Power Supply Corsair SF600 - 600W SFX PSU

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is an awesome PSU for a living room build, I'm amazed Corsair did so well on their SFX debut.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Ah I already suspected the case had a direct intake for the PSU like that, it makes sense that it can keep its fan off for longer. Very cool!

That's indeed impressive. My sf600 would spin up during normal web browsing in NCASE M1.

That might have to do with the orientation of the PSU. We don't know where the temperature sensor is, but it could very well be directly in the air stream of the hot passive exhaust.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've run some further tests and the fan PSU has remained off in all tests. I have been using the corsair SF450 model, so I don't know if this unit runs cooler than the SF600 at equivalent loads.

I also think that the 140mm thermaltake fan in this case may be having a cooling effect on the PSU, the power supply is mounted a few mm below the top of the case so there is a small gap allowing air to escape around the PSU and out the top vent. This may be helping to 'drag' the hot PSU air out the top.

First of all I ran the Unigine Valley test for 30 minutes, the SF450 fan did not start up at any point.

Second I loaded up the game Dying Light, left it running for 1 hour, again the fan did not start up, the processor was under 40% load during this test.

Thirdly I ran Unigine Valley simultaneously with Prime95 for an hour loading both the GPU and Processor 100%, the fan remained off.

The vents on the back of the SF450 do feel fairly warm (but not hot) after all this testing.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I just also wanted to add how the review is excellent!
You managed to get very interesting info and detailed qualities!
This PSU review is ways better than many others PSU reviews wich have specific equipment for the job.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This PSU review is ways better than many others PSU reviews with have specific equipment for the job.

Thanks! I'm still wanting to get better equipment, but in the meantime I'm trying to offer information that you don't typically see in other reviews like the fan controller behavior.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
We're the only ones who really take a SFF focus into account too :p

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Just completed another build with the Corsair SF450, this time in a Silverstone FTZ01B. The components used were:

- Silverstone FTZ01B
- Corsair SF450 PSU
- Gigabyte Z170N
- Intel i7-6700
- Noctua NH-L9i
- 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
- GTX 970 SC 4Gb EVGA
- 256Gb Samsung PM951 NVMe SSD
- 1Tb 2.5" HDD
- UJ267 Bluray Drive
- Windows 10

I carried out some testing to see how well the SF450 coped whilst under full load from the I7-6700 and GTX 970, I don't have any noise or power measurement equipment so my results are just basic observations!

Throughout this testing the FTZ01B chassis was positioned vertically. Under normal usage for a few hours setting up the OS the SF450 fan did not spin up and remained silent.

The first stress test I carried out was Unigine Valley, fired this up on maximum settings at 1080p and after around half an hour the SF450 fan was still stationary.

As the Unigine test does not stress the CPU I then started Prime95 with 6 threads running. After around 10 minutes of this I noticed that the SF450 fan started spinning very slowly, it then turned off after around 20 seconds. This cycle repeated each time the fan staying on for slightly longer until it remained on constantly after about half an hour of Unigine + Prime95.

The fan speed was very low and could not be heard over the GTX 970 fans, even with my ear next to the SF450 intake grill I could not pick out the PSU fan over the other fans inside the case, it was by far the quietest component in the case.

By the end of the test the GTX 970 was sitting at around 74C, the CPU was sitting at about 63C and the system temperature was about 41C.

Overall I am very happy with the SF450 for this level of build, I will definitely be using these power supplies going forward in place of the Silverstone SX500G which I have used up until now.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
OK. I haven't had any coil whine out of my SF600 but I've read a few people experiencing whine with these units.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looks like Corsair did a really good job on the performance aspects, and the test equipment Aris has makes me so jealous :p

antifocus

Efficiency Noob
Feb 6, 2016
I havent had coil whine for my SF600 either. I originally thought it did but realized that the high pitch noise comes from the motherboard, which is annoying but that's a different topic.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Still waiting for this to launch in China. An SF600 showed up on Taobao for the first time yesterday......but they're asking about $160 for it :(

I order an E-W150 for a ITX NAS case and should arrive Friday. I may grab another ST30SF for the power supply on that :(

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
An SF600 showed up on Taobao for the first time yesterday......but they're asking about $160 for it :(

In the UK the Corsair SF600 costs £100 and the SF450 costs £70, but the Silverstone ST30SF costs £42. It doesn't look like Corsair want to compete (yet) in the sub 400W SFX PSU sector. Besides, 300W for a NAS is surely enough power? The ST30SF is a great power supply as it spends most of its time running silent.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The ST30SF is great but I will be powering 6 hard drives in a 7L case, I'd prefer to use modular cables to get rid of the ones I don't need. I'd *like* to have an SF450 but ST30SF will work.