DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hey Dan,

Will the case come apart as FormD T1 v2.0 or will the Full case be assembled in the box? Thanks

It is assembled.

BeQuiet SilentWings 4 or BeQuiet SilentWings 4 Pro?

I have a feeling that I will need to make a check-in next to my table if I set the Pro version of the fan
None Pro

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Which cooling setups would a 92mm fan be useful for / compatible with? In these setups which orientation would the fan be used (intake or exhaust)?

Maybe intake with a 240/280 rad? Or exhaust with a C14S? It's hard to imagine the 92mm fan actually fitting with either of these cooling configs though.
I was thinking rear intake for a 280mm rad to bring down CPU temps, or exhaust for a CPU air cooler?

Reactions: boundary-stone

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
I was thinking rear intake for a 280mm rad to bring down CPU temps, or exhaust for a CPU air cooler?
Would the 92mm fan *fit* with a 280 rad installed though? And which air coolers would it fit with?

As far as I can tell the majority of the air coolers on the C4-SFX recommended air cooler list are dual towers or top down coolers that would obstruct the 92mm rear fan mount.

If that's correct won't 92mm rear fan compatibility be limited to 240 rads with standard thickness / fan thickness and single tower coolers like U9S?

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
I think a D12L or U9S could benifit from a rear fan everything else not.
Could you get a semi dual fan D12L setup this way without needing ULP RAM like you need if going the 2x A12x25r fan route?

That is to say will a D12L with the single stock A12x25r fan combined with a rear mounted A9 (or similar 92mm fan) for intake allow for full RAM compatibility?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The dual A12x25 will create more pressure through the heatink i dont think a rear fan will help with it. Keep in mind die diff with dual or singl fan is just 2-4°C

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
The dual A12x25 will create more pressure through the heatink i dont think a rear fan will help with it. Keep in mind die diff with dual or singl fan is just 2-4°C
Those are my thoughts as well.

Just to confirm - rear 92mm fan would work with D12L with single stock A12x25r, but you wouldn't recommend bothering with mounting one? And you also would recommend bothering with adding a second A12x25r fan to a D12L if you're using a D12L unless you actually need the 2-4C?

All the product shots with D12L show dual fan D12L, but didn't seem like a config that would make sense for most. The D12L does look sexier with two fans though 😂

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
Given how many fans can fit in this case, is there any indication that a CPU+GPU liquid-cooled dual radiator setup will perform markedly better than a purely air-cooled setup?

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Given how many fans can fit in this case, is there any indication that a CPU+GPU liquid-cooled dual radiator setup will perform markedly better than a purely air-cooled setup?
Wouldn't this depend on your build goals? Air cooling is best for silence, liquid cooling for maximum watts. Guessing liquid cooling in this case would only make sense with a 13900K or overclocked 4090 using a 600W capable bios. The C4-SFX's recommended air cooling configs seems to be designed primarily to isolate CPU / GPU exhaust from affecting the temps of other components so water cooling won't help as much in that area as it does in some other SFF cases.

SFF counterintuitively really plays well to the strengths of air-cooling - strapping 2x 140mm intake fans onto a 15 liter chassis is going to get you double the effective air exchange rate vs using 2x 140mm intake fans on a 30 liter chassis (or triple using 2x 140mm fans on a 45 liter chassis). As an example 2x 140mm fans on the C4-SFX should get you 3x the air exchange of 2x 140mm fans on a mid-tower like the Fractal North (~45 liter).

Reactions: rfarmer

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
Wouldn't this depend on your build goals? Air cooling is best for silence, liquid cooling for maximum watts.
Yes, one's goals would impact one's part selection, but I beg to differ that "air cooling is best for silence, liquid cooling for maximum watts." There are plenty of people who build liquid cooled rigs for silence over air cooled. GPUs have never been known for their silence at load.

Reactions: boundary-stone

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Yes, one's goals would impact one's part selection, but I beg to differ that "air cooling is best for silence, liquid cooling for maximum watts." There are plenty of people who build liquid cooled rigs for silence over air cooled. GPUs have never been known for their silence at load.
For clarity if you want silence air cooling is the only option - if it has a pump it's not silent. That said plenty of builds can't be cooled sufficiently, especially at full CPU / GPU load, with silent air cooling options at which point water cooling could definitely offer better noise normalized "quiet" cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antioch

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
Indeed, all moving parts produce some sort of noise and pumps must not be forgotten.

Water cooling support: Dual 240 or 280mm radiator with 140x140x25mm fans
Does this mean that a second 280mm radiator with 25mm fans can also be mounted in the top chamber above a single-slot watercooled GPU? Or, is the top only wide enough for a 240mm radiator?