Storage HDD heat on SFF PC

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
As I switch from Phanteks Evolv ITX to Cougar QBX, I'm noticing some minor issues, not technically disruptive, but personally disruptive to me. Aside from noise complaint from SF600, my next concern is heat. Turns out, the hottest idle component running on my new build is my Harddisk Drive, a Toshiba DT01ACA200, a 7200 RPM 2TB from my old builds. At 43 degrees C, it's hotter than my Ryzen 7 1700X which idles at 41 degrees C.

My question is, does HDD heat affects the heat inside an SFF and does it have adverse effect? Also, since my drive is a 7200RPM, does changing to slower spinning drive like WD Red 5400RPM will lower my case temp? The best way is to get rid of the HDD, but I bought the QBX with that one 3.5" drive bay in mind since platter disk GB/price ratio is still the best.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Be careful not to confuse temperature with heat. That drive only outputs about 5W of heat at idle and 6.4W at load, according to the spec sheet. That's nothing relative to the 50-100W your CPU puts out under load. So no, it won't make any significant difference to your case temp.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Be careful not to confuse temperature with heat. That drive only outputs about 5W of heat at idle and 6.4W at load, according to the spec sheet. That's nothing relative to the 50-100W your CPU puts out under load. So no, it won't make any significant difference to your case temp.
Thanks for the information. I was worried about hot air cycling inside.

Honegod

Cable Smoosher
Dec 7, 2017
"I was worried about hot air cycling inside."

Reasonable, a 2w nightlight bulb can get hot enough to melt its plastic housing.

The temperature will rise until it is hot enough to force the amount of heat it is producing into the environment.
Since it is low watt it shouldn't take much airflow to keep up with heat production.
But it does need some.