Cuzza's Macintosh LC II Mod Project - Rebooted

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
All right people. You 1337 old-school guys might remember this project from back in the days about 5 years ago when I was posting in Losias and bit-tech and techpowerup.

Let's take a brief stroll down memory lane......

It all started in 2010 when I bought myself a Mac...

Stripped it...

Then started doing some sketchupping to see what would fit inside...

I had this mad plan to make it into a w/cooled gaming rig. And it got madder. I designed a water block that would go between the CPU and gpu with gfx card mounted on an angle. It was seriously ridiculous...

But like most hair-brained schemes it never got off the paper. Eventually I realised the futility and began to do something more reasonable...

But... cooling was still a problem. There ain't many cpu coolers that will fit under 40mm including the motherboard. So I had to improvise...

What do you get when you cut a DuOrb in half?

So that was all about 5 years ago! Then what happened? Kids happened. 3 of them.

But I'm back on the horse now. Time to get this baby finished!!

Here's the system as it looks right now. What have I done today? (a) the mobo is screwed down. (b) those mutilated blue brackets for mounting the cooler? I forgot to put them in. But it seems to work OK. (c) Cable dangling out the back is power button. This will be mounted at some point.

The main thing I did today was drill some holes in the top cover for the CPU cooler to draw in air. This kinda spoils the "stock" appearance of the case. But I don't care anymore. I just wanted to get on and do something to this project to make it useful.

I was dubious at the beginning, but considering my rudimentary techniques, the end result is not half bad.

I had to attack the raised sections of plastic because these were making contact with the fan. Not much clearance in there!

Here it is with the lid on, all powered up:

Mint! Fan is still kinda loud though. Need to drop the voltage on that one.

Stay tuned... I might even finish this project one day soon. Peace.

- Cuzz out.

Last edited:

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
I need fresh inspiration so let me know any ideas you guys have.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Kids are expensive creatures indeed. Do you have any goals for a final build of this?

Reactions: Soul_Est

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015