CPU/GPU Coolers and Heat pipes

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I haven't done the reading but it also probably depends on what they're using inside, be it sintered powder or something else.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Based on some of the above reading, is seems 8mm heatpipes is way more efficient than 6mm; not sure why that's so.

The problem with 8mm pipes and why you don't see them more in our part of the world is that the minimum bend radius is pretty huge. In order to not kneecap the pipe's performance, I believe you need a outer bend radius of at least 5-6x the width of the pipe. In the case of an 8mm pipe that is 40-48mm.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
Has anyone tried 3D printing an Aluminum heatsink? If your case is sufficiently small, you could even combine the chassis of the case with the aluminum fins. Maybe you could use that copper block linked above and bend your own heat pipes and have them go into the aluminum. It would be expensive, but it might save a massive amount of time because then all you need to do by hand is bend and affix the heat pipes. I don't know how the thermal properties of 3D printed aluminum will be but I've read that DMLS printing results in metals with nearly the same properties.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
Has anyone tried 3D printing an Aluminum heatsink? If your case is sufficiently small, you could even combine the chassis of the case with the aluminum fins. Maybe you could use that copper block linked above and bend your own heat pipes and have them go into the aluminum. It would be expensive, but it might save a massive amount of time because then all you need to do by hand is bend and affix the heat pipes. I don't know how the thermal properties of 3D printed aluminum will be but I've read that DMLS printing results in metals with nearly the same properties.

3D printing aluminium is unaffordable; here's a shapeways' price of a 100*100*40mm heatsink I quickly sketched:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah I have aluminide handgrips from Shapeways that I use for a tool I developed for my work as a physiotherapist. They cost me 700 bucks a pop.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
I didn't realize metal 3D printing was so expensive. It seems like the only part consumed would be the Aluminum powder, but I guess they have to pay for the $million machine.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
SLS Aluminum will also have inferior crystalline structure compared with a wrought piece that is stamped, extruded, or forged, so thermal conductivity would not be as high. 3D printing makes sense when you have very complex geometries; not so much for other shapes. Also, mass transfer of heat pipes and vapor chambers have higher performances than a strictly conductive structure when you have a highly concentrated heat source.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
The problem with 8mm pipes and why you don't see them more in our part of the world is that the minimum bend radius is pretty huge. In order to not kneecap the pipe's performance, I believe you need a outer bend radius of at least 5-6x the width of the pipe. In the case of an 8mm pipe that is 40-48mm.

What about an 8mm heatpipe that split into 2x4mm pipes during the bend section, and then returned to an 8mm after bending?

It would still bottleneck around the bend, but maybe less so?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
What about an 8mm heatpipe that split into 2x4mm pipes during the bend section, and then returned to an 8mm after bending?

It would still bottleneck around the bend, but maybe less so?
In theory yes, but good luck finding one manufactured that way.

Reactions: Phryq

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You could get a couple different sizes and join them with thermal adhesive but I'm not sure if it works out being an improvement

Reactions: Phryq

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Fantastic ^^, that looks very similar the idea I was having.

I looks like he's using the pico-PSU with an external power brick?

Above the flat heatpipe (which is basically the same thing as a vapor chamber, no?) Is an aluminum mount, and the second cooler sits above that. If he could get rid of that aluminum layer, heat would transfer better into his top heatsink.

Also, heat won't move very effectively into most of the case's side fins. The heatpipe is only making contact with the centre fins. Maybe if he had a second flat heatpipe sitting flat against the case's sides?

Here's a pic, so the red fins will be hot, but not the others. The purple is where I think he could add another flat heatpipe.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

Sure, make it yourself or have someone make it for you. It definitely looks to be a 2D profile, so it should be too hard to duplicate it in copper. You may want to make it thicker than (what appears to be) the aluminum clamp to maintain mechanical properties. If it is steel, you'd want to make it even thicker to make sure you have sufficient clamping pressure on the CPU.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Sure, make it yourself or have someone make it for you. It definitely looks to be a 2D profile, so it should be too hard to duplicate it in copper. You may want to make it thicker than (what appears to be) the aluminum clamp to maintain mechanical properties. If it is steel, you'd want to make it even thicker to make sure you have sufficient clamping pressure on the CPU.
I dont really get the idea of clamping pressure. Too little cpu pressure will harm the cpu? Should I get some fancy spring screws?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
You just want to make sure there is a good tight fit between the heat pipe and the heat spreader on the CPU. Lack of rigidity in the clamping piece could mean it would deform while trying to clamp down on the heat pipe, resulting in a less than ideal mate at the thermal interface.