DAN C4-SFX

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Q3-Q4 2021 availability and I've got a Crosshair VIII Impact incoming in the next 2 weeks. don't feel like spending so much for an M1 just to tie me over until I can get the C4 🙄

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Q3-Q4 2021 availability and I've got a Crosshair VIII Impact incoming in the next 2 weeks. don't feel like spending so much for an M1 just to tie me over until I can get the C4 🙄

Same here - guess it depends on how long it takes to get the parts but I'm not sure I can wait until Q3/Q4 2021 for my new build.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

HappyWhale

Case Bender
New User
Feb 1, 2019
i for one thought this project will never see the light of day and therefore jumped to the da2 recently - same outcome just chonkier (even in terms of price - paid 180€). if sometime in ~2years the c4 will be a real product i might consider it and the if is a big one cause of potential future alternatives in this form factor

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I would not wait. Just buy the case you like now. There is always the option to sell the case on ebay and switch to the C4-SFX :)

Are you looking at maybe doing something in white, like the E-White T1? Or will it only be Silver/Black?

NR200 it is then, not very travel friendly but unbeatable p/p 😕 and the wait for C4 continues...

I may end up doing this myself - slowly build in the NR200P as parts become available and price regulates, then finally move everything into the C4.

Hmmmm....

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@Necere
You are right it is for a PSU mount and this will offer a epyc unique use-case.

And its made for LTT because he is one of the few out there that can give it a try.

I have not read all 57 pages of this thread, but I am liking the chassis...

( ...I did read all of the updates linked on the first page, and then I read EVERYTHING after the Update #12 - Thermal Testing... )

@dondan
Questions about actual mDTX compatability...

The only mDTX board I know of right now is the ASUS X570 / AM4 Crosshair VIII Impact mDTX mobo...

It is a great mobo, but there is the SO-DIMM.2 riser board on it, for a pair of 2280 M.2 SSDs, this board sticks up a fair bit, positioned right above the backplate of the GPU (in Classic Mode)...

Is this going to be an obstruction / interference issue with an AIO (240 or 280) mounted on the side bracket...?

Same question for Sandwich Mode, is the vertically mounted GPU going to cause an obstruction / interference...?

@dondan
Question towards thermals...

From the provided chart, it seems Classic Mode, with a deshrouded / defanned GPU in exhaust & a 240 or 280 AIO in exhaust, is the configuration that showed the best temps...?

( ...negative pressure with air intake via bottom venting & rear panel venting...? )

When the chassis is inverted, is there room for a pair of slim Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fans on the bottom to assist intake...?

@dondan
In regards to the LinusHole...

You HAVE to get Linus to enter this chassis (with Epyc Fat ITX mobo & the highest-of-ends GPU) in the PPL (Performance Per Liter) thread (most current is Number Four, found here)...!

An Epyc CPU & ultra high-end GPU in 12.77L would crush the competition...!

( ...until Fabio rises to the challenge with an Epyc build & dual GPUs...? )

If you want to see how the A4-SFX is representing for you in the previous three rounds...!

Round One - not collated in leader boards, I did not survey / tabulate the thread for results
Round Two - no entries with the A4-SFX...?
Round Three - Four entries with the A4-SFX

Over on the PPL thread(s) it has been established that the PCIe brackets tabs that stick out the back do NOT need to be included in the bounding box dimensions of the chassis...

( ...this same allowance to PPL bounding box measurements is what allows the Cooler Master NP200 to actually BE a SFF chassis at about 19.6L...! )

BUT the feet DO need to be included if they are there to lift the chassis & allow airflow in/out of bottom venting/perforations...!

@dondan
So the PPL bounding box dimensions for the C4-SFX would be (H x W x D) 257 x 151 x 329mm, 12.77L...!

Getting him to run those tests & post to the thread in his eventual video would be extra cool exposure for the C4-SFX chassis, SFF.N & the PPL competition(s)...!!!

I have the C8I mobo with a 3900X, 32GB 3600/16 RAM (Samsung B-die), & two 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4 SSDs...

I will be getting a 6800 XT, probably the Sapphire Nitro+ once the prices come back to reality... This card would be perfect for deshrouding / defanning & using in the Classic Mode inverted (now standard?) C4-SFX chassis...!

Power is a SF750 with five sets of cables to choose from...! ;^p

Thanks @dondan ...!!!

EDIT TO ADD:

The Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT has a measurement of 134.3mm, but deshrouding / defanning it should take some off of that measurement, as well as removing the RGB light bar along the top edge of the PCB/backplate...?

The two 8-pin power connectors on the GPU are well recessed on the PCB though...!

Last edited:

JasonSFF

Case Bender
New User
Oct 22, 2018
I don't have time to follow these things closely. I know Dan said he wanted us to Like the thread, so I did so on the first page. I appreciate all the efforts and am very much looking forward to this case. I know lots of people mention it in passing on other communities so I think there is more interest than you think. I will just get on with a NR200 until this one hopefully comes out.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I feel like the NR200 will be a very popular holdover case for a lot of people who are waiting for the C4 and other cases due to debut in 2021. The price of it makes it a lot easier to swallow that pill.
Especially for beginners. They will get some experience before building in the C4 and get a taste of SFF. The NR200 is very roomy and spacious and it also has the same layout, so the building process in the C4 should be similar to that in the NR200.

promaty

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
@dondan Would be great if you could have more holes on the back for something similar like the Iceman Pump / Res combo for Ncase M1. This is by far the easiest way to do a custom loop, super easy to fill/drain. Maybe we can support the same model even? Otherwise we could ask Iceman to sell something similar for C4, I expect it will be popular.

CZero

Chassis Packer
Dec 18, 2018
I always find it hard to imagine how this thing could be quiet without any kind of decoupling :/ (Even if i like the idear)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Next year will be Epyc:

64C/128T Epyc, AsRock ROMED4ID-2T & RTX 3080 in 12L

Last edited:

Jeydub

Cable Smoosher
Oct 28, 2018
It may have been asked and answered by now but will the most recent revision allow for a single 280mm radiator to cool both the CPU and GPU in sandwich mode? Mainly asking if there will be enough clearance for a CPU waterblock and fittings behind the GPU

Jeydub

Cable Smoosher
Oct 28, 2018
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Looking to do something like OptimumTech's build in the FormD T1 but with a bigger radiator in the C4

Cookie

Case Bender
New User
Dec 1, 2020
I've finished my Ghost S1 build with dual 240mm radiators this weekend and I am really looking forward for this case. As much as I love the ghost, the tophats and offcoloration is a bummer. I was thinking about building in an Ncase M1 Next but this one is absolutely gorgeous! Well done DAN I can't wait to order this beauty :)

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@dondan

Question about mDTX compatability...

The only mDTX board I know of right now is the ASUS X570 / AM4 Crosshair VIII Impact mDTX mobo...

It is a great mobo, but there is the SO-DIMM.2 riser board on it, for a pair of 2280 M.2 SSDs, this board sticks up a fair bit, positioned right above the backplate of the GPU (in Classic Mode)...

Is this going to be an obstruction / interference issue with an AIO (240 or 280) mounted on the side bracket...?

EDIT: Okay, after staring at the pic below, I can see that the SO-DIMM.2 riser card should not be an issue with a side-mounted AIO in the Classic Mode (inverted or regular)...!

One question down...! ;^p

Question towards thermals...

From the provided chart, it seems Classic Mode, with a deshrouded / defanned GPU in exhaust & a 240 or 280 AIO in exhaust, is the configuration that showed the best temps...?

( ...negative pressure with air intake via bottom venting & rear panel venting...? )

When the chassis is inverted, is there room for a pair of slim Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fans on the bottom to assist intake...?

Or, would adding a slight amount of volume (but still keeping the chassis somewhere between 13.5L & 14L) for a pair of 25mm thick fans that could be bottom intake (inverted chassis) or top exhaust (standard chassis) be something that might be considered...?

This would make the C4-SFX very similar in layout to the Cooler Master NR200, but with the ability to invert the chassis as needed & definitely more volume-optimized...! Like, 6L less volume...!

This is configuration I am most interested in, and having a pair of 120x25mm intake fans on the bottom seems like it would be optimal; plenty of fresh air in thru the bottom fans & out thru the side-mounted AIO fans & the top-mounted GPU fans...!

In regards to the PSU mount...

When the chassis is inverted, will the PSU mount be able to also invert, so the PSU is exhausting up...?

In regards to the LinusHole...

You HAVE to get Linus to enter this chassis (with Epyc Fat ITX mobo & the highest-of-ends GPU) in the PPL (Performance Per Liter) thread (most current is Number Four, found here)...!

An Epyc CPU & ultra high-end GPU in 12.77L would crush the competition...!

Last edited: