Critique proposed S4M Brickless: Gigabyte X570, Ryzen 3700X, Zotac 2060 Super

zef

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Hi Guys,

So after a 10+ year hiatus from PC Building and Gaming, I'm considering getting back amongst it.
One of the main attractions to SFF is that I travel for extended periods for work, and I need something portable that is a more powerful than my ageing X230 Thinkpad.

Ideally I am looking to build a setup that fits, including screen and Peripherals into a Pelican Case for travel.
For size considerations and aesthetics I really want to go with a brickless S4M setup.

Proposed Setup:
---------------
Case: NFC Skyreach 4 Mini
PSU: HDPLEX 400W NanoATX Combo

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4-3600
GPU: Zotac 2060 Super Mini
SSD: 2x 500GB Samsung 970 M.2 in RAID 0

PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cYvxYH

Considerations:
---------------
- Power Consumption:
According to PC Parts Picker this system will use aprx 330W, so the HDPLEX brickless option SHOULD be viable. Does the HDPLEX need any adjustment to go from 120V to 230V?​

- Storage:
While a single 500GB M2 would do initially, I think I will realistically want a RAID 0 Array. My initial choice for the Motherboard was the ASrock X570 Phantom, but it only has 1x M2 Slot.​

- Virtualization:
I am going to be using this system to develop a Virtualised Training Environment, with between 6-20 VM's. Most of the VM's will require minimal resources, with only a few requiring >2GB of RAM and >20GB Storage. I believe I can get away with 32GB of RAM to run this "acceptably" as a proof of concept, and an MVP of 6xVM's would do the job fine.​

- 4K Gaming:
I will probably not be buying a 4K monitor any time soon, so this isn't really a concern. 1920x1440 is desired. With that in mind is it a good idea to save some cash by going for an RTX 2060 or another choice in GFX card?​

- Cooling:
It's worth noting that I do travel to fairly hot and humid places, but it is fairly moderate where I am based.​

Is there anything I've missed or overlooked? I'm like 98% sure the Zotac and HDPLEX will fit in the S4M fine along with the X570 board.

Critique away!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
RTX 2060 should handle 1440p fine (in the sense 5x-60-ish fps) . In fact, I believe 1660Ti will also work if you're willing to tinker and lower down some of the game graphic settings.

T4iga

Chassis Packer
Jun 21, 2019
I also think a 3700x might be stretching it but I can't speak from experience.
I would advise against RAID 0. What led you to the conclusion that it was necessary?
More out of curiosity: What makes you prefer the Gigabyte board over for other offerings? I debated it and decided against it since the I/O was to bad imo.

couchpotato

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2019
I also think a 3700x might be stretching it but I can't speak from experience.
I would advise against RAID 0. What led you to the conclusion that it was necessary?
More out of curiosity: What makes you prefer the Gigabyte board over for other offerings? I debated it and decided against it since the I/O was to bad imo.
I have the Gigabyte board. However when I built my rig, only Gigabyte and ASrock have their board on the market. If I build it now, I probably will get the Strix.