CPU CRYORIG C7 copper released on Taobao at very limited quantities

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
For budget reasons I'll probably just get one first and see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking to go with the C7 because when the copper one finally comes out I can have all 3 and compare them more easily.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
For budget reasons I'll probably just get one first and see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking to go with the C7 because when the copper one finally comes out I can have all 3 and compare them more easily.

No problem bro, we will buy one to test ourselves than.
Looking forward to your results too :D

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
My brief web reading seems to indicate one commercial application of the graphene coating is in the LED lighting (where, as I understand, a lot of heat can be generated in the bulb shielding). And, it seems the coating helps to dissipate heat by 'radiation' as well as convection from the surface of the heatsink.

This is not a new invention and so I wonder why big manufacturers like Noctua, Thermalright and CoolerMaster have not used it. Maybe the C/P ratio is not high to justify it. Or, maybe the manufacturing cost is relatively high as it is mentioned that the coating can be easily scratched off from the heatsink surface.

Anyway, that guy said in his post that C7 copper version > C7 Graphene version > C7 base version.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Anyway, that guy said in his post that C7 copper version > C7 Graphene version > C7 base version.
So, he doesn't graphene coat the C7 Cu? Only the standard C7? I don't understand chinese too much lol.

The seller claims graphene coating gives ~10°C improvement here, and 30% improvement on other links haha. I'm kind of skeptical...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So, he doesn't graphene coat the C7 Cu? Only the standard C7? I don't understand chinese too much lol.

The seller claims graphene coating gives ~10°C improvement here, and 30% improvement on other links haha. I'm kind of skeptical...

The seller (ie Grey Whale) in Taobao does not make that claim. Rather, the member (ie fhce) in Chiphell forum said in post #17 in his thread that C7 Cu performs better than C7 Graphene and is better than C7 Standard.

Two observations:-
a) I take it C7 Graphene should perform better than C7 Standard
b) I have not had the time to dig around if this guy (fhce) has posted his testing of his C7 Graphene. But, since he said he had his C7 Graphene before receiving his C7 Cu and also since he only has just received his C7 Cu, I would think his C7 Graphene is only the standard C7 with graphene coating (ie not C7 Cu with graphene coating). This makes sense as the Taobao seller only starts to sell C7 Cu a few days ago.

Edit:
The seller did mention ~10C difference. He said he has tested a few heatsinks in an open format (which I take it to mean a test bench). And he said, usually for ITX cases, there is not a well defined air path due to cramped space, thus do not expect much improvement.

Last edited:

Fenrir

Caliper Novice
Feb 7, 2018
The CU version of the C7 from grey whale has graphene coating. So if the graphene version of the standard performs better, perhaps the CU graphene version performs better than the standard CU as well?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The CU version of the C7 from grey whale has graphene coating. So if the graphene version of the standard performs better, perhaps the CU graphene version performs better than the standard CU as well?
I would think so. But the real issue is how much the performance gain is. Of course, the gain varies from one case to another, depending on the wattage of the CPU, the HSF and the chassis...factors. I wish to see some A/B testings.

BTW, I cannot find C7 Cu version coated with graphene in Grey Whale website. Can you link me to it?
I only see him selling the Cu version ¥449, the graphene version ¥389/¥289/¥269. These prices, being cheaper, indicate that these 3 graphene versions cannot be based on the Cu.

Fenrir

Caliper Novice
Feb 7, 2018
I would think so. But the real issue is how much the performance gain is. Of course, the gain varies from one case to another, depending on the wattage of the CPU, the HSF and the chassis...factors. I wish to see some A/B testings.

BTW, I cannot find C7 Cu version coated with graphene in Grey Whale website. Can you link me to it?
I only see him selling the Cu version ¥449, the graphene version ¥389/¥289/¥269. These prices, being cheaper, indicate that these 3 graphene versions cannot be based on the Cu.
The ¥449 CU version is graphene coated according to its title. Don't know for sure though as I don't speak chinese, but that's what google translate says anyways.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Heatsinks and heatpipes in macbooks are black. I wonder if those are coated? Hmm..

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The ¥449 CU version is graphene coated according to its title. Don't know for sure though as I don't speak chinese, but that's what google translate says anyways.
I do speak Chinese. The subtitle says the graphene version will be released (with its base remaining as bare copper). But then, further down, he says the graphene Cu version will be released simultaneously. But, there is only one price, RMB 449, which cannot refer to both Cu and graphene Cu. So, I guess he is selling the bare Cu version at the moment and that is the version bought and tested by fhce in Chiphell forum.
Anyway, if anyone plans to buy this, better contact the seller and get confirmation from him.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Fresh news from Cryorig employee:

Some retailers in China already received C7 Cu units, so this guy from Taobao is probably legit.
They are planning to do a full media launch next week, at the same time it will be launched in Japan too.

More great news: they agreed to send us 2 samples of C7 Cu, right from their factory. We will probably use just 1 for our project, so I'm offering the other to anyone interested on doing a proper review about it here on the forum (@IntoxicatedPuma , @confusis ?). Just PM me :)

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
, so I'm offering the other to anyone interested on doing a proper review about it here on the forum
I suggest priority given to someone who already has a standard C7 so that he can do a direct comparison (ie an A/B test in the same conditions), also preferably with a higher wattage CPU so that the heatsink can be pushed to its limit.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I suggest priority given to someone who already has a standard C7 so that he can do a direct comparison (ie an A/B test in the same conditions), also preferably with a higher wattage CPU so that the heatsink can be pushed to its limit.
I agree. I'm actually giving priority to @IntoxicatedPuma , cause I think he has the C7 standard already, and I also heard he is working on a Low-Profile CPU Cooler Roundup soon. Anyway, I think many here want to see a public review aboout it too, so lets see if he is interested XD

Reactions: VegetableStu

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The Graphene cooler apparently is out of stock and will be for some time, the seller raised the price to 4000 rmb (about $600) this afternoon. He also isn't responding to questions so I guess that means he has more than he can handle :)

Reactions: BernardoZ