Corsair SF 80+ Platinum Fan Mod/Swap

acet

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 8, 2021
The Corsairfan in my SF600 was pinned in another configuration.
Don't take the repinning sketch for granted. Every fan could be pinned differently.
I would recommend removing the binning pictures in this guide and replacing it with a simple logic: "check the fan cable colours and rebin it in that same order."

Reactions: thelaughingman

der_brennesel

Cable Smoosher
Apr 20, 2018
I did this Mod some days ago.

The safe way is to peel off part of the fan lable, pinout is marked underneath it on the stock fan. PWM is P, + is +, black is minus, rpm is yellow (the unmarked one).

Additionally i recommend rewiring the adapter, not the Fan. And get the Chromax version, you can plug the fan directly into the adapter which gives you the same cable length as the stock fan.

trees_z

Caliper Novice
Jan 27, 2021
The Corsairfan in my SF600 was pinned in another configuration.
Don't take the repinning sketch for granted. Every fan could be pinned differently.
I would recommend removing the binning pictures in this guide and replacing it with a simple logic: "check the fan cable colours and rebin it in that same order."

This is what worked for me as well with my Corsair SF750 platinum. I initially re pinned per the edit to the original post but the fan wouldn't spin on boot. Ended up seeing another post where they suggested the same thing here. Fan works now. It spins on boot and under high loads.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Arent you guys afraid the noctua wont be enough to properly cool the PSU under heavy load? Did anyone research the stock fan's spec to see if the noctua match/exceeds it?

trees_z

Caliper Novice
Jan 27, 2021
Arent you guys afraid the noctua wont be enough to properly cool the PSU under heavy load? Did anyone research the stock fan's spec to see if the noctua match/exceeds it?
It's definitely a concern - the standard 92 mm slim Noctua fan starts to spin up a little later and pushes less air. The HS version is closer to stock corsair fan but still does not push as much air. You just need to take a look at some of the results and decide if it's a concern to you. Link from earlier in the thread below:
https://hardforum.com/threads/corsair-sf600-600w-sfx-powersupply.1864645/post-1043019698

der_brennesel

Cable Smoosher
Apr 20, 2018
Considering it pulls ccompletely fresh Air in the Ghost S1 and the tophat pulls out air I'm not very concerned, but i also went for the A9x14 Chromax because it is the HS version with 2500 rpm.

If i still had my Tu150 i wouldn't go for the mod though.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
It's definitely a concern - the standard 92 mm slim Noctua fan starts to spin up a little later and pushes less air. The HS version is closer to stock corsair fan but still does not push as much air. You just need to take a look at some of the results and decide if it's a concern to you. Link from earlier in the thread below:
https://hardforum.com/threads/corsair-sf600-600w-sfx-powersupply.1864645/post-1043019698

Interesting, that is pretty good.
In my case I have the SF750 Platinum here which is reported to have a more silent and more efficient fan, right? Do you happen to know the specs of that fan?
I got a feeling that this mod would be too risky for very little improvement with the SF750.

trees_z

Caliper Novice
Jan 27, 2021
Interesting, that is pretty good.
In my case I have the SF750 Platinum here which is reported to have a more silent and more efficient fan, right? Do you happen to know the specs of that fan?
I got a feeling that this mod would be too risky for very little improvement with the SF750.

No idea what the differences are between the fans - but I have seen less complaints about the fans on the Plat units. Risk is up to you. I personally have the SF750 Plat and replaced the fan. Not for any particular reason but just because I had an extra fan and I could

Moustache

Chassis Packer
Mar 23, 2021
Hey, do you folks have any suggestions on how to run the stock fan at higher speeds? My custom case has limited exhaust vents, and I want to move more air through the PSU.

Either a noctua or the stock fan, run off of a motherboard header, do I need to jumper the psu header to enable the PSU to start?