Log DAN A4-SFX custom loop question

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
First builder (people always seem to highlight that for some reason) already tackling hard mode here. Read quite much on the topic since it is truly fascinating, while still consider myself a layman, especially since I have no actual building experience.

So I've been thinking about this idea of doing a custom loop with soft black tubes in this case as it seems that I'm gonna be having my hands on a Dan A4 in the near future. However I soon came to realize that if I really want to make a well optimized solution and not just go with a H60 for example (which would be probably fine), the parts are hard to come by and my options are very limited. We'll see about the tubing and fittings, but what I know is that I'm planning on using Alphacool's Eisbaer LT (solo) for the pump. It's seemingly the same as the Kelvin from Fractal Design and kinda the only that I found suitable and not shoddy in quality. Also seen fabio using it in a build displayed on this page, his feedback from personal experience would be welcome.

As for the radiator setup, there are 2 options and this is where I kindly ask the help of the good people frequenting this forum.
I can either go with a 30mm rad paired with a 12mm fan setup using the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper V.2 a very promising thick full copper component that would leave me with an extremely thin 12mm fan that's the Scythe Slip Stream. Supposedly best rad with the weakest fan that's perhaps more suitable for improving airflow in cases rather than be paired with a radiator, but it could work.

Or focus on the fans being better by getting the reliable and silent Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM (chromax) and combine it with either the Magicool G2 Slim Radiator 16 FPI (27mm), or try the XSPC TX120 Ultrathin Radiator (only 20mm!) and still have 7mm of clearance. These radiators are supposed to be from copper and brass as well.

As a heads up, please kindly save the replies mentioning that 120mm aio's have no point suggesting me to either cram a 92mm asetek under the psu or go air cooling instead:) I would really like to execute this build with the 120mm liquid cooling setup allowing me to utilize cpu's with better performance while sill use a decent itx gpu (as even my games are not that gpu heavy). I also think that this is the most efficent use of space inside this particular case.
Thanks in advance,

Richard

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey! I personally will go with the the Magicool and the Noctua Fan. But you should tell us which CPU are you going to cool!
Because maybe even the new Alphacool ST25 92mm is enough! ;)

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
I realized that I made some phrasing mistakes on my post above (do not see any option to edit what I wrote once it gets posted). So my intention is to make a custom aio (not a loop) with hosing that fits the Dan A4 better than what I can get off the shelves (block not emitting any kind of light is also a huge plus).
The fact that you inquire more info probably means that you intend to provide the proper information, which is highly appreciated:) My case is while paid in advance, it is still yet to arrive in september, so after grabbing the gpu (a small 2060 itx one for it's versatility and low power usage) I don't plan on purchasing further parts for now while planning out my build and theorycrafting in the meantime.
Cpu I had in mind is a Ryzen 7 3700x (unless a more suitable, easier to cool, low tdp 4th gen arrives in the meantime). As much as I'm terrified of having bad temps at the end, I would probably be okay with a 92mm aio too or even an l9a, but I would like to avoid the route involving an aio below the psu - saw quite a few builds with it and none of them seemed right to me. It all felt way too forced. Now, I already have an itx gpu and I'm mainly interested in two things. Already submitted these within the main Dan A4 thread, so sorry for the double posting (still can't find a way to edit or delete posts). If the 120mm aio is overkill, then at least I'll still be left with the headroom to OC or the option to decide on a more powerful processor when the time comes. So the questions are as follows:

- Would using a 20mm thin radiator together with a 15mm thin noctua fan in a custom 120mm aio be better than one with a rad of 27mm thickness? Would that 8mm clearance prove beneficial in regards of airflow or any other way?

- Upon ending up with an L9a with the printed fan duct (while in eco mode / turbo off / undervolting or whatever is necesary) could a single 15 or 25mm thin 120mm nocuta fan improve anything at all within the case, if mounted on the gpu side?

Thanks and have a prosperous week ahead!

TheGibbon

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 2, 2020
I had an idea about building with this Case. Was trying to see if i could fit in a custom water loop, both CPU and GPU....like you, using an Eisbaer LT for the pump, a 92mm rad on the bottom using the Alphacool ST25 92mm with a Noctua A9X14 fan....From what i can see the 120mm Bracket, you can slide the rad/fan up and down, so slide it to the top, that should hopefully be enough clearance for the 92mm n fan on the bottom....then add a 120mm XSPC TX120 with again 120mm 15cm fan....I know there are some ITX blocks, for like 2060s, 2070s. It might work perhaps?

Reactions: thelaughingman

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
Based on your idea, maybe there could've been an option to fit a 92mm below the psu and find a way to mount another 92mm on the side somehow above it. Sounds interesting.
However here, I intend to leave the gpu alone, I will only plan on watercooling the cpu. Wonder if we could still fit a 4cm fan below the psu between the tubes. I mean the thinner radiator will still leave 7-8mm gap paired with an NF-A12-15, question is if that small fan would make any difference in airflow compared to not having them.