Dan A4, Hdplex, 1070 Re

cj360

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
So my Dan case arrived and I decided I would copy one of the pictures from the case thread with an hdplex, 120 aio, and full size gpu.

Here's my current parts list, 90% of the parts were already bought for a node 202 which are now in the Dan A4:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial - M500 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Corsair - Force LE 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
Other: Dancase A4 ($225.00)
Other: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX (Purchased For $95.00)
Other: 330W 19.5V 16.9A External psu/brick (Purchased For $79.99)
Total: $449.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 13:18 EDT-0400

Initial test fit. While its nearly impossible to see here the hoses block the bottom sata connector. If I had gotten a large enough m.2 I probably could have ignored this and left the aio here but I didn't.

My 1070ti is snug with the hdplex also found I could just fit one ssd under the aio, and place the other in/on the front opposite the hdplex. Not sure why I thought I would screw on the pump first, ended up taking it off and placing the radiator then the pump.

Asked my little brother for help, needed a second set of hands to close the case. The tubes and power cables are TIGHT behind the radiator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mako and loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Really digging this. Great job. Too bad you couldn’t shorten those aio tubes a bit lol.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I got everything together without removing the top panel of the inner body.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
Could just be user error then, this is the second time I've built in an sff case. The first being a Node 202 and the Node is not designed as well as the A4 is. A4 is also much nicer to build in.

Edit the other day I checked out hdplex website again and noticed what I think are the inductors? On my unit are vertical while the ones on the website are horizontal. Answers my question of why it seems to sit touching the gpu, because the way two components on my hdplex are positioned.

Last edited:

cj360

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
If it can fit under the gpu, maybe? Waiting on parts for Distro 400 to come in than I'll have an update.

With the hdplex I was going over the power limit and it was shutting off playing games since I was capped at 330 from the dell brick. With a limit of 400w I should be able to use my 120 aio again.

Flytrapp

Efficiency Noob
Mar 7, 2019
I've got the A4 V2, and after measuring I don't believe that I can fit the 400W ac-dc supply underneath the gfx card. with a pure cable riser instead of the pcb type that is in this case maybe it could fit without moding the case. I think my solution would be to move the GTX1070 strix card all the way to the top and relocate the riser mounting aswell.
Sadly as you can see the 1070 strix removes the possibility to have the 400W dc-dc brick like yours

But it looks like your 1070 ti FE is so much smaller that you could fit the AC-DC brick on top?

And the clearance for the AIO, it looks like you have just a few mm between the fan and the back of the 1070? Won't it overheat like a toaster due to low airflow?

cj360

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
I believe I had the fan facing so it was blowing on the gpu? Thinking the moving air, even if it was warmer from the cpu could cool the gpu a little? I didn't do as much testing as I could have as I was passing the power limit on the dell brick. Or at least fairly certain I was.

Flytrapp

Efficiency Noob
Mar 7, 2019
Any luck with the AC-DC brick?
Replaced my Asus 1070 strix with a Zotac 1070ti mini, helped a lot with space. And now I keep playing with the idea of a custom water loop.
With the same placement that you have.
But all the PSU calculators I find online tells me that I need a 450W+ PSU. So I guess that I am chickening out.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
Pcpartpicker tells me I sit at 294w so my corsair 450 has a lot of headroom. With the meanwell 400 TF (top fan) I will still have a lot of headroom depending on what the pull increases to with my cpu and or gpu maxing out.

Rip comrade

I thought I would try to use @Thehack 's distro 400 & meanwell 400 TF (top fan). As my build was seemingly just going past 300w the dell brick & hdplex were shutting down in the middle of games. So now I should be golden and will make another post with some temperature results in the next couple days.

Yea I'm only using one piece of the two pieces of double sided tape that I put down, but I also should have asked for a longer sync cable & one2 extension. But I don't need them if I place the distro 400 under the gpu.

Also I don't think I should recommend others to try this as the one2 JUST clears the radiator & fan. I had to take off the black plastic cover and bend the metal piece that's crimped to the wire. Should be okay as long as I remember any future attempts to bend it again will likely break it.

Looking through the meanwell's data sheet I don't see details on the fan they include with the TF model. Would like to get a quieter one but since they say you need 25cfm for the 400w noctua's 60mm might not be enough...

Last edited:

cj360

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
:thumb:
You had the 400W Hdplex dc-dc but switched it for the One2 distro 400?

Yup, definily seems like the dell brick was being pushed past its limit where as the meanwell unit is fine since the fan is always on (and seems to default to 100%?).

If you need new clips plz contact rma@dan-cases.com

Btw cool build and smart solution with the fan filter to reduce air turbulences.

To be honest I totally forgot about turbulence from being so close to the panel. My initial thought was just to try and keep some dust out/off of the radiator if I could. Glad I get a two for one with the filter though!