Power Supply Corsair SF600 - 600W SFX PSU

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Hopefully, it isn't too much of a problem.

JonnyGURU said:
Since then, Jon has had many jobs in the industry, having worked for retailers, etailers, tier 1 distributors and even manufacturers. Whenever Jon has employment that creates a conflict of interest, he bows out of the participation in doing reviews, but he's a permanent fixture in the forums. The site continues to bear his name because nobody could think of anything better to call it.

mcbirds

Efficiency Noob
Jun 6, 2016
Anyone have coil whine after switching to the SF600? Tried a different SF600 and no luck. Tried 4 1080s that all had coil whine went and put my 980 Ti that I know had 0 coil whine and it whines too. I can't think of anything else that it could be other than the PSU causing this. Any ideas?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Have you tried a different motherboard? Coil whine is a tricky beast.

Personally I've not had any coil whine but I've only used a reference 980 and EVGA GTX 1060 SC with mine.

mcbirds

Efficiency Noob
Jun 6, 2016
Have you tried a different motherboard? Coil whine is a tricky beast.

Personally I've not had any coil whine but I've only used a reference 980 and EVGA GTX 1060 SC with mine.

I have not. The mobo, 980 Ti and one 1080 worked fine with a AX 860. Maybe it's the custom cables from cable mod. I did try the ribbon cables for just the video card but I'll put all the default cables back in and see what happens that really is the last thing I could possible think that could cause it.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hm, that'd be really weird if it's the cables but if it's happening with multiple video cards I guess it's worth checking.

mcbirds

Efficiency Noob
Jun 6, 2016
Hm, that'd be really weird if it's the cables but if it's happening with multiple video cards I guess it's worth checking.

That's the thing. One card definitely didn't have it before hand. One most likely didn't and four more did. The only changes have been the PSU, cables, and the video cards themselves. Plus Troubleshooting an NCASE with a custom loop in it is a nightmare.

I

Ionrent

I'm confused now because around the time of release he was implying a fan controller that accounted for both load and temperature, but in reality it was just a simple NTC thermistor circuit (really cheap temperature/resistance-based voltage control).

To complicate things, Corsair initially blamed SF600 fan noise on review samples that had a wrongly calibrated fan curve and indicated that later SF600 (and all SF450) samples were unaffected.

Now we're looking at a situation where there was a hardware issue all along and will require a sustaining project to be initiated and funded by management before the problem can be properly investigated and resolved.

If I'm wrong on any of these points please correct me, because at the moment I'm not really pleased!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, it's all a bit confusing. Unfortunately our schedules didn't line up and I didn't get a chance to talk with Mr. Gerow at Computex but hopefully at CES I can get the full story.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm confused now because around the time of release he was implying a fan controller that accounted for both load and temperature, but in reality it was just a simple NTC thermistor circuit (really cheap temperature/resistance-based voltage control).

I sent an email to clarify and yes, the fan controller in the SF600 is just a simple thermistor and does not take load into account. Mr. Gerow wasn't the PSU PM when the SF-series was developed, and the conflicting information posted at the time of release was because he was accidentally given the wrong info.

Now we're looking at a situation where there was a hardware issue all along and will require a sustaining project to be initiated and funded by management before the problem can be properly investigated and resolved.

It's not as good as it could be, but I hesitate to call it an issue since the semi-fanless function does work. Not ideally in all circumstances, but it does work.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Has the SF600 been discontinued? It's been out of stock everywhere for a while, even direct from Corsair.

What's the next best option?

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
I meant around the same wattage. Unless 450 is enough for an 8700K and 1080 Ti?

Last edited:

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Silverstone recently released a few new models, I don't think anyone has said how the fan is on those though.