Power Supply Alternative HDPlex 5.5mm Barrel Connector?

DeMoB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016
I'm about to set up a very low powered SFF build with a HDPlex 160w, but my preferred 45w AC-DC adaptor uses a 5.5mm/2.5mm DC barrel jack instead of the larger (7.4mm) one the HDPlex comes with.

My issue is that I want to build the case out of 5mm Perspex, and all the panel mounted female jacks I can see (on eBay) can only be mounted on panels up to 3mm thick.

Does anyone know of an equivalent PCB mounted 5.5mm female DC barrel I can use?

Worst case I guess I can use one of those size step up adaptors with some tape to make sure it doesn't come loose, but thought I'd ask around first.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
On the matter of HDPlex barrel connectors, do you guys know where can i find one replacement for the barrel connectors of the HDPlex 160w DC-ATX unit (or even if it's available)?

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
You're building the case? Then couldn't you just make the opening for the jack large enough to fit the connector and 2mm of the housing as well?

For example if the connector is 5.5mm thick and the housing for it 7mm just make the hole 7mm so you can fit the housing in as well.

I've never worked with Perspex but if possible, you could also just countersink the holes for the jack an extra 2mm as well.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
On the matter of HDPlex barrel connectors, do you guys know where can i find one replacement for the barrel connectors of the HDPlex 160w DC-ATX unit (or even if it's available)?

I'd just contact Larry @ HDPlex. He could probably mail one out to you for a few bucks. Pretty nice and pretty reasonable guy.