Custom Cases & Projects sub-forum feedback

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So by "antiquated and illogical measurement systems," do you mean the U.S. Standard system??

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Okay, but that's insulting to us americans.

It's just some harmless razzing, don't worry! It is like when people make fun of the few outsiders who choose to remain doing things the way they always did. There are only 4 or 5 countries in the world that use the imperial system of measurement, and so it is just a light tease.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
What??? So basically Allurphobia was insulting his own home system of measurement? I see things in feet, inches, and yards, not mm, cm, and meters

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
What??? So basically Allurphobia was insulting his own home system of measurement? I see things in feet, inches, and yards, not mm, cm, and meters

Aibohphobia, who is a staff member, not "Allurphobia".

That's his call - if he wants to insult the measurement system of his own country, so be it.

We have specified rules for a reason - to ensure that users have a clear guide for posts. I'm not sure what your intended goal in this thread is (be it patriotism, preference for a certain measurement system, or whatever), but whilst Aibohphobia did request feedback (6 months ago), we won't be modifying this particular rule. It caters for 95% of the world's population. One could argue that we are excluding more of the world by requiring posts to be in English (another rule that will not be changing).

TLDR; Rule is staying as it is.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I wasnt expecting the rule to be changed, but It's a pain for me.... LOL

Lol, really? I knew americans used the Imperial units more, but I was pretty sure most of them were also familiar with metric.
Aside from the reasons stated by confusis, I also find the Metric system much easier and precise.
For example, the size of my recent case project is 368 x 291 x 74mm.
According to google, if I would use the Imperial units, it would be: 14,4882 x 11,4567 x 2,91339in.
Seems complicate haha XD

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I also find very cool how you can predict the volume of something just by multiplying the 3 metric measurements.
Example: 36.8 x 29.1 x 7.4cm = 7924mL = 7.9L
This is very usefull, specially on the "SFF world", where volume is considered such an important thing.
I guess this is kinda obvious for people who uses metric system, but might be a good tip for you.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I am also an American living overseas and prefer the metric system. Growing up I didn't like it because nothing in america uses it, so the system is kind of worthless, however for anything technical or engineering related the metric is so much better, and after adopting it for that I find that in daily live its also easy to use.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Regarding imperial vs metric measurement........and I do not intend to resurrect or prolong an argument here:
I was brought up on feet and inches, pounds and ounces, pints and gallons and pounds shillings and pence..........
I measure now mostly in metric, but can swap easily between centimeters and inches, and I find imperial still the easiest to visualise in..
Born and raised in UK by the way..........
My point being, it may be useful for some if there was a sticky on this thread, a metric/Imperial conversion prog or table.........
Also, I note some fan manufacturers still rate in CFM.Cubic feet per minute...... perhaps a conversion for this too?
Might as well go the whole hog and have a volumetric conversion utility as well, for case specs and sizing....

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Imperial system is awesome when you're out and about, needing an indication without tools to gauge how large something is, roughly. The Metric system is to make linear and precise measurements possible with the use of tools. Since most of us use tools, be it calipers, rulers or even 3D design software, a single millimeter or even a tenth of a millimeter is precise enough, but can be very hard to even roughly translate into inches.

Basically: Imperial is excellent for hands-on work that doesn't require very high precision (home renovation, woodwork), Metric is excellent for precision work and you have the tools on the job (case projects, modding)

I'm not saying one or the other is exclusive, but just better (or worse) at certain tasks. Because Metric is easier and more precise in most projects and topics this forum deals in, it's the system most of us use. If we were a home renovation forum, I'd think the Imperial system would have a good chance of being the standard system here.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Point taken: As a matter of interest.I did an apprenticeship in woodworking machining...........long time ago............and I had to work the timber and joints to 1/64th of an inch..........obviously kiln dried and very stable hardwoods............

Reactions: Biowarejak