:D SG13 build advice :D

Tommy5566

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
Hi all,

So i am going to be building a ITX build over the christmas period because I want SFF. Going for a SG13 but wanted to get some imput from others that may know what they are doing regarding the case.

Firstly, it is going to be a gaming build and media system. So I need to think about cooling. Fan cooling will be my first go to. Not going to be overclocking atm, and maybe not in the future. That being the case, does anyone have a sugestion for the fan cpu cooler? obviously needs to be under 61mm

Secondly, I may stick with a non-modular ATX psu for the time being. 150mm deep. Will this fit along with the 3.5HDD drive tray? Will eventually swap for a SFX fully modular to aid with flow and stuff, but might hold old for a little while while I save some money and do PSU and GPU at the same time. This as long as it doesn't conflict with the build itself.

Really looking forward to going full small size!!!

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
fellow sg13er here: atx will fit with a 3.5in hdd, its a squeeze but not unmanagable. i will say that my non modular atx psu is really the only thing keeping me from recklessly upgrading to something fancier: do with that information what you will ?

cooling really depends on the hardware: i'm cooling a 1600x alright with a l9a: dont have temps on hand and i dont really push it often, but it works for me.

Reactions: Tommy5566

Tommy5566

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
fellow sg13er here: atx will fit with a 3.5in hdd, its a squeeze but not unmanagable. i will say that my non modular atx psu is really the only thing keeping me from recklessly upgrading to something fancier: do with that information what you will ?

cooling really depends on the hardware: i'm cooling a 1600x alright with a l9a: dont have temps on hand and i dont really push it often, but it works for me.

Brilliant!

I will probably stick with this for my current pc and then go smaller for my next which will probably be a ryzen.

What intake do you have? I have many a basic case fan, but might pick up something a bit more specific as the space is tight and air might get hot

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
My previous build was in a SG05, which is quite similar but not exactly the same.

My first recommendation is to use a SFX power supply, with an ATX to SFX adapter plate.

The difference in height between the two is around 22mm. For the sake of simplicity and some clearance and tolerances in the adapter plate, lets go with 15mm. This increases your cooler clearance from 61mm to 76mm. At 76mm, You can run a Noctua L12S, Scythe Big Shuriken 3, Thermalright AXP100 among many others. If you read some reviews, you'll find that most of those coolers will easily cool a 95W CPU at stock speeds.
Since you can find SFX/SFX-L power supplies up to 800W, I don't see a point in going for an ATX power supply at all in a Mini-ITX case. It's just wasted space.

If I was in your situation, I would save a bit more money and spend it on some higher end components now. Something like a 600W Gold efficiency SFX power supply could be used for a long time and a variety of builds before it would need to be replaced.

Tommy5566

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
My previous build was in a SG05, which is quite similar but not exactly the same.

My first recommendation is to use a SFX power supply, with an ATX to SFX adapter plate.

The difference in height between the two is around 22mm. For the sake of simplicity and some clearance and tolerances in the adapter plate, lets go with 15mm. This increases your cooler clearance from 61mm to 76mm. At 76mm, You can run a Noctua L12S, Scythe Big Shuriken 3, Thermalright AXP100 among many others. If you read some reviews, you'll find that most of those coolers will easily cool a 95W CPU at stock speeds.
Since you can find SFX/SFX-L power supplies up to 800W, I don't see a point in going for an ATX power supply at all in a Mini-ITX case. It's just wasted space.

If I was in your situation, I would save a bit more money and spend it on some higher end components now. Something like a 600W Gold efficiency SFX power supply could be used for a long time and a variety of builds before it would need to be replaced.

I will be getting a sfx supply, but I own a atx, so if I can fit it for the time being a will and get a better sfx PSU in about 6 months time

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
I would also consider the SG05-lite. Might be cheaper and a little smaller.

CPU clearance wise I don't know why at the SG13 they say it's 61mm. Back then I put a ATX PSU inside the SG05 and underneath it I had a fanless Thermalright AXP-140 (70mm). Today with the L12-s you could have two 120mm fans in push-pull (PSU and Noctua).

Maybe they are a bit careful with 61mm maybe the monting is closer to the board than I had it. Maybe a little bit of both.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I will be getting a sfx supply, but I own a atx, so if I can fit it for the time being a will and get a better sfx PSU in about 6 months time

Well then give us a build breakdown/part list of what you plan on going for now, and what you plan on upgrading/replacing in the future. Will be easiest this way I think.

Tommy5566

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
Well then give us a build breakdown/part list of what you plan on going for now, and what you plan on upgrading/replacing in the future. Will be easiest this way I think.
I will be using this PSU for about 6 months untill I get an upgrade to a Corsair sx

For the time being I will also have a 1050ti itx (evga) and will be upgrading to a 2060 and also a Cryorig MicoCr-C7 Or the noctua l9A cooler ( haven't quite decided on it for definate yet) to cool my i5 6600, which is not and will not be overclocked, so an aio is not strictly needed.

I will be using a 120mm intake to make sure that there is not GPU obstruction problems.

Thanks all. Really appreciate the help

Tommy5566

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
I would also consider the SG05-lite. Might be cheaper and a little smaller.

CPU clearance wise I don't know why at the SG13 they say it's 61mm. Back then I put a ATX PSU inside the SG05 and underneath it I had a fanless Thermalright AXP-140 (70mm). Today with the L12-s you could have two 120mm fans in push-pull (PSU and Noctua).

Maybe they are a bit careful with 61mm maybe the monting is closer to the board than I had it. Maybe a little bit of both.
It might be because they want breathing space between the PSU and the CPU cooler to allow proper airflow in

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
It might be because they want breathing space between the PSU and the CPU cooler to allow proper airflow in

Might be. I don't like it when they think the customer is to dump to consider this himself. I want them to just tell me how much room there is.

Like I wrote: I used the PSU fan as the only fan on the CPU heatsink. In this scenario you don't want to have any breathing space..!

Same goes for the L12S... which would be your best choice. If... there are 70mm.

Tommy5566

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
Might be. I don't like it when they think the customer is to dump to consider this himself. I want them to just tell me how much room there is.

Like I wrote: I used the PSU fan as the only fan on the CPU heatsink. In this scenario you don't want to have any breathing space..!

Same goes for the L12S... which would be your best choice. If... there are 70mm.
Did this actually work?

Also, any issues with standard fan GPUs?

nereith

What's an ITX?
Jun 1, 2019
If you can limit your system power consumption to 400W, you can use a tower cooler. But you have to stick with M.2 drives, or be creative on placing 2.5" drives.

I just did a build with the SG13 and Silver Arrow 130. No modding (drilling/cutting) needed.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
You don't even need the HDPLEX Unit. This here was a SG05 with Scythe Mugen 2 and not a huge ATX-PSU.

Reactions: Jello