DAN C4-SFX

dss

Efficiency Noob
Feb 8, 2020
For the possible final version I will make the inverted layout to default and remove the flip feature, because there is no use case where the default orientation is better.

Just wanted to chime in to agree. Inverted classic layout does seem like the better layout to me. Foot height is not an issue and also GPU sag is less of a problem. The only issue I anticipate with inverted layout is that my cat will sit on top of the case and block the airflow :)

Wildmongoose

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2018
I don't understand why people think a simple usb-c connector is ruining the cleanness of a case. Personally, having 0 ports on the front will be a huge inconvenience and I am glad the C4 has one.
I can see how it can be convenient to some users, so I think the top panel type C is the best compromise. I know I will probably just remove the port as its just a thick cable to manage in small case and I have no problem just simply rotating the case towards me for a second to plug in the occasional device. I like the ncase idea where they provide the extra plate without the IO slot. Dan could just make the cable + IO plate an addon/accessory.
Can I ask what type-c to type-c cable or type-c device do you plug in on a daily basis? I am just curious what all the hype is for PC's having type-c ports.

Reactions: Detonator

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
I can see how it can be convenient to some users, so I think the top panel type C is the best compromise. I know I will probably just remove the port as its just a thick cable to manage in small case and I have no problem just simply rotating the case towards me for a second to plug in the occasional device. I like the ncase idea where they provide the extra plate without the IO slot. Dan could just make the cable + IO plate an addon/accessory.
Can I ask what type-c to type-c cable or type-c device do you plug in on a daily basis? I am just curious what all the hype is for PC's having type-c ports.
Phone, portable SSD, bunch of flashcards.
These answers and also you have to think about future proofing. Currently, USB type-C looks to be the future at least right now, so even if I don't have a ton of devices to use with c to c, I can imagine that in 2-5 years there will be many more. Also, I don't see how that can happen in the case of the C4, as unlike the M1, you have one solid piece as the front panel of the case.

Wildmongoose

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2018
Phone, portable SSD, bunch of flashcards.
This is my last post about this, because this case is not about debating the practicality of front usb type-c. But I will just say 95%+ of people charge their phone type-a to type-c via wall adapter or PC, and you could just leave a cable plugged into the back of your pc and route it to the front. External ssd's their is also the option to just leave a cable plugged in and routed. Front type-c seems the most useful for flashdrives but 95%+ of people just store data of those small quantities in the cloud nowadays or just use type-a because its guaranteed to work any device they may use. But still its a light weight tiny case users can just tilt the case towards them with one hand and plug in with the other. Anyway I am off my soap box on why front IO should be an optional extra.

Dan I really like the look of the 6/28 version but maybe consider going with DC for dancase on the front instead of 'Dan' if any branding. Just make sure it doesn't look like the logo for the comics.

Wildmongoose

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2018
These answers and also you have to think about future proofing. Currently, USB type-C looks to be the future at least right now, so even if I don't have a ton of devices to use with c to c, I can imagine that in 2-5 years there will be many more. Also, I don't see how that can happen in the case of the C4, as unlike the M1, you have one solid piece as the front panel of the case.
Thats why you have the IO on the top of the case where its practical to be swapped. And if all these new devices are coming in 2-4 years which they're probably not. You will probably want more than just 1 port, where again having a small swappable plate cutout makes more sense in a future proofing sense where a future IO with 2-3 port could be swapped in. You also have to take into account the fact mobo manufactures will adapt what ports they will put on he board and 5 years from now cloud computing will probably be waaayyy more practical reducing the need for external storage further. But yeah only 5% of people who buy this case will actually use the front IO enough for it to be worth it so yeah optional extra is defiantly the way to go. Last post from me on the subject I swear!

dapperlilsailor

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2018
Semi-silent reader here. I chimed in on occasion on the last thread. Been following this chassis for a few years now. I decided a long time ago that this case is my next build and I have no problem waiting. I actually appreciate Dan's perfectionism and patience with his development process. I want a case that I will treasure for a long time without regrets or needing to constantly be on the lookout for something better.
The things I want from this case are SFF (obviously), a minimalist aesthetic, exceptional build quality, and the ability to run high-end hardware with few compromises. With an optimal layout for GPU air cooling, and compatibility for a custom liquid-cooled CPU I think a pretty amazing balance is being struck between A LOT of different intents. So what if it's not the absolute tiniest case out there?
If anyone wants something built exactly to their specifications I'm sure there many ways to get something commissioned. At the very least they can go be negative elsewhere.
I'm gonna go smash that like button.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
The things I want from this case are SFF (obviously), a minimalist aesthetic, exceptional build quality,

sorry to burst your bubble, but with thin pop-in panels that C4 has based on pics, it looks awfully similar to Ncase's cheap thin pop-in panels. You're not gonna get exceptional build quality from that. It may be just passable, but nothing exceptional.

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
sorry to burst your bubble, but with thin pop-in panels that C4 has based on pics, it looks awfully similar to Ncase's cheap thin pop-in panels. You're not gonna get exceptional build quality from that. It may be just passable, but nothing exceptional.
Both the C4 and M1 are manufactured by Lian Li, but Dan C4 has thicker panels. The Ghost S1 has thicker panels, but the anodizing process is very bad and uneven across different panels, whereas Lian Li has theirs sport and have good quality control. Exceptional build quality is not always about the thickness or the nature of the materials, but about the execution and quality control. Also, a desktop PC should be placed on a desk, not thrown around, so having panels, which are too thick is a drawback then as it only adds reduction to the internals or an increase in the overall dimensions of the case.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015

Seems a bit harsh for a case thet isn't in production yet and hasn't been externally tested or reviewed yet
/2c

I have no problems with my "Ncase's cheap thin pop-in panels" and that is based on me being its 3rd owner.

It is a bit scruffy in places, but not bent or distorted, until lockdown, was taken to weekly LAN nights in its unique carry sling with no ill effect.

I haven't had the pleasure of examining a Dan Case A4, and if the the C4 is as good as the M1 or better, I have zero concerns for its durability.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Both the C4 and M1 are manufactured by Lian Li, but Dan C4 has thicker panels. The Ghost S1 has thicker panels, but the anodizing process is very bad and uneven across different panels, whereas Lian Li has theirs sport and have good quality control. Exceptional build quality is not always about the thickness or the nature of the materials, but about the execution and quality control. Also, a desktop PC should be placed on a desk, not thrown around, so having panels, which are too thick is a drawback then as it only adds reduction to the internals or an increase in the overall dimensions of the case.

You are right, exceptional build quality isn't always about thickness of panels but it certainly helps. Ghost S1 has sandblasted anodized brushed panels. They are wayyyyyy better than M1's cheap feeling thin aluminum panels. They feel flimsy and easily bendable. And the fact that in the M1 build the panels feel like "an after-thought" to the build by just popping-in an already existing build inside a black frame chassis vs. something like Ghost's panels and exterior frame feels more like the actual build itself. And I'm saying this as an ex-N case user and current Ghost user.

This is no-knock against M1, since it does everything performance and cooling-wise way better. But in terms of pure build quality, it's tiers different.

Sijnk

Chassis Packer
Apr 2, 2019
@Dan:
- first of all: I also awaiting the C4!

I am totally with you to make the flipped version standard (push or pull air from the bottom is mostly not efficant), but i also understand the critics about dust.
I think, the overall best solution is to have the radiator on top, blowing hot air out of the case. So, no problem with dust and in the most cases, the best fan config for cooling. Therefore, i suggest to drop this stupid lian-li clips, invent a other mechanism to hold the sidepanels (thinking about 1min. i can imagine 3 different solutions) and go with a 280mm option on the top. Positive side effect: you also have a product for the people, who want to show of their hardware, nicely arranged in an one sided sandwhich, through a tempered glas sidepanel!

just my 2 cents.

Reactions: muSashi

jonomatic

Efficiency Noob
Mar 24, 2020
@dondan Hi Dan. I'm really looking forward to the C4. I am a huge fan of classic layout SFF cases because I like to see all the components at once. My dream case would be an M1 that has slightly less depth but is taller and can fit a 240mm or even just a 120mm radiator in the roof. The renders in your first post of the C4 with a tempered glass side panel look absolutely amazing. That render but with 120mm AIO mounted in the roof would be PERFECT.

TechInTheMaking

Case Bender
New User
Jul 5, 2020
Just made an account to respond here so Dan knows there is another potential customer and to agree with @jonomatic ..All i want for a case is normal midi layout without raiser (option for vertical mount is a huge plus although), 240mm radiator support (not on the side like seen at the Ncase M1), and support of GPU height of 50-55mm and GPU length of 300mm. I saw some 2017 renders of this project with vertically mounted GPU that were really appealing to me but if there plan has shifted towards 240mm radiator on the side, i am not interested.
Although i think theres a big opportunity, because the only cases that fulfill those specs are either hard to get (taobao: sunmilo t03, Cemo A4, K99) or larger than what i think is possible (given the taobao cases) or have a pricetag thats slightly too high for me, yet high enough to not make me consider buying (Ncase M1 as well).

The only case that could serve this niche might be the highly anticipated Cooler Master NR200, although it will also be a bit larger than what i would call a dream case of mine.

If there was a case that has the above stated specs with a price tag of up to 150 euros, count me in..

Beside of that i just wanted to say youre doing an awesome job here and on reddit, dan!

Grüße aus Baden-Württemberg!

jonomatic

Efficiency Noob
Mar 24, 2020
@TechInTheMaking +1 for a vertical mount GPU option as an added bonus if possible. There is a mainstream case called the Metallicgear Neo G Mini V2 which has a great layout but is a budget case targeting the mainstream and is not as premium or space optimised as something like I imagine the C4 could be.

Reactions: muSashi

SaMandria

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
@dondan i really like the case and it will probally house my next Computer i like the Sandwich layout better from an visual point of view but i also want to look into watercooling and the potetioal 280 support would be huge even tho the side radiator would block the view wich seems to be a problem many people have with the classic layout. i'll be hyped ether way so stay safe :)

TechInTheMaking

Case Bender
New User
Jul 5, 2020
Yes, that one is pretty interesting as well. If only they set the vertical mount a bit higher and reduced the volume by making it less high, and having the 240mm aio in the top this would be a no-brainer for me.. a case with length of about 300-320mm, depth of 170-190mm and height of 250-270mm would be a sweet spot i think.

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
Yes, that one is pretty interesting as well. If only they set the vertical mount a bit higher and reduced the volume by making it less high, and having the 240mm aio in the top this would be a no-brainer for me.. a case with length of about 300-320mm, depth of 170-190mm and height of 250-270mm would be a sweet spot i think.
That is a much bigger case, which is not the goal and is honestly pointless. Dan is planning to give you 280mm rad support in 11.3l volume and instead you want something that is at least 15l. If you want to showcase your components and don't care about space optimization, just go for the Lian Li TU150 or a Sliger SM570. Also, a sideways rad blocking the view is not a big problem for a lot of people, as the fashion of tempered glass panels is now over and the SFF community prefers a minimalist style with strong performance. If you want to show off your components, of course you can use the sandwich layout with the tempered glass panel option, but your GPU will then suffer unless it is watercooled. Sorry if I seem frustrated, but some of the request are things that are already possible (240 on top with sandwich inverted layout), and others require a complete overhaul of dimensions of a product that is already so well optimized and amazing.

Last edited:

jonomatic

Efficiency Noob
Mar 24, 2020
@bushonpen apologies for the frustration. Just trying to show my support for Dan and this project by actively engaging in the conversation as he requested. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think space optimisation is important as well. Mostly I want to let Dan know that he will still have a customer in me even if he can't maximise the potential of every millilitre in the case. Fingers crossed he presses forward or no one will get the case they are after.

On a side note. If anyone can point me towards a case very similar to the M1 but with a window panel and top mounted rad support (even just a 120!) I'm all ears. So far the C4 seems closest to what I'm looking for.

jonomatic

Efficiency Noob
Mar 24, 2020
I don't mean to spam this thread but as a point of reference in case anyone else is interested... The below link is a great example of what I'm trying to communicate. An optional top mount radiator bracket and bottom/front PSU bracket in a case like the C4 would provide additional options without sacrificing others. Everyone wins!