DAN C4-SFX

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Another topic is internal parts. If you own(ed) a A4 or M1 you know that the paint get easily scratched. Normal painting does not stick very well on aluminum. Should I move to steel for the internal parts. The weight would be 3.5kg vs 1.7kg.
I can attest to that. But wow, x2 the weight for different colour is a trade-off I would never do. But to each their own I suppose.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Another topic is internal parts. If you own(ed) a A4 or M1 you know that the paint get easily scratched. Normal painting does not stick very well on aluminum. Should I move to steel for the internal parts. The weight would be 3.5kg vs 1.7kg.
I'm thinking this is less portable than the A4 since it's larger so if the use case is for it to sit in one place, I don't think weight matters. I also don't know if there's a price difference but I'd imagine there'd be a shipping price difference. Personally, I care less about internals since I'm not looking at the inside but those that like glass panels might have more input.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I can attest to that. But wow, x2 the weight for different colour is a trade-off I would never do. But to each their own I suppose.
It has nothing to do with different colors. The weight has to do going from aluminum to steel to have a more robust painting on internal parts and the top panel.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
It has nothing to do with different colors. The weight has to do going from aluminum to steel to have a more robust painting on internal parts and the top panel.
I understand, you're only considering internal steel parts because of the different colours right? So basically it's a choice of (1) 1.7 kg in black & white vs. (2) 1.7kg in colours with scratched internals vs. (3) 3.5kg in colours with no scratched internals

My point is I would never go from (1) to (3), but who knows, maybe there are enough people/demand to make (3) becomes real.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
I think Dan meant not that you can add $20 to your order and pick an arbitrary color (kind of logistics nightmare), but "providing each additional color choice will drive the price up by $20"; i.e. price is uniform regardless of color, three additional colors to choose from -- additional $60 even for a black one.
That is not how Dan stated it. As his response a bit further down explains, my understanding of his statement is correct. I do thank you for the alternative perspective though. Different countries, different languages, different people with different ideals, descriptions and points of view can be misinterpreted easily.
Cant you just paint the silver one? just scuff it up and paint over it.
I would rather be able to buy the item in the color I prefer. I don't want to pay for a finish then work to refinish it because the finish it was finished in wasn't the finish I want. 🤣
@fish.ch @Questors:

Every new color next to silver or black has to match a MOQ. Every case with the new color will costs me $20 more (now you have to add RMA units/parts, TAX, percental profit, Reseller percental profit). EXAMPLE: So at the end a silver or black unit will costs $200 while a red unit would costs ~$230 or more.
If the request is high enough extra colors are possible.
^ Yes. This. I am fine with spending a bit more to get what I prefer. Operative word here is, bit. There is a limit. To me spending about $235.00 USD-ish for a custom color is fine.
Yes, this is true. I also know new paint techniques and compounds that are used in the paint and painting processes yield great results. Take a look at the aluminum body panels on vehicles and boats.

I have done the "scuff up" method of paint preparing aluminum in the Navy and at home for various projects. Using self-etching primer or a product designed to etch soft metals as a preparation for painting works very well. In the end I get it though. You have to keep the project cost effective and you can never make a product all things to all people. It is simply impossible. I prefer a color choice, but in the end, it isn't the only deciding factor to making a purchase.
If carrying around in backpack or other, I completely agree. The heavier steel to aluminum weight difference is significant. I don't generally carry my PCs around. To me, that aspect isn't important, but only up to a point. I don't want to have rent a lift truck to do maintenance either. Then again my current rig is a 5 radiator double D5 dual pedestal custom water loop CaseLabs Merlin ST10. Thank the good Lord for wheels and refrigerator sized doors.
^ This.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I understand, you're only considering internal steel parts because of the different colours right?

No. I consider internal steel parts to have a more premium product. On aluminum the paint get easily scratched on steel not. But like @Questors said maybe I have to aks Lian Li for a different painting technic to achiev this on aluminium too.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
I understand, you're only considering internal steel parts because of the different colours right? So basically it's a choice of (1) 1.7 kg in black & white vs. (2) 1.7kg in colours with scratched internals vs. (3) 3.5kg in colours with no scratched internals

My point is I would never go from (1) to (3), but who knows, maybe there are enough people/demand to make (3) becomes real.
If it's sitting on a desk, deck or shelf and not hefted constantly, this weight difference will matter little. Pick any PC chassis empty, then that same chassis full of ready to run components. It is a guaranteed reality check into how much components weigh after final assembly. You won't feel that extra weight when all the weight is combined.

Dan can make the case in whatever color(s) allow the project make most sense to the success of the project. Colors brighten things up. Who couldn't use some cheer these days? In the end, as I previously stated, colors are part of and not the entirety of my purchasing decision.

paqji

Efficiency Noob
Jan 16, 2020
I hate to go against the grain of adding weight, but I feel like it’s worth mentioning that being a lightweight 1.7kg in the 13.37L form factor that can house a 280mm radiator should be a standout amongst other cases. I would point out that there are a few cases already on the market with a similar footprint such as the COOJ Z13, and ACAT X2 which will occupy a similar price point, house 280mm AIOs, be of similar volume, and also be in traditional layout, albeit these two cases are mainly distributed on Taobao. Both these cases above utilize steel internals and are 3-4kg. The recently released Lian Li Q58 is also 3-4kg and 14.3L, and does all the above except is a sandwich layout case. I think it would add some uniqueness and niche being lightweight. This is also unpopular but I prefer the finish of high quality anodized aluminum on cases over steel simply so I can have IQUNIX flavored case to stand out from my fellow SFF enthusiasts.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
I have an A4 and a T1 I haven't had too many issues with the black paint on either.

I think aluminium is the way to go, I'd rather have the weight savings.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I bought my NCase M1 used, and the internal frame was scratched up in places.
It didn't look good, so I took it to one of my customers who is a car body repairer.

He rubbed it down and painted it with car paint and lacquer, it's a way better finish than from the factory

panda_spud

Efficiency Noob
Sep 14, 2021
Personally, I feel that the Dan C4 is already too large to carry around regularly anyways. Weight savings should mainly be considered in cases <10L like the T1. As long as the exterior still has the high quality aluminium finish and shipping costs are still reasonable, I support the interior steel parts since those are the parts most likely to be damaged during the PC build

jughead0

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2021
@dondan I'm sorry to bug, but I'm just trying to figure out which PSU position is no longer supported. The one where the fan faces one of the side panels or the one where it faces the front/back?

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
I beg to differ. I tinker with my build a lot when I don't travel so the weight matter to me. again, YMMV applies as in most situation.
You are free to differ if course. If everyone always agreed, there would be no variety in life.

I would like to point out that you missed the most important part of my statement. The weight of chassis full will be significantly heavier than empty (of course). Once the weight of the components is added in, one will be hard pressed to feel that particular 3-ish lbs.

All that said, you are perfectly fine to decide your own preferences (again of course) and I intend no malice. The C4F made fully from aluminum is fine to me as well. As long the case is solidly built.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
No idea how the case is supposed to look now, but I think the new NR200P MAX case provides an excellent layout (at least for water cooling) with the vertical GPU only, and a 280mm radiator in the top. Hopefully the C4 looks something like that, in the end.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
No idea how the case is supposed to look now, but I think the new NR200P MAX case provides an excellent layout (at least for water cooling) with the vertical GPU only, and a 280mm radiator in the top. Hopefully the C4 looks something like that, in the end.
sandwich layout is no longer supported. you should refer to Dan's latest revision

Dropped features:
1.) Sandwich Layout

Reactions: DrHudacris

kkl888

Chassis Packer
Dec 8, 2019
I'm assuming it's because 280 is fully supported
Yea but still curious if there’s any design complexity or cost issue to make it compatible with 240 as well. And plus, I’m guessing 240 is more popular than 280? Making it compatible 240 also reaches more market, I think?

I'm sure someone will find a way for 240s to work.
Yea 3D printing is a way to go 😃