DAN A4-SFX v4.1

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Zip ties. I can try to post a pic later
Thanks! And, are they effective? How much? For now I have a 92mm under the MB and the frame is getting less hot than before under load. Exhausting should help a lot!

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Fabio,
I tried to put a 92mm under the mobo. I have a 9900k and a asus z390-I Strix as well. I couldn't get it to the fit cause the hook mechanism of the mobo power supply cable kept hitting the fan. How did you make it work? Did you cut off the hook?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Fabio,
I tried to put a 92mm under the mobo. I have a 9900k and a asus z390-I Strix as well. I couldn't get it to the fit cause the hook mechanism of the mobo power supply cable kept hitting the fan. How did you make it work? Did you cut off the hook?
Indeed! I've just pushed the fan a bit more on the right. Now the hook is "inside" the fan, but without interfering with it!

DatFrenchGuy

Case Bender
Aug 16, 2017
Would be someone interested in a A4-XL that has an increased width from 114 to 130 so you can install air coolers up to 66mm like the Noctua L12? I am also interested in using uni body desgin (no inner frame) for this version to bring the costs down. This design has also the future potential to use die stamping to reduce the costs a lot. I don't know if a case like this could co exists with the current A4.

The size would be 130x312x200 (WxLxH) = 8.1L

Hey Dan, after a little discussion with a friend who bought two Ghost S1 over your A4 specifically to be able to mount NH-L12 inside them, I think your A4-XL concept could go a long way and convince many potential Ghosts buyers to chose your product instead.

Personally, I'd buy this case in a heartbeat if it were to support the L12S. We undoubtedly need more testing with the upcoming revision of the Black Ridge, but a L12S with 120mm fan shoud still perform better (temps and acoustics) than a BR with 92mm fan I think (VLP ram is still hard to come by, at least where I live).

The L12S would be perfect for a quiet build at idle and give us a nice headroom to OC, even more so with the upcoming AMD 7nm chips (and Intel 10nm?).

Just my 2 cents of course, take what you want, but be sure that your A4-XL would be my perfect excuse to switch from my custom-watercooled M1 to your product !

PS : My friend mentioned that the AM4 motherboards' socket is a bit higher than Intel's. That would be taken into account in the design of that new product right ?

Reactions: Talyrius and fabio

vpri

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2018
I've been running an i9-9900K with Strix Z390-I, cooled with a Noctua L9i. Thermals aren't super ideal, even when power is limited to 95W. I've been thinking about going for a bigger case (like the Ncase M1), but to be honest no cases out there match the quality of the A4. The ghost S1 is a possible alternative, although they have far too many quality issues at the moment and very poor customer service, therefore I'm staying away for now.

@dondan The idea of A4-XL would be awesome, although I'm not sure how that would compete with the C4 to be honest. If you're going for a unibody version that could be used for both, do you think would be possible to merge the two ideas into a bigger case that could serve AAA hardware and lower end too?

What is the timeline for a possible XL version or the C4 at the moment? If strategically, you could position one of the cases that could compete with the Ghost S1 for January, I think that would probably persuade people towards the Dan brand and away from the Ghost.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Thanks! And, are they effective? How much? For now I have a 92mm under the MB and the frame is getting less hot than before under load. Exhausting should help a lot!
Here are pictures showing the three 40mm fans in the SFX-A4 v2. The two on top are wedges in there by the PCIe extension ribbon cable and VHB tape. The bottom is secured using zip-ties. They work to help prevent internal recirculating of hot air after the case is heat soaked.

Reactions: fabio

Admiral

Cable Smoosher
Dec 3, 2018
Personally, I'd buy this case in a heartbeat if it were to support the L12S. We undoubtedly need more testing with the upcoming revision of the Black Ridge, but a L12S with 120mm fan shoud still perform better (temps and acoustics) than a BR with 92mm fan I think (VLP ram is still hard to come by, at least where I live).

I, too, would love to be able to mount a Noctua NH-L12S in a case like the DAN A4 so I would be hotly interested in an XL version of the A4. I just finished my first build and love the case. My only issues are the limited height for CPU cooler and the difficulty adding much storage. If we're considering retooling for a little more interior room, just a few millimeters here and there, I'd like to be able to mount a 15mm HDD, or two 7mm SSDs, in the front of the case. The space below the power supply at the front of the case appears to be able to accommodate up to three 15mm HDDs as well (with some difficulty, but doable). A bracket to mount two or three (two in the bracket, one attached on top of the bracket) 15mm HDDs below the power supply would be attractive. 2.5" HDDs generate very little heat.

Last edited:

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017
I solved the thermal throttling of the NVMe Samsung 970 Pro in my A4-SFX v2 with Asetek 545LC-cooled 8700K with an M2 standoff in 1 of the screws of the Z370's heatsink and attached a Noctua 40x20mm fan...

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I solved the thermal throttling of the NVMe Samsung 970 Pro in my A4-SFX v2 with Asetek 545LC-cooled 8700K with an M2 standoff in 1 of the screws of the Z370's heatsink and attached a Noctua 40x20mm fan...

Amazing! Which size is the standoff?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Possibly. Some people online says it should work, while other says no. I may have made a bad purchase.
I've bought the Innodisk, but I have to wait 2 weeks at least to test them.

BTW, the new PCIe riser for the DAN is actually available at SFF labs! More airflow is coming!!

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

• New riser with 185mm short cable (like this https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt) will drop retail price $10-$25
  • Adding 92mm fan mountpoint + ventholes under the motherboard
  • Lifting the PSU 5mm up to have more space for 92mm AIO
  • removing 120mm AIO bracket from included to optional (orderable over SFFLabs parts section)
  • USB 3.1 gen2 Typ-C at the front
  • adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
  • making the PWSW cable longer for better access on cheap MSI AM4 boards
  • changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

@dondan do you have a rough time frame for release of the V4? Will it be on kick starter?