Advice Proposed Ryzen build - Your help appreciated

stedes

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 20, 2021
Hi guys

Planning to build my first SFF PC. Initially started looking for an Intel NUC to replace an ageing MacMini and ended up here....

This PC will be primarily used for work and night-time browsing/email/youtube/Plex (up to 4K).
I'd like a quiet PC (will be sitting on my desk) but not interested in a fanless design so I am prepared to tolerate a little noise although choosing
components to try to minimise as much as possible.

My budget is flexible. I chose higher end CPU/mobo/RAM. Was initially going for a Ryzen APU but decided to go CPU + cheap GPU (given I have the option
of upgrading later if I need to). Given the use case - I assume GPU won't be an issue.

I have built full size PCs before so the build itself isn't worrying me. Compatibility is my main concern.

Proposed build:
Case: iQunix ZX-1 (Air cooled)
PSU: SilverStone SFX-650-G
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Mini-ITX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S Low Profile

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz (2x16GB)
HDD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB
GPU: Leadtek NVIDIA Quadro P400 2GB Workstation Card

Case fans: Noctua of some description - haven't figured this out yet.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar build or if you think something isn't right here.
Your thoughts/advice/suggestions (on any of the components) is greatly appreciated.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If you were using the 5600x I would say you are fine. The 5800x is notoriously hard to cool with smaller air coolers, I would consider a 240mm AIO.

Reactions: stedes

stedes

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Sep 20, 2021
Thanks for that. This is the kind of advice I need.

The ZX-1 case has a water cooling version so can change to that. Having a 240mm AIO initially, what would be the steps if I change the GPU to a "hotter" one later? Would there be scope to use it to water cool the GPU as well or would that necessitate a complete change to the water cooling parts?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Take a look at this build, custom CPU loop in the ZX-1. If you think you want to add your GPU to the loop in the future I would do something like this rather than an AIO and you can add the GPU later.