Corsair SF 80+ Platinum Fan Mod/Swap

Daarke010

Efficiency Noob
Jul 27, 2022
want to share my experience about, i got my original corsair fan broke while cleaning so i've been forced to switch it

My PSU is a Corsair SF450 Platinum, and nothing, these pictures are worth more than words

aaand it spins 😎

Thats true except for one thing. What the hell are those black sausages or whatever you call them between each wire and adapter?
It looks like 4 high watt/ power resistors? If so, what values do they have? Or are they just bad solder joints you tried covering up with cigarette sized shrink wire? A picture does say more than a thousand words, except if you don't know what the hell you are looking it. It just raises a lot more questions.

• Haha
Reactions: Valantar

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Thats true except for one thing. What the hell are those black sausages or whatever you call them between each wire and adapter?
It looks like 4 high watt/ power resistors? If so, what values do they have? Or are they just bad solder joints you tried covering up with cigarette sized shrink wire? A picture does say more than a thousand words, except if you don't know what the hell you are looking it. It just raises a lot more questions.
It's heatshrink to insulate the solder joints :')

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I think it's just heat shrink.

Reactions: NRG

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Be careful tho, it looks like green/yellow has a risk of shorting each other out. You didn't cover all of that exposed wire. If they cross each other when they get tvisted you are at risk of frying something.

He took the picture before he shrank the heatshrink so they're probably not on their final position. That's also why they are so 'large'.

iRebel

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
Is the connector on the SF1000L the same as the one on SF750? I am looking to mod the new SF1000L with a Noctua fan.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Just a hint: It might not be the best PSU regarding noise, according to this reviewer here:

Maybe this is due the Gold "only" standard. Maybe it's bad balancing. Not sure if it can be fixed with a fan swap

PS: The SF750 Platinum can power GFX up to the 4090 and is still considered to be the quietest SFX-PSU.

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
So I have been reading through this thread but I don't think my issue hasn't been mentioned yet.

I have a SF600 (serial starting with 211148xxxx ) in a compact (but not ultra compact) system with a 5600X combined with a RX 6600 XT.
The PSU fan does spin (very) briefly on boot, but when heavy loading the system for a while, nothing happens with the fan.
Even when the PSU is getting pretty toasty.

I was just wondering if that is normal for these PSU's?
Usually they go just in very low RPM mode to get at least some airflow going.
Doesn't seem to be quite normal to me.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So I have been reading through this thread but I don't think my issue hasn't been mentioned yet.

I have a SF600 (serial starting with 211148xxxx ) in a compact (but not ultra compact) system with a 5600X combined with a RX 6600 XT.
The PSU fan does spin (very) briefly on boot, but when heavy loading the system for a while, nothing happens with the fan.
Even when the PSU is getting pretty toasty.

I was just wondering if that is normal for these PSU's?
Usually they go just in very low RPM mode to get at least some airflow going.
Doesn't seem to be quite normal to me.
I was going to say, I don't see the point in fan-swapping one of the Platinum units exactly because of this behaviour.
I've got SF750 and SF600, neither of them even spin the fans 99% of the time. (Yes, it's expected behaviour btw)

Reactions: b_force

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
I was going to say, I don't see the point in fan-swapping one of the Platinum units exactly because of this behaviour.
I've got SF750 and SF600, neither of them even spin the fans 99% of the time. (Yes, it's expected behaviour btw)
Interesting, doesn't feel right at all when things getting that hot lol.
Especially in a small case.

I would much rather prefer just a low rpm breeze.

I thought my unit was broken or something.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Sounds like it's not running very hot. Maybe this helps:
Despite the higher than 40°C ambient, the fan doesn't spin during the first three tests, while it operates at very low speeds till the 90% load test. We have to push this product beyond its limits to make the fan rotate at its full speed, where the output noise barely exceeds 40 dB(A). All in all, the fan speed profile is highly relaxed.

If it bothers you too much, you can put slow spinning fan in front of it. ;)

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
Sounds like it's not running very hot.
I don't follow?
Barely able to touch means temperatures around 60 degrees C or so.
That's obviously the outer chassis.

The issue here for me is that it also heats op de rest of the system because of this. Since it's just sitting there generating heat and not taking it away.

Anyway, I will do some proper thermal and power tests to see what's really going on.

BTW, according to that review, the fan should kick it just below 200W.
A 5600X plus Rx6600xt definitely pull more power than that.
I think the Gpu would be already able to do so when being in full load.

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I don't follow?
Barely able to touch means temperatures around 60 degrees C or so.
That's obviously the outer chassis.

The issue here for me is that it also heats op de rest of the system because of this. Since it's just sitting there generating heat and not taking it away.

Anyway, I will do some proper thermal and power tests to see what's really going on.

BTW, according to that review, the fan should kick it just below 200W.
A 5600X plus Rx6600xt definitely pull more power than that.
I think the Gpu would be already able to do so when being in full load.
Maybe. My 5600G + RX6600XT pull around that but only if I'm trying to max them both out.
It definitely shouldn't be getting that hot. I've never noticed the PSU enclosure even being warm, let alone HOT

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Barely able to touch meant (as i understood it) that it's not that hot for an electronic component.
But you're right, it's highly subjective. Keep us updated. :)

Btw. if the system heats up: Add another 120mm fan (if possible) to the system. It's a zero rpm PSU (until high load), it's not meant to keep system temperatures low.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
Maybe. My 5600G + RX6600XT pull around that but only if I'm trying to max them both out.
It definitely shouldn't be getting that hot. I've never noticed the PSU enclosure even being warm, let alone HOT
Yeah, I will just do some power measurements first, so we have actual numbers to work with :)

Reactions: SFFMunkee