Forum categories, sub-forums, and organization

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looking for suggestions, don't want to split up topics too much but I want things organized as well.

One thing I was considering is a tag system. For example, a thread about cooling could be posted under general SFF but be tagged "cooling" rather than diluting discussion by splitting out a separate cooling sub-forum.

4RTEX

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2015
I wouldn't mind seeing a topic where we could discuss possible new options to attach side panel to pc case. Maybe magnets (only little ones)!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Feel free to make new threads, there shouldn't be any limits.
I'm still getting the hang of the user permission system though so please let me know if you can't create new topics.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
I think seperate subforums would be better. Don't need one for every topic (like CPUs and storage), but I can see PSU and cooling subforums taking off on their own.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think that will happen eventually but I don't want to split up discussion too much starting out.

But hopefully SFX and SFX-L will take off and we'll see a plethora of models and enough discussion of them to fill up a separate sub-forum.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I would like to make topic where we can post CAD files/sketchup files of models we have made ourselves.
This would not be CAD files of the case, though that would be fine to ofcourse but for parts that go inside.
For example I have made a 3D model of the HD-Plex 250W board and would like to share it with everyone.

Where should I post it?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hm. The Custom Case Corner is still probably the best place for something like that.

I wonder, though - maybe that thread should be more broad, so as to represent all custom hardware for SSF?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Funny you should mention that :D

I've been a big fan of the SketchUp Components Collection but the owner is winding down the site and no longer taking new submissions so I was toying around with the idea of starting up a replacement but with a bigger emphasis on accuracy so the models would be more useful for designing cases.

Let me think on it, a custom site is too complicated to get into right now so I could either make a new sub-forum with the files hosted externally (dropbox, google drive, etc.) or maybe set it up so the files are hosted here.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Hm. The Custom Case Corner is still probably the best place for something like that.

I wonder, though - maybe that thread should be more broad, so as to represent all custom hardware for SSF?

Yeah, it would be a way also to share ideas, for example if someone comes up with a neat way to mount SSDs or a PCIe bracket, all kinds of useful 3D files.
Funny you should mention that :D

I've been a big fan of the SketchUp Components Collection but the owner is winding down the site and no longer taking new submissions so I was toying around with the idea of starting up a replacement but with a bigger emphasis on accuracy so the models would be more useful for designing cases.

Let me think on it, a custom site is too complicated to get into right now so I could either make a new sub-forum with the files hosted externally (dropbox, google drive, etc.) or maybe set it up so the files are hosted here.
Sketchup is an amazing tool, but honestly everything I do is in Inventor, so I only have CAD files.

You could do a Tier system along the lines of
Tier 1, Accurate Sketchup and CAD files taken from real measurements and/or technical documents, also includes 2D drawings if possible
Tier 2, Sketchup and CAD files that are based on pictures and estimates
Tier 3, Work in progress files, posted for feedback and/or suggestions

This would be Tier 1 I'd imagine:

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sketchup is an amazing tool, but honestly everything I do is in Inventor, so I only have CAD files.

You could do a Tier system along the lines of
Tier 1, Accurate Sketchup and CAD files taken from real measurements and/or technical documents, also includes 2D drawings if possible
Tier 2, Sketchup and CAD files that are based on pictures and estimates
Tier 3, Work in progress files, posted for feedback and/or suggestions

This would be Tier 1 I'd imagine:

I would want something inclusive of more than just SketchUp. The SCC is a good start but I've learned from working on Nova that SketchUp is not the right tool for designing a case.

A tier system is a good idea. The less-accurate models are still useful for rough layouts so it'd be a waste to ignore them entirely.

Yup, that definitely looks Tier 1. I take it you modeled that off measurements of your unit?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A thought: I can make a sub-site of KI that acts as a repo for this content. It could be browsable like the abandoned SketchUp website you linked to, with its own domain. The platform we have isn't bandwidth or storage limited, either, so we wouldn't be cost constrained. (I'd just have to find the time to build it :rolleyes:).

I mean, I figure this is worth doing considering how valuable it would be to have drop-in 3D models for common components. The time it would save in the long run would be very significant.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Isn't file management in Squarespace a pain?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Isn't file management in Squarespace a pain?

Oh, absolutely. Even with their dev platform you don't get granular access to the file structure :/ Which they probably do intentionally, lest people use their cheap plans to host infinite quantities of content. Lame, but understandable for what they want to provide.

Still, it would be possible, if not impractical. And, alternatively, you could just use a different service for file hosting, and the site for browsing and redirects. Almost like a front-facing GUI for the actual content that's on a backend.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A suggestion:
  • Small Form Factor
    • SFF News
    • SFF General
    • Hardware (everything from CPU to PSU)
  • The Workshop
    • Build Logs
    • Custom Cases
    • Custom General (custom blocks, sleeving, cooling)
  • Everything Else (maybe name it differently, like "Other Topics")
    • Peripherals
    • Off-Topic

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Good suggestions. I may implement them if we start getting enough discussion that it warrants finer categorization.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Maybe a more niche forum: Portability
Covering flight cases, backpacks, etc; portable peripherals; portable monitors; large battery backups; other considerations for travel (power supplies, desiccants, customs issues, etc); and so on.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Can anyone clarify what rule I should follow in deciding if a topic on newly found hardware products that I want to post as a new thread is more appropriate to be in the Hardware subforum or in the News subforum? Or should I just pick one of them and wait for a mod to move my thread if they think it belongs to the other?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
My opinion would be in News - unless the product is over a few months old, then throw it in hardware. I'll wait for a moderator or admin to confirm though

Reactions: veryrarium

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
tagging seems like a reasonable solution

Reactions: veryrarium