Power Supply Corsair SF750 fan noise question

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Just finished my build with Silverstone RVZ03. I used my spare SF600. Everything seemingly all right until I remember why I changed back to ATX, and that's because the SF600. I vaguely remembered that Corsair SF600 has an issue with its fan, whereby once it ramps up, it will never go down... As is what's happening in my case. Even at idle and with AC turned on (idle temp 26 degrees C), once I play a session or two in any game, the SF600 fans just kind of stuck spinning all the time. The fan currently is the noisiest part of my build.

My last build with an RVZ02 that I got commissioned was using an i5 + GTX 980 and Corsair SF450. I remembered exactly the PSU fan only starts to spin at around 140 watts and after a game session it relaxed, and even went idle again.

Just wondering if SF600 fans behave as intended, and if it's not, does the SF750 have the same behavior?

Right now, I need to restart my PC for the fan profile to relaxed, but then, it's very inconvenient to restart my PC everytime I game.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
IIRC, SF600's fan considers both the load and the temperature. So, I suppose, after some gaming, the fan will not slow down immediately even though the load is now low as the temp sensor still senses higher temp inside the PSU.

Frenzy

Trash Compacter
Feb 14, 2020
This behaviour is a common complaint with the earlier Rev. models of the SF600 as I undertand. Later versions and now with the SF600 platinum (io gold), the fan would stop again with lower loads. I currently have the SF600 platinum and the fan always stops again after spinning/high-load. Hard to say how quickly after load, quite quick because I've never noticed it emit noise. Unlike my earlier build Silverstone 450W ST45SF-G, where the fan noise became annoying.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
This behaviour is a common complaint with the earlier Rev. models of the SF600 as I undertand. Later versions and now with the SF600 platinum (io gold), the fan would stop again with lower loads. I currently have the SF600 platinum and the fan always stops again after spinning/high-load. Hard to say how quickly after load, quite quick because I've never noticed it emit noise. Unlike my earlier build Silverstone 450W ST45SF-G, where the fan noise became annoying.
Thanks, I need this confirmation. So the SF750 is a safe buy then, after all it's only $15 difference and to avoid getting an old stock of the SF600. In my country ITX/SFF is a very niche market, so for PSU, we only have Corsair SF450/600/750 and Silverstone SX500.

IIRC, SF600's fan considers both the load and the temperature. So, I suppose, after some gaming, the fan will not slow down immediately even though the load is now low as the temp sensor still senses higher temp inside the PSU.
Thanks for the input, I idle my PC for an hour under aircon, and the PSU fan never lower from its highest RPM. Restarting my PC lowers the fan but never until the moment it idles. Something about the temp sensing mechanism made it very sensitive to heat.

toomanyboxes

space man spiff
May 27, 2019
Yes the SF 750 is safe buy. I have one and I am not sure I have ever heard the fan spin up yet. I am certain the fan spins while gaming but my GPU fan drowns everything out.

Added bonus - the 750 comes with sleeved cables versus ribbon cables

Thanks, I need this confirmation. So the SF750 is a safe buy then, after all it's only $15 difference and to avoid getting an old stock of the SF600. In my country ITX/SFF is a very niche market, so for PSU, we only have Corsair SF450/600/750 and Silverstone SX500.

Thanks for the input, I idle my PC for an hour under aircon, and the PSU fan never lower from its highest RPM. Restarting my PC lowers the fan but never until the moment it idles. Something about the temp sensing mechanism made it very sensitive to heat.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes the SF 750 is safe buy. I have one and I am not sure I have ever heard the fan spin up yet. I am certain the fan spins while gaming but my GPU fan drowns everything out.

Added bonus - the 750 comes with sleeved cables versus ribbon cables
It's actually the Platinum versions that come with the sleeved cables and the Gold that come with the ribbon, you get sleeved cables even with the SF450 Platinum.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Just a testimony, bought the SF750, and works as advertised. Fan doesn't spin on light loads, played games up to 180 watts off the wall, and it still doesn't spin. Same use case on my old SF600 gold, the fan will start to spin at 100 watts.

Also because the PSU fan doesn't spin, I now realized that RVZO3 PSU intake port aren't intake... It's actually exhaust port for the case. Now because the PSU fan never spins, hot air from the case fans are blown out the port, straight to my face.

Shivers

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 14, 2020
Just a testimony, bought the SF750, and works as advertised. Fan doesn't spin on light loads, played games up to 180 watts off the wall, and it still doesn't spin. Same use case on my old SF600 gold, the fan will start to spin at 100 watts.

Also because the PSU fan doesn't spin, I now realized that RVZO3 PSU intake port aren't intake... It's actually exhaust port for the case. Now because the PSU fan never spins, hot air from the case fans are blown out the port, straight to my face.
Neither the 600 or 750 fans should be spinning at only 180w consumption, 600 is meant to spin at 240w+ and the 750 at 300w+ I think it is?

thylacine

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 24, 2019
Neither the 600 or 750 fans should be spinning at only 180w consumption, 600 is meant to spin at 240w+ and the 750 at 300w+ I think it is?
It could be, the SF600 Platinum does not spin at 120W and already does spin at 300W (at ambient temperature around 25°C as well as 30°C), according to JonnyGuru.com. He has not reviewed the SF750 unfortunately.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I have 3 SF600 Platinums and I don't have the issue you described. I've only ever had that with EVGA PSUs.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
Cybenetics changed up their url structure, but they still have multiple samples of the SF450/600/750 available to review. As always view any dB(a) measurement with a grain of salt—ideally you find some other psu you’ve personally used as a reference point within their database.

Corsair psu list