Power Supply Help! :-) Adapter Question For Incoming "Brick Power"

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
I have one of the 450w G-Unique PSUs and am looking for a suitable internal 12v power supply.

In the mean time, I have 2 of the 197w bricks from the 160xt

Here's the question: The 192w bricks have barrel jacks on them, and come with "barrel to 4 pin female" adapters.

The G-Unique unit has an 8 pin power jack coming from the 12v power source.

They "fit in" but is it as easy as simply plugging each of the bricks into one side of the 8 pin (The G-Unique is rated at 450w)

This would be a good way to get my 3 liter up and running till I find a good 500w solution to put inside it..

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
It could be that easy if the GPU power and DC-ATX power cables are connected to a seperate 192w brick each and you only needed 192w for the GPU and 192w going to the DC-ATX unit. From pics I've seen, it looks like this would work and is how the 8pin connectors for his units are done (4 of the pins for the GPU cable and the other 4 for the DC-ATX) but I'd definitely double-check first.

If you need to pool the power together so the DC-ATX can use more power than the GPU or vice-versa then I think you'd need a proper combiner unit.

I'm pretty sure @Kmpkt would probably have a good answer for this. Those are my thoughts tho, good luck!

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
To clarify Royalba, the 8 pin incoming power on Gury's unit feeds the whole unit (2 8 pin PCI, 1 unconnected molex and sata plus ATV 24 pin and Board power)

So my proposal is to "feed 2 sides of the 8 pin" with 4 pins each from the 2 bricks.

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Also, I exhausted my electrical knowledge by poking each of the power rows with an ohm meter and all 4 across seemed to feed one of the 8 pin pci plugs

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
To clarify Royalba, the 8 pin incoming power on Gury's unit feeds the whole unit (2 8 pin PCI, 1 unconnected molex and sata plus ATV 24 pin and Board power)

So my proposal is to "feed 2 sides of the 8 pin" with 4 pins each from the 2 bricks.

Correct, that's what I understood. I probably wasn't very clear in writing. I was saying that if the GPU and the DC-ATX unit only needed 192w each and the 8pin connector was connected like below (with the proper 12v and ground connections of course) then it'd probably work just fine.

Hopefully that helped to clarify. If it isn't like the above then you'd need some kind of an adapter.

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
And a diagram for the win! Thanks. If the Ohm meter completes a circuit from any of the bottom row, does that make it not so?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
And a diagram for the win! Thanks. If the Ohm meter completes a circuit from any of the bottom row, does that make it not so?

Very likely but not necessarily.

The main things that we need to figure out are A) what is the pinout (which pins on the 8pin connect to what pins on the GPU cable and DC-ATX unit) and B) do the DC-ATX and GPU share a pin and C) what is the pinout for the DC jack to 4pin connector adapters (which pins are +12v and which are ground)

The only ways I can think of to figure it out would be to check it with the multi-meter and depending on what results that gives you maybe even taking the heatshrink off of the 8pin connector to check if any of the pins are being shared.

Once we know what pins on the 8pin connector are connected to which pins on the GPU connector then we can figure out which are 12v and ground because of the standard pinout on the GPU end.

Hopefully that made some sense.

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Just sailed way above my expertise.. lol. I was just thinking. I believe it would be a safe bet to set u pthe system, set the power targets a bit low on the 1080ti. and as long as I don't run any stress tests I should be ok? (IE even f it is puling from the one brick, those things can pull 220 watts pretty well.

That and get my internal Meanwells on the double :-)

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Just sailed way above my expertise.. lol.

Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was just thinking. I believe it would be a safe bet to set up the system, set the power targets a bit low on the 1080ti. and as long as I don't run any stress tests I should be ok? (IE even f it is pulling from the one brick, those things can pull 220 watts pretty well.

That and get my internal Meanwells on the double :-)

The only thing that has me nervous about doing that is not knowing if the pins on the 8pin will get the proper voltage (12v or ground) since I don't know the pinout of the 8pin or the 4pin adapters.

Not to be mr. doom here or worry you too much but if you end up trying to power on the system and you have a 12v and ground in the wrong place you'll (99% of the time) fry your mobo and/or GPU and they won't work anymore :/