Dan A4 CPU Upgrade Option

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Have being using Ryzen 3700x for 4 years and considering to upgrade to match a newly bought 4070.

My 3700x has been overheating for a while (cooled with L9a): If I run overwatch2 at full rendering scale at 240fps, temp can go up to 100 degrees...

A quick search on "best CPU for Dan A4" on google tells me 7600 or i5-12400F could be good alternatives.

Would like to know if there are other air cooled options out there or I should wait for new cpu releases?

Thanks!

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
According to THIS user, the 12-13400's are better choices compared to prev. gen Ryzen, so it's definitely like that for the new 7000 series - them operating in even higher temps. Even Dan himself chimes in and confirms it. If it's 1x400 or below, then Intel is definitely the way to go now.

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
A 7800X3D is manageable with a L9a and surely the top of the line option - you do not seem to know alot about undervolting and stuff - you should really have a look.
Duct on top of the cooler is there?

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
A 7800X3D is manageable with a L9a and surely the top of the line option - you do not seem to know alot about undervolting and stuff - you should really have a look.
7800X3D is definitely the best gaming CPU and is crazy efficient under load, but even still you can't avoid thermal throttling under the NH-L9 without undervolting.
I'd say if OP is comfortable setting up a PBO negative offset then the 7800X3D is definitely the choice to make if budget allows. If not, the 12400/13400 have no issues being cooled by an NH-L9 in stock configuration.

Reactions: rfarmer

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
According to THIS user, the 12-13400's are better choices compared to prev. gen Ryzen, so it's definitely like that for the new 7000 series - them operating in even higher temps. Even Dan himself chimes in and confirms it. If it's 1x400 or below, then Intel is definitely the way to go now.
Thanks for the reference, really helpful!

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
7800X3D is definitely the best gaming CPU and is crazy efficient under load, but even still you can't avoid thermal throttling under the NH-L9 without undervolting.
I'd say if OP is comfortable setting up a PBO negative offset then the 7800X3D is definitely the choice to make if budget allows. If not, the 12400/13400 have no issues being cooled by an NH-L9 in stock configuration.
Thanks! Will look into PBO offset

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
No duct yet, considering of buying one, does it really help?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
No duct yet, considering of buying one, does it really help?
Can also look into the Alpenfoln Panorama 2. It's a new cooler and curerntly among the top within 47mm clearance while also happen to be black in color. Using it with a slim chromax noctua fan is recommended. Especially since AM5 and LGA1700, the L9 coolers mounting became terrible at best and dangerous at worst due to allowing you to unevenly screw and easily bend the mobo as the legs don't even touch the pcb. And they even took away the backplate.

Reactions: Atlas

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Can also look into the Alpenfoln Panorama 2. It's a new cooler and curerntly among the top within 47mm clearance while also happen to be black in color. Using it with a slim chromax noctua fan is recommended. Especially since AM5 and LGA1700, the L9 coolers mounting became terrible at best and dangerous at worst due to allowing you to unevenly screw and easily bend the mobo as the legs don't even touch the pcb. And they even took away the backplate.
oh wow! I didn't know Alpenfoln released another fan on top of black ridge. Is it better than black ridge?

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Quick check, was your 3700X overheating previously?

Maybe a fresh application of thermal paste might be helpful.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
I am in exactly the same situation. I struggle with the choice I must do.

Either I stay in AM4 platform, I upgrade the CPU and the DDR. The problem is that I'm investing in an outdated platform. Or I switch to the AM5, and then it's not at all the same budget!

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
I
I am in exactly the same situation. I struggle with the choice I must do.

Either I stay in AM4 platform, I upgrade the CPU and the DDR. The problem is that I'm investing in an outdated platform. Or I switch to the AM5, and then it's not at all the same budget!
The next gen cpus will probably come out in Jan, so it might be wise to just wait for a bit and see