DAN C4-SFX

Tea

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2022
So with the C14s config, It is not designed to be portable. I can't really travel with it as the C14s just pop out of the frame. It is more stationary.

joynek

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 24, 2022
Are there any plans to add in high quality dust filters for the intakes? Would love to some magnetic options or ones like from fractal design torrent line.

Reactions: Rndrn

remotebert

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2021
Removeable bottom plate for high C14s compatibility.

I guess it's not possible to add a small amount of height to accommodate the c14s without the trapdoor?

Reactions: Tea

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The bottom cover is needed anyway. You will much better and easier access to the motherboard for connecting fan , led or EPS header.
True i could increase the distance from the motherboard to the bottom but this would increase the size of the case while this is a smart solution.

Tea

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2022
I guess it's not possible to add a small amount of height to accommodate the c14s without the trapdoor?
The case looks so good until I found that out as well. If you look at T1 Ref, sub 10L case but able to fit C14s and 2.25 slot card all together. But then again, sub 10L is a bit small for my interest.

pr0m3t

Chassis Packer
Jan 17, 2022
You can unmount the cooler while traveling I guess. I assume you won't take the case in a plane with you every day ?

Tea

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2022
The bottom cover is needed anyway. You will much better and easier access to the motherboard for connecting fan , led or EPS header.
True i could increase the distance from the motherboard to the bottom but this would increase the size of the case while this is a smart solution.
Hey Dondan, no disrespect to you at all😃! But for me, I disagree a part of it. It's true that having a removable cover plate at the bottom would be so much easier to access the motherboard. But an enclosure case that is also not enclosed is kind of odd to me. I do feel like this is more of an afterthought on the design. Also, it would be even more difficult to come up with some kind of air filter for the system. As I do see C14s cooler kind of poke out a little outside the case.

You can unmount the cooler while traveling I guess. I assume you won't take the case in a plane with you every day ?
Yes, I could, but it is more of an excuse to say to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The case looks so good until I found that out as well. If you look at T1 Ref, sub 10L case but able to fit C14s and 2.25 slot card all together. But then again, sub 10L is a bit small for my interest.
The T1-Ref and C4-SFX have the same "problem". If the C14S overhang your board a lot it will interfer with the bottom panel. For the T1 you have to buy a new motherboard to fit the C14S on the C4 just remove the bottom cover and if you like to have the C14S inside the case but a motherboard with a more centered socket.

Tea

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2022
The T1-Ref and C4-SFX have the same "problem". If the C14S overhang your board a lot it will interfer with the bottom panel. For the T1 you have to buy a new motherboard to fit the C14S on the C4 just remove the bottom cover and if you like to have the C14S inside the case but a motherboard with a more centered socket.
Hey Dondan, just to be clear, C4-SFX technically could support C14s cooler without removing the plate, but it is very dependent on the motherboard. So with a motherboard no so center socket, this would be an option to make it work. For a motherboard with the socket in the center, the case does not need to remove the bottom plate. Is that correct? Thank you

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Hey Dondan, just to be clear, C4-SFX technically could support C14s cooler without removing the plate, but it is very dependent on the motherboard. So with a motherboard no so center socket, this would be an option to make it work. For a motherboard with the socket in the center, the case does not need to remove the bottom plate. Is that correct? Thank you

It's just as it as always been with SFF ... plan your build carefully and pick the right components for the right chassis ... or go with big "SFF" case like the NR200P and forget about compatiblity issue.

Fitting a C14 in a 10L case is already a miracle. It has a 163x140mm footprint while ITX is 170x170mm. Here's a pic of my C14 (non-S) on a thin mini-ITX to give you an idea of the size :

Tea

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2022
Hopefully there’s some kind of spreadsheet to show which motherboard will support C14s with and without bottom plate.

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
It’s like Ncase with GPU support list. There will have some people trying new hardware everytime. Why would I start something that I’m not develop on? I didn’t design the case.
But you do have all the necessary dimensions to determine if a given motherboard will work with the cooler that you want to pair with it, and if you choose not to think about it, Dan has given you an alternative to make it work. No case manufacturer will maintain a list of every piece of hardware that comes out that you want to try without bothering to take a measurement, or look up a spec sheet. SFF requires some minimal thought and compromise. If you want neither, get something bigger.

Tea

Cable Smoosher
Feb 24, 2022
But you do have all the necessary dimensions to determine if a given motherboard will work with the cooler that you want to pair with it, and if you choose not to think about it, Dan has given you an alternative to make it work. No case manufacturer will maintain a list of every piece of hardware that comes out that you want to try without bothering to take a measurement, or look up a spec sheet. SFF requires some minimal thought and compromise. If you want neither, get something bigger.
I think you are missing my point. I do not mean to tell Dan go buy every single motherboards to test it out for every generation. What I mean is a spreadsheet that tell which motherboard could work and which would likely not. And that kind of experiences are usually share online. It’s like Ncase M1 Compatibility List, alot of information are backup by someone build and use that specific part.

And of course, many case manufacturers are not interested in SFF cases because why would they. Why would they spend more money for those kind of troublesome, just based on standard and good to go. They could cut the cost down, mass produce it and be very competitive with other case manufacturers. But SFF is different from my perspective. I’m paying much more, easily 200-300 US dollars for small form factor. There should be some kind of compatibility list to back it up.

MOD BREAK: I've merged your 2 posts. Please use the edit button instead of double posting, this will improve the thread readability.

Last edited by a moderator:

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
I think you are missing my point. I do not mean to tell Dan go buy every single motherboards to test it out for every generation. What I mean is a spreadsheet that tell which motherboard could work and which would likely not. And that kind of experiences are usually share online. It’s like Ncase M1 Compatibility List, alot of information are backup by someone build and use that specific part.
Clearly you're missing the point. The information you need has already been made available to you. If you want to experiment with hardware that's right up against, or in technical violation of the published limits, that's your business. Go ahead and make a community supported spreadsheet, or report your findings to Dan.

Your money buys you a well-designed, and well-manufactured case utilizing expensive materials and small-batch processes. It doesn't buy you a complete lack of limitations, or hand-holding.

Reactions: rfarmer

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

And of course, many case manufacturers are not interested in SFF cases because why would they. Why would they spend more money for those kind of troublesome, just based on standard and good to go. They could cut the cost down, mass produce it and be very competitive with other case manufacturers. But SFF is different from my perspective. I’m paying much more, easily 200-300 US dollars for small form factor. There should be some kind of compatibility list to back it up.

MOD BREAK: I've merged your 2 posts. Please use the edit button instead of double posting, this will improve the thread readability.

What @DrHudacris suggested is your best option. Noctua keeps an updated compatibility list ... if the C14S is stated as "overhang the motherboard", then it won't work, period.

As @incunabula mentioned, you're paying more because of the high quality and very small batch. It costs more to produce a batch of a few hundred chassis than 10s of thousands. I think that Dan's time is better used at improving the case rather than guestimating if a combo will work or not.

... and I'm keeping an eye on this thread ... I'm counting on everyone to keep this civil and constructive.