DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

Today I got some more pictures of C4-SFX samples. Also these samples are not final.
There a still parts that are missing and needs to be optimised.

I also got some pictures of the window kits.

Edit more pictures:

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
thank you for the update! a few things looking at these pictures:
  • Visually I don't like the combination of top panel with slot vents and the side panels with vent holes. I would prefer uniformity: vent holes - vent holes like the A4. Agree with your previous comment about slot vent on side panel not looking good at all - it keeps reminding me of the K39 v2 which is not pretty / premium-looking
  • Power button at the top of the front panel is a good location - I've accidentally hit the power button on the A4 a few times whilst moving stuff on my desk haha. Don't really need that front USB-C, just keep the front clean
  • At the back panel, the rectangle vents doesn't match the pill-shape vents of the PCIE slot covers. So maybe pill shape for it too? Either horizontal or diagonally same/opposite the vents on PCI slots cover?
keep up the good work!

Edit: forgot to mention that I don't care about the TG panel at all

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Seeing these samples I have to agree with @dondan ’s planned direction in terms of colour scheme and vent design. The second photo with the silver panels and the black top with hole ventilation looks the most premium and the one I would order.

As much as I liked the slot vents on the CAD renders, they don’t look as good on the sample. They seem a little inconsistent, like some of them are slightly raised in the center.

The all black version doesn‘t look as slick as the silver and black, and I wonder if gray panels with a black top wouldn’t look better.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses before the final production versions.

Naytokai

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 15, 2020
@dondan not a big fan of top panel slot vents.
I agree with @AlexTSG the second photo is the most premium.

The case looks stunning with tempered glass and the inside looks just as what i was expecting.
USB type C on the front is less appealing than the clean front panel with only power button but i don't mind.

So far so good.
I'm waiting to see that final product :)

Reactions: Thattallcarpenter

Falc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 15, 2020
2 questions:

1. It looks like the PSU fan faces the front of the case, does that mean it will get very hot as it isn't expelling the hot air out of the case?

2. Would you consider shrinking the width of the case down to only allow for a CPU cooler of height 116mm? (that width just covers a Noctua C14S CPU cooler)

happa

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2020
2 questions:

1. It looks like the PSU fan faces the front of the case, does that mean it will get very hot as it isn't expelling the hot air out of the case?

2. Would you consider shrinking the width of the case down to only allow for a CPU cooler of height 116mm? (that width just covers a Noctua C14S CPU cooler)

Shrinking the width would also reduce GPU height compatibility, as well as thickness in the sandwich mount orientation.

Hoarst

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2020
Hi,

just registered to say a few things :) - I own 2 Dan A4 (V1 Intel Core I3-9100 & V3 Ryzen 3600) and use one as my daily driver and one as my HTPC.

I'm waiting to get a C4 because so far I like what I see, I wouldn't change the design language of the A4 completely - so I think the second prototype looks the best. But i think i would like the type c at the top of the case as shown in a render before.

Just a question out of curiosity would it be possible to repurpose the Asetek from the A4? I think I would have to buy a 920 to 120 mounting frame, right?
But i think about going full custom loop with the C4.

Keep up the good work and I hope we will only see changes on the color options and a decision on the usb port option - hope we can buy it fast :)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@Falc: For your question 1 "A picture is worth a thousand words". PSU exhaust over the top.

For question 2 @happa has given the answer.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't a lot of 126mm tall air cooler that overhang past the RAM/Mobo edge right? In that case position B can actually accommodate both air cooler and AIO?

In position A, PSU will intake the hot air from the cooler, be it top-down or tower which I don't really like. Much prefer PSU to intake from the side panel and isolate from the rest of the system. Also if using tower style cooler then optimal airflow will be bottom to top and back to front right? Would be great to hear your thoughts @dondan

Reactions: Arboreal

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@thelaughingman

It is important for the Noctua C14S to have PSU position A.

For the airflow I think there are many different good ways to do it. Some will result in better CPU temperatures while other will focus on better GPU temps.
A good balanced configuration would be all fans pushing air outside the case. This is very effective if you use two bottom fans.
For builds focusing on very powerful CPUs a AIO should pull fresh air from the outside. On a complete air cooling build also a mixed configuration could work better.

@Bonusround
This is one of the "disadvantages" of the flipped use case, the PSU will push the air against the ground. Now it depends on your fan configuration. For example, with a 240 AIO pull in, you will not recycle the PSU heat, but on push out. From my experience the heat of the PSU isn't a real problem.

@Hoarst The case will have mount holes for a 92mm fan on the back side of the case there you can mount the AIO. In sandwich mode it should also be possbile to use the slot holes at the bottom for attaching the 92 AIO.

Last edited:

dyjsh.14

Cable Smoosher
Apr 17, 2020
i think it will look better if you fill all the surface on top with vented holes. Use same finish for power button and case for uniformity and clean design.

Reactions: tsmax

tsmax

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Agree on the matching finish on power button and front panel, although I would very much prefer the power button on the top panel if that option is still on the table. EDIT- forgot i have a cat lol. I also think that increasing the amount of holes on the side panels, making the total perforated area larger with thinner flat border around it will look better. For aesthetics and PSU thermals, i think the top panel should be entirely or almost entirely vented. Also prefer the matching hole venting.

Understand it may be difficult, but do you have an idea of the timeline for this case? Like are we out 9, 6, or 3 months out from production? Really loving this case, solves all my problems with the M1 and S1 respectively. Great work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
I really like the "flipped" layout. I definitely don't see PSU heat being an issue, but I can only imagine running the GPU with the fans pointed right out of the top must be amazing for GPU temps.

Kyndylan

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2019
I'm new to the SFFPC world, so I'm hoping someone with more experience can answer what I think is a straightforward question.

What does this case give up compared to the M1, which is about 2L bigger? It seems to support similar cooling and components, so what's the downside?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
What does this case give up compared to the M1, which is about 2L bigger? It seems to support similar cooling and components, so what's the downside?

This case and the M1 do have very similar layouts. The extra space in the M1 allows for slightly taller CPU coolers, and slightly longer graphics cards.

When it comes to choosing between them, it's going to come down to which one you prefer the look of, and whether those few extra millimeters here and there in the M1 allow you to use a component that wouldn't fit into the C4.

Kyndylan

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2019
When it comes to choosing between them, it's going to come down to which one you prefer the look of, and whether those few extra millimeters here and there in the M1 allow you to use a component that wouldn't fit into the C4.

Yeah, that's kind of what I expected. To be honest it's most likely to come down to availability for me - I'm tentatively planning a build towards the end of this year, so I'll just have to wait and see how things are at the time.