Power Supply Corsair SF750 750W 80+ Platinum

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
OK thanks. No issues having a 8-pin cable powering a dual 8-Pin GPU ?

I plan to run two 1080 Ti Mini (dual 8-pin connector) from a SF750 but there is only 4 8-Pin connectors on the PSU side.

No, I don't think so. If you have issues, it will be from pulling too much power and tripping some sort of built in protection on the PSU (over-current, over-temp, etc.). If you melt the wires, there's something else going on entirely...

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
How do they manage to power both the CPU and the two RTX cards without using the daisy-chained dual 8-pin PCIe cables ??
This means they are using five 8-pin cables, while the SF750 has only four of those.

https://www.tomshardware.fr/ces-2019-interieur-corsair-one-pro-teardown/

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@tinyitx : thanks for the input !

However, since the SF600 and 750 share the same pinout, it seems that we have a total of 16 +12V wires available from the four 8-pin connectors.
Which means enough for four 8-Pin PCIe and one 8-Pin CPU connectors !

NeoConker

Caliper Novice
May 21, 2017
@tinyitx : thanks for the input !

However, since the SF600 and 750 share the same pinout, it seems that we have a total of 16 +12V wires available from the four 8-pin connectors.
Which means enough for four 8-Pin PCIe and one 8-Pin CPU connectors !

Looking at the picture they using all the PSU cables.

I think they put the 4x pciex straight to the GPUs and used 2x Peripheral & SATA to CPU.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
So my SF750 died after less than 1 year. I'm beginning to think that the fan has never worked. Anyone know what might be the issue? My replacement PSU power supply fan isn't turning on either. I'm running custom pslate cables.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
So my SF750 died after less than 1 year. I'm beginning to think that the fan has never worked. Anyone know what might be the issue? My replacement PSU power supply fan isn't turning on either. I'm running custom pslate cables.
I killed too many PSU due to its surrounding too high temperature.
In what case are you using it, with which setup and what load?

Strangely on SF450 and SF600 fan starts spinning based on, for sure, temperature and, maybe on load.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Did you get the sense wire?

Reactions: enricko7

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Maybe you should temporarily use the original Corsair cables to test the PSU, if you suspect faulty custom cables.
SF750's fan trigger point is 300W. So, you must somehow stress the system beyond this point for the fan to begin spinning.

Strangely on SF450 and SF600 fan starts spinning based on, for sure, temperature and, maybe on load.
According to the Corsair link below,
Fan spinning is seemingly decided by load only.
SF750 at 300W, SF600 at 240W and SF450 at 180W.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Running a dancase, 9900k and 2080 ti with a asetek 92 mm AIO cooler blowing hot air directly into it. Yes my custom cables do have the sense wires. So it seems like your right the fans dont trigger till 300W which basically never happens unless your gaming. I'm certain the heat killed my last PSU especially since the CPU will never trigger the 300W to start running the fans. Wish there was a way to control the fans independently.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Maybe you should temporarily use the original Corsair cables to test the PSU, if you suspect faulty custom cables.
SF750's fan trigger point is 300W. So, you must somehow stress the system beyond this point for the fan to begin spinning.

According to the Corsair link below,
Fan spinning is seemingly decided by load only.
SF750 at 300W, SF600 at 240W and SF450 at 180W.
For sf600, sf450, it’s both load and temp fan control. When load is lowered to idle, fan is still spinning following temperature this time. So I guess fan control is load for fan start and temperature for fan stop.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I searched the topic to ask the question if SF750 has better passive cooling capabilities than the SF600, but I guess the last discussion here answers the quetions.
My SF600 Gold is just next to me on the desk and lately I can see (and mostly - hear it) it spinnin quite fast in idle (with usage around 70W). Seems like it is temperature thing, as on the back of it I have 6800XT in passive mode with a lot of cable between them.

I was thinking of selling the SF600 after I get SF750 but I might just keep it as spare - just in case :)

@Desertf0x9 - did you manage to kill another one in the meantime? I will report back in a year :D

Actually, one important question - do SF600 and SF750 share the same pinout really? I have custom cables for SF600 and it would be shame if I need to reorder pins to use the SF750.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I searched the topic to ask the question if SF750 has better passive cooling capabilities than the SF600, but I guess the last discussion here answers the quetions.
My SF600 Gold is just next to me on the desk and lately I can see (and mostly - hear it) it spinnin quite fast in idle (with usage around 70W). Seems like it is temperature thing, as on the back of it I have 6800XT in passive mode with a lot of cable between them.

I was thinking of selling the SF600 after I get SF750 but I might just keep it as spare - just in case :)

@Desertf0x9 - did you manage to kill another one in the meantime? I will report back in a year :D

Actually, one important question - do SF600 and SF750 share the same pinout really? I have custom cables for SF600 and it would be shame if I need to reorder pins to use the SF750.
The cables are interchangeable. Make sure your 24 pin includes the sense wire. The Gold units work fine without the sense wire and some custom cable makers like pslate offer a version without them but they are necessary for the Platinum units.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I have all sense wires, yes. I will try to compare the stock cables of both PSUs as I would like to avoid removing the custom cables from the hardware (MB, GPU, etc). But any preliminary input is always great :)
Thank you!

Reactions: rfarmer

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Confirming the "in-place" swap with own custom cables work - I have all sense wires.
I am impressed and astound at the same time ...
As per the signature, I have the case pretty filled up - 5900X and 6800XT, which is likely playing a big role in the PSU temps. So, the 600W Gold would start around 5-10 minutes after boot (regardless of whether I use the PC or not) and won't stop spinning, at times even louder than any other fan in the case.
The 750W Platinum does not spin at all, so far, until I start a game (like Metro EE, which literally makes the case a hotbox). After I stop playing, 10 minutes later, the PSU fan stops, despite the case itself still being warm.
So, I don't know what controls the fan, for for the moment, the difference is huge ...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Confirming the "in-place" swap with own custom cables work - I have all sense wires.
I am impressed and astound at the same time ...
As per the signature, I have the case pretty filled up - 5900X and 6800XT, which is likely playing a big role in the PSU temps. So, the 600W Gold would start around 5-10 minutes after boot (regardless of whether I use the PC or not) and won't stop spinning, at times even louder than any other fan in the case.
The 750W Platinum does not spin at all, so far, until I start a game (like Metro EE, which literally makes the case a hotbox). After I stop playing, 10 minutes later, the PSU fan stops, despite the case itself still being warm.
So, I don't know what controls the fan, for for the moment, the difference is huge ...
Indeed similar experience than mine while switching from sf600 to sf750. This is really a very good psu.