Fanless graphics card in Dan case

Charles007

Case Bender
Original poster
May 1, 2018
Hi there, first post on this forum and first PC build, so please be gentle. Apologies if this is the wrong subforum.

I've just received a Dan case and want to build a super quiet pc. i5 8400, noctua fan, Corsair 450 SFX power. I'm undecided on GPU though. I had wanted to use a Ryzen Raven Ridge combined CPU/GPU and no graphics card, but abandoned that on discovering that motherboards cause BIOS problems. So switched to intel i5 plan.

TL;DR
Will a fanless GT 1030 work in the case? Dan's spec says dual slot cards, but the GT 1030 is single slot. Does that matter? And being fanless with no case fan, will it overheated?

I don't need a powerful GPU as I'm not really a gamer. 3d modelling in SketchUp and a small amount of rendering will be main use. The upgrade path to more powerful graphics will be there if I decide on that in the future.

Apologies for long winded post.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Fanless cards usually are low power as you said, but the heatsinks will need some airflow over them, or you may have an overheated card.
I don't know what space you have, but even a slow running (to be quiet) large slim fan would be a benefit to a passively cooled GPU.

Charles007

Case Bender
Original poster
May 1, 2018
In that case I might be better off using a conventional card with inbuilt fan. The only fans currently in my build are the PSU fan and the noctua fan on the CPU, so I don't think the GPU side of the case will have much airflow.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Also keep in mind a lot of GPU nowadays have a fanless mode.

You can further software mod it so that it is power restricted and only stay in fanless mode.

There are also a few fanless GPU, including a fanless GT 1030.