CPU Custom power cables?

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Hi guys!

So this is probably my first thread, maybe second, and definitely my first in a while.

I'm currently working on a custom case, and I'm using the HDPLEX 400W DC/DC internal PSU, but I have been killing myself trying to get a custom power cord to work with the external brick I got. I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a source, or can make one for me.

The brick I got is 24v 16.7a output, and uses a pair of output terminals (2 +, 2 -), so I've been trying to get a 14awg per connector cable, but I haven't found anything.

I tried to make my own barrel connector, but alas I am not an electrician, and my creation shorts out when connected to the female jack.

I am hoping to use the 7.4x5.0mm barrel jack it came with, but I am open to some alternatives.

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Why not just use the mini fit jr power connector on the hdplex instead of barrel connector?

Which connector is that? I didn't see anything with it that looked like a power connector other than the barrel connector. Just a bunch of atx cables.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

You can use a 4 pin instead of 6 pin if you want, it'll just slot into 4 pins instead of 6.

GOOD:
PSU <----- CABLE ----> HD PLEX

BAD:
PSU <---- CABLE---><--- BARREL CABLE--> HDPLEX

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018

You can use a 4 pin instead of 6 pin if you want, it'll just slot into 4 pins instead of 6.

GOOD:

BAD:

The problem with that is that would mean a cable going directly into the case, and that would be very cumbersome when moving the computer from place to place. And I'd rather not have a hardwired cable.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The problem with that is that would mean a cable going directly into the case, and that would be very cumbersome when moving the computer from place to place. And I'd rather not have a hardwired cable.

You can use any kind of female/male disconnect you want then. You can just use the same type as your HDPLEX, Mini Fit Jr. They come in 4 pin male and female type.

It doesn't have to be that barrel connector, just use the same type as the rest of your HDPLEX board. You also don't need 14g. You can use 16g. 14g is overkill and is bulky. Mini Fit Jr can be fitted with 16g if you use 16g terminals.

Reactions: VirgoH

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
You can use any kind of female/male disconnect you want then. You can just use the same type as your HDPLEX, Mini Fit Jr. They come in 4 pin male and female type.

It doesn't have to be that barrel connector, just use the same type as the rest of your HDPLEX board. You also don't need 14g. You can use 16g. 14g is overkill and is bulky. Mini Fit Jr can be fitted with 16g if you use 16g terminals.
Sorry for the late response, this is immensely helpful, I just want to understand, which 4 pins would I use on the HDPLEX, and would that carry the full 400w?

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018

GOOD:

BAD:
Does it matter which 4 pins I use, aside from matching positive and negative, or rather ground?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Does it matter which 4 pins I use, aside from matching positive and negative, or rather ground?

Correct, does not matter.

GND btw is just vernacular for negative, aka common.

This is because older electrical system used actual ground but nowadays it is all isolated instead, no direct connection to ground. Real ground is called earth ground now.

Reactions: VirgoH