Forum categories, sub-forums, and organization

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looking for suggestions, don't want to split up topics too much but I want things organized as well.

One thing I was considering is a tag system. For example, a thread about cooling could be posted under general SFF but be tagged "cooling" rather than diluting discussion by splitting out a separate cooling sub-forum.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I just noticed that we've added a few more categories. Did we really need one for hackintoshes?

Reactions: Chrizz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Don't know where else to bring this up, so here goes:

I was browsing in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum and noticed that using my default view (sorted by most recent last post) there doesn't seem to be a simple way to sort by label/tag. There are now so many listings that I thought that it might be worthwhile to separate into a Buying subforum, a Selling subforum and (possibly) a Closed subforum - the last to clear the clutter from the first two. Also might be an idea to mark as Closed by default threads that have been locked (due to bans or whatnot).

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
This is a necropost but it's related to the topic. I have recommendations for sub-forums.

1. Media, a dedicated place for people to post images. Example topic: Post Your Desk/Setup
2. Reviews, a dedicated place for people to post (hopefully critical) reviews of cases or other components.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Agreed on both although I don't consider 'general subject threads' like "Post your rig thread" to be necrothread-worthy as it is meant not to be spammed into oblivion but posted when needed instead of yet another thread.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I'll throw in my $0.02

I am generally against carving up the forums into smaller and smaller sub-forums, nothing scares off new users like a site full of empty / dead sub-forums. A dedicated sub-forum just for pictures / media seems at best unnecessary and at worst an ultimatly vacant space w/ only sporadic threads being posted. As for a user review section, asuming you dont want to just post your work to the relevant sub-forum (hardware comes to mind as a good place to start) iirc @confusis has been on the lookout for community contributors (here).