tempted to order custom cables with Corsair SF1000L but knowing I will get them in 3-4 weeks I decided to give it a try with Asus Loki. So I am using the original cables. I managed with no difficulty to package the the mainboard and cpu cables together in the space between the PSU and mainboard and tied them there. I did not install the mini add on card (the one that has the SATA ports) to save some space but I would have succeeded anyway with that installed.

The AIO tubes are sufficiently flexible; one goes towards the top, close to the GPU. The other goes at the bottom of the case.

I was in doubt which AIO should I get. I spent hours seeing all the 280mm AIO reviews. I noticed that only the Be Quiet one allows to connect the pump directly to the mainboard, without needing a SATA cable and connecting the AIO to a USB 2.0 port. So I went for that to avoid any additional cables sitting in between the limited space and hitting the fans blades.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Below is a pic showing a C4-SFX containing a SSD installed on the rear of the mobo.
What kind of temp should one expect for such a location?
Anyone? Please report (ssd brand and model, ambient temp and gaming temp). Thanks.

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Oh yeah

My bad. So it's like 24mm + 30mm + 25mm = 79mm (plus like 2-3mm, according to his photos) (so 81-82mm)

The Bitspower Orion block installed on my card is 34.2mm thick (measured from the backplate.)

So, I have 3 options:
  • 280mm x 30mm thick rad + 15mm fan => 79mm total
  • 280mm x 20mm thick rad + 25mm fan => 79mm total
  • 280mm x 20mm thick rad + 15mm fan => 69mm total.
I am going to assume it's bad leaving too little space between the fan and the water block, so I am leaning towards the last option.

If 2-3mm between fans and block is fine, then which one between the first two options work better? IMO, 30mm rad is very slim already, and the Artic P14 15mm fan is not a bad fan either.
If its any food for thought, I am doing a twin rad build and for the top rad I will do the last option on the list and run an Alphacool ST20 280mm rad (https://shop.alphacool.com/shop/rad...l-nexxxos-st20-hpe-full-copper-280mm-radiator) and like you have said some P14 slim fans (https://www.arctic.de/en/P14-Slim-PWM-PST/ACFAN00268A).

Also looking to run the Alphacool single slot 4090 cooler.

Have all the parts except the damn case! I have an order with pccasegear but they say Sep for stock 🤣

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
If its any food for thought, I am doing a twin rad build and for the top rad I will do the last option on the list and run an Alphacool ST20 280mm rad (https://shop.alphacool.com/shop/rad...l-nexxxos-st20-hpe-full-copper-280mm-radiator) and like you have said some P14 slim fans (https://www.arctic.de/en/P14-Slim-PWM-PST/ACFAN00268A).

Also looking to run the Alphacool single slot 4090 cooler.

Have all the parts except the damn case! I have an order with pccasegear but they say Sep for stock 🤣
20mm rad + 25mm fans should fit with a waterblocked GPU?

As mentioned, some other fellow earlier in the thread is running a 30mm rad with 20mm fans and it fits. Though, doesn't leave enough space between fan/gpu for my tastes.

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
Below is a pic showing a C4-SFX containing a SSD installed on the rear of the mobo.
Anyone? Please report (ssd brand and model, ambient temp and gaming temp). Thanks.

Thats my build, I can get you more information Monday/Tuesday when I have a chance to game on it. I never had any issues with this in a sandwich layout case so here everything should be more than fine (not sandwiched between a gpu, has ventilation from the perforated side panels)

Reactions: tinyitx

blackreplica

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2019
As mentioned, some other fellow earlier in the thread is running a 30mm rad with 20mm fans and it fits. Though, doesn't leave enough space between fan/gpu for my tastes.

If you are referring to this post, he is running 30mm rad + 25mm fan (there is no 15mm 140mm noctua fan) + waterblocked single slot GPU and to my eyes there is plenty of breathing space. I am planning on doing the same with another single slot GPU + 280 EKWB rad + 25mm noctua fan

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
question for people who are running the C4 with Noctua NH-D12L, is it possible to do a 3 fan mount on the cooler while still also use 140mm case fan for outlet on the side?

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Finally got GPU, 7900xt pulse. Did some fermark runs last night and after setting up own fan curve on case fans and on GPU temp were mid 60s and hot junction at mid 70s. Really happy with that, never expected to have it at that temps.

Reactions: dondan

Vaettir

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 3, 2022

I have a 2TB 970 Evo Plus in that slot and I had it hit 90C at one point. This is pretty typical for the 2TB model since it just gets really hot. I installed a really slim laptop m.2 heatsink on it and it seems to have done a decent job in keeping the controller cool enough and fitting behing the backpanel.

I used that heatsink above and you can easily fit the 1mm thermal pad.

Vaettir

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 3, 2022
I have a 2TB 970 Evo Plus in that slot and I had it hit 90C at one point. This is pretty typical for the 2TB model since it just gets really hot. I installed a really slim laptop m.2 heatsink on it and it seems to have done a decent job in keeping the controller cool enough and fitting behing the backpanel.

I used that heatsink above and you can easily fit the 1mm thermal pad.

The link from Amazon isn't working so I posted the image of what it looks like instead.

Reactions: tinyitx and rfarmer

astheria

Case Bender
New User
Sep 24, 2015
For anyone who made my mistake and purchased the Asus X670E-I motherboard and wanted to use additional 2.5" SSD sata drives:

The daughterboard sata ports conflict with mounting the PSU within the bracket. There's plenty of clearance to fit in a pair of 2.5" SSD's "floating" between the psu and exhaust fan if: you're using an SFX psu and air cooling the cpu.

I don't think SFX-L would be compatible unless by some act of god you have no cables exiting the PSU at the same position as the sata ports.

Overarch6654

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 5, 2023
For anyone who made my mistake and purchased the Asus X670E-I motherboard and wanted to use additional 2.5" SSD sata drives:

The daughterboard sata ports conflict with mounting the PSU within the bracket. There's plenty of clearance to fit in a pair of 2.5" SSD's "floating" between the psu and exhaust fan if: you're using an SFX psu and air cooling the cpu.

I don't think SFX-L would be compatible unless by some act of god you have no cables exiting the PSU at the same position as the sata ports.
Could you share a picture of what you mean by the PSU conflicting with ports?
I had similar issue in NR200 where daughter board was very close to PSU, I was able to solve it with the low profile right angled Silverstone sata cables, would that not work in his case?

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023

Yes I ran into exactly this problem. Some pics here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.12329/page-162#post-277254

I purchased a "left angle" sata cable which I'll use at some point:

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
@StressedOutCat & @Senaxx

C14S and D12L are close. I use C14S because I like the fact of two 140mm fans pushing air outside the case.
The D12L picture is from me and was just a early prototype picture. Please install D12L like shown in the manual!
Dan stupid question just to confirm. Do you mean your C14S is configured to push air out as in both fans are pulling air from the motherboard below the cpu cooler and pushing out? If so isn’t this a worse option for cpu cooling?

astheria

Case Bender
New User
Sep 24, 2015
Could you share a picture of what you mean by the PSU conflicting with ports?
I had similar issue in NR200 where daughter board was very close to PSU, I was able to solve it with the low profile right angled Silverstone sata cables, would that not work in his case?
That could work, though if you look into the quality of those cables it may unsettle you (there's exposed wire beneath the sticker on each end), that was going to be my initial solution as well.

I've paneled my build back up, but the issue is that the sata cables exit sideways, directly into the psu. The solution for me was simply front-mounting a SFX PSU as it leaves a ton of room next to the side of the motherboard where these ports are.

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019

Temps after a day of work and gaming, the 2TB is the one in the back slot, game currently still running.