DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Can the bottom cover below the CPU cooler (05 in the manual's parts list) be attached when the C14S is installed?

Found a reference to this not being possible, but I think it was from before the production version was finalized.
It depends on you socket position on motherboard!

Examples:
GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI = Noctua C14s will only fit with cover removed
MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge WIFI = Noctua C14s will only fit with cover removed

ASRock B550M-ITX/ac = Noctua C14s should fit with cover attached
ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming = Noctua C14s should fit with cover attached

Reactions: boundary-stone

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
It depends on you socket position on motherboard!

Examples:
GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI = Noctua C14s will only fit with cover removed
MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge WIFI = Noctua C14s will only fit with cover removed

ASRock B550M-ITX/ac = Noctua C14s should fit with cover attached
ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming = Noctua C14s should fit with cover attached
Will C14S fit with cover attached on AM5 boards?

Specifically will it the cover attach on the Asus B650E-I, MSI B650I and X670E-I that are the most popular AM5 ITX options?

mackerel

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 12, 2023
Will the asus 4070 ti tuf fit?
GPU dimensions: 305 x 138 x 65 mm
Case GPU Compatibility
A: 336 x 145 x 60 mm
B: 334 x 137 x 78 mm

What is the difference between A & B gpu compatibility from the manual? Is there something blocking taller cards that are more than 3 slots wide?
Based on B configuration it almost fits. Does the height limit include the power connection or is it for the gpu only?

As for the power supply, from what I can gather from the photos and the manual when using an SFX-L PSU you can't use the air duct correct?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Will C14S fit with cover attached on AM5 boards?

Specifically will it the cover attach on the Asus B650E-I, MSI B650I and X670E-I that are the most popular AM5 ITX options?

Asus = Should work
Asrock = maybe
MSI = no

Will the asus 4070 ti tuf fit?
GPU dimensions: 305 x 138 x 65 mm
Case GPU Compatibility
A: 336 x 145 x 60 mm
B: 334 x 137 x 78 mm

What is the difference between A & B gpu compatibility from the manual? Is there something blocking taller cards that are more than 3 slots wide?
Based on B configuration it almost fits. Does the height limit include the power connection or is it for the gpu only?

As for the power supply, from what I can gather from the photos and the manual when using an SFX-L PSU you can't use the air duct correct?

Asus 4070 tuf schould fit

A-B= depending on the slot count you can use longer and wider cards

With SFX-L in default position you cant use fan duct but you can use anti sag
With SFX-L frontmount you can use both.

caboose

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
I’ve been digging through the forum here looking for mention of the cable length recommended for the 12VHPWR cable when using the 4090 FE but haven’t seen numbers mentioned. I thought a little 12” would be fine but some of Dan’s most recent images show the cable routed up over the top of the GPU so curious if that’s necessary due to fitment restrictions or purely person preference?

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
I think you can't really tell until you fit your own Hardware into the case, cause every setup is (slightly) different: positions of plugs on GPUs / Mainboards. Other Hardware in Case (Fans, Tubes, Rads, ...) that affect cable routing, size/positioning of the PSU, etc.

I also would love to have everything ordered and ready when the case arrives, but the cable-mod order needs to wait until everythings in the case i assume :-)

caboose

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
I think you can't really tell until you fit your own Hardware into the case, cause every setup is (slightly) different: positions of plugs on GPUs / Mainboards. Other Hardware in Case (Fans, Tubes, Rads, ...) that affect cable routing, size/positioning of the PSU, etc.

I also would love to have everything ordered and ready when the case arrives, but the cable-mod order needs to wait until everythings in the case i assume :-)
Definitely agree with you don't want to be pre-ordering everything for a build just to be ahead of the game. Current case doesn't fit the obscenely sized 4090 due to the power connector and radiator placement so I've had the radiator just sitting on the shelf next to the computer and it keeps slowly moving/falling down due to cable length and placement. Thought if I could get the rough size required for the HVPWR cable that might give me enough clearance to reassemble the current build in the meantime so I don't have to keep messing with it or risk a tube eventually leaking from all the shifting/bending. I made a relocation bracket for the rad yesterday after posting that question though and that seems to do the trick for now.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Asus = Should work
Asrock = maybe
MSI = no
Is the Noctua D12L fully compatible with all these boards then in it's stock single fan configuration?

The inability to swap the fan on the D12L due to the A12x25r fan's custom shape isn't ideal - superior motherboard / case compatability when used in the C4-SFX would make it a lot more appealing though.

Also, the manual pdf clearly features the C14S as an example of a compatible air cooling option so the poor compatibility in practice depending on user motherboard choice could create a lot of user frustration. It may be worth updating the "recommended coolers" section on the C4-SFX site to reflect which of the listed coolers can experience compatability issues when used in the C4-SFX and what they are (https://www.dan-cases.com/c4sfx_spec.html).

Obviously you can't test everything, but two quick suggestions to improve the current recommended coolers list:
(1) if a recommended air coolers is affected by mobo socket position when used in this case indicate this clearly
(2) separately list air coolers that will fit *without* the side fan mount bracket installed (ie. 150mm tall options)

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The inability to swap the fan on the D12L due to the A12x25r fan's custom shape isn't ideal -

You can use other fans with similar shapes like the new BeQuiet SilentWings 4 ;) I changed my fans on the D12L.

Is the Noctua D12L fully compatible with all these boards then in it's stock single fan configuration?

Noctuas Website does have a compatibility section.

Also, the manual pdf clearly features the C14S as an example of a compatible air cooling option so the poor compatibility in practice depending on user motherboard choice could create a lot of user frustration.

For me its look like you have a big problem with removing a bottom cover to fit the C14S. Why is this such a big deal for you?

Last edited:

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
You can use other fans with similar shapes like the new BeQuiet SilentWings 4 ;) I changed my fans on the D12L.

You're right that some other similarly shaped 120x25 fans can fit depending on the fan / motherboard setup. I was thinking about it more relative to the C14S fan swap options since the C14S can fit any 120x25, 120x30 or 140x25 fan(s).

Noctuas Website has a compatibility section.
I meant is D12L compatability with the C4-SFX affected by motherboard socket position? Are there boards that the D12L is compatible with, but that will have fitment issues in the C4-SFX due to the socket (like the C14S)?

Last edited:

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
For me it looks like you have a big problem with removing a bottom cover to fit the C14S. Why is this such a big deal for you?
One of the big benefits of SFF is portability. Having to leave the case open during transport would be a drawback of the C14S. Personally wouldn't mind it though since I don't need portability often.

I'm definitely going with a C14S / Asus B650E-I setup. It'll be nice to have lots of fan options - dual 140x25, dual 120x25, 120x30 / 140x30 top fans with the C4-SFX side fan bracket removed etc..

I feel like 140mm fans in particular are going to get really interesting this year with both a T30 140x30 and A14x25 140x25 on the horizon. Having so many 140mm fan mounts on a 15L chassis is a huge part of the C4-SFX's appeal.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
A full equipt C4 with up to date hardware isnt very light. Transportation to LAN parties is ok but i would not take it on a flight or longer trip. For this use case the A4-SFX is much better.

My Sliger S610 is pretty heavy going to weekly LAN nights, thankfully the handle works brilliantly.
I'd have to make a webbing carry strap for a C4 like I had for my NCase M1 if I used it for LAN duty.
I think it would be better off with a C4 at home and take something smaller out & about.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
My Sliger S610 is pretty heavy going to weekly LAN nights, thankfully the handle works brilliantly.
I'd have to make a webbing carry strap for a C4 like I had for my NCase M1 if I used it for LAN duty.
I think it would be better off with a C4 at home and take something smaller out & about.
Interesting. To me the difference between 10L and 15L doesn't seem significant since the weight isn't enough to be problematic in a small backpack and the dimensions are still small enough to fit into most bags easily.

I do feel like 18-25L is clearly pushing the limit of portability though - especially if using a full size ATX psu. Like the NR200 even at the low end of that range (18L) feels like kind of a stretch.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Interesting. To me the difference between 10L and 15L doesn't seem significant since the weight isn't enough to be problematic in a small backpack and the dimensions are still small enough to fit into most bags easily.

I do feel like 18-25L is clearly pushing the limit of portability though - especially if using a full size ATX psu. Like the NR200 even at the low end of that range (18L) feels like kind of a stretch.
I used to carry a 28L mATX case (TJ08) to LAN nights and that was fine. That case is now used by a friend who has realised at long last that bringing a full ATX tower is a bad move. Admittedly he lives down the road from our host, but a 28L case with a sturdy handle is a much better solution than hefting a full tower even a short distance.

I agree with what you say there @boundary-stone, 10 to 15 L is still backpackable and can go long distance, while 20+L is suitcase territory and potentially more liable to damage.

In my case (sorry!) I'm looking to go to 7 L for my really portable rig.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I agree that there's no clear volume boundary in terms of "backpack-able" or "plane-able". To me it's probably 7L. But a stronger person can easily carry like what, 15L? Anyway if there's a will then there's a way :)

The limitation is more on the rules & regulations that apply to each mode of transportation.

And yeah the usual stuff, don't be a jerk. For example, if you take your 15L case + 17" portable screen in your backpack, be mindful with your surroundings. Or probably take a cab instead of the crowded train.

Igor_B

Trash Compacter
Jan 9, 2022
There will be no preorder. Direct order on availibilty date. If you subscript to my newsletter you will get a reminder 7 days before launch. There will be also a countdown on my website.

Here you can buy it:

EU customers = Caseking
Australia = PCCaseGear
US, CANADA, UK, NewZealand, Norway, Emirates s.o = OverclockersUK
Japan = Dirac

Hey Dan,

Will the case come apart as FormD T1 v2.0 or will the Full case be assembled in the box? Thanks

Igor_B

Trash Compacter
Jan 9, 2022

Noctuas Website does have a compatibility section.

For me its look like you have a big problem with removing a bottom cover to fit the C14S. Why is this such a big deal for you?
BeQuiet SilentWings 4 or BeQuiet SilentWings 4 Pro?

I have a feeling that I will need to make a check-in next to my table if I set the Pro version of the fan