Corsair SF 80+ Platinum Fan Mod/Swap

torexko

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 8, 2020
It's based off PWM, so there is some inboard logic to control the fan based of RPM. The fan controller will loosely base it off load, but primarily bases fan speed off of heat output. The Noctua fan though it spins less than the Corsair, I'm sure moves more air and has more static pressure. That being said, the Noctua fan will likely come on around the same time, but with a lower RPM (and thus lower sound output) as well as cool it more efficient. That's the whole reasoning.
Yeah I'm talking about PWW aswell.
Noctua having lower max RPM, means it would always spin at lower RPM than the NR092L would at the same load and heat output. Therefore the PSU would be running at higher temps and potentially shortening its lifespan.
Actually I found some real world data of both fans installed inside a SF600 which confirms it. The PSU is running hotter.
https://hardforum.com/threads/corsair-sf600-600w-sfx-powersupply.1864645/post-1043019698

You can perhaps de-pin the NR092L, but you'd need new crimps for new connections into the mini-header, and the tool to do it. So you're better off doing the regular depinning method and making sure it works that way.
I see. I was hoping that maybe the crimps are the same on both headers.

PWM just varies the voltage doesn’t it? So 100% will be the 12v, which will max the fan at its respective RPM.

As for repinning, the cable length on the noctua fan is all of 1cm long from the body isn’t it? So an extension of some sort is necessary. UNLESS I’m just thinking of my recently acquired A12 x 15 Chromax...

Edit: Yeah nah, it has a decent length, ignore me.
Nope, PWM does not change voltage. It's 12V all the time. It's only changing the interval at which it's delivering the voltage. Smaller interval means less RPM, larger interval means more RMP.
100% means its delivering the voltage constantly, so the fans would spin at their max RPM.

Original NF-A9x14 cable is 20cm + 30cm extension and Chromax NF-A9x14 cable is 1cm + 30cm extension.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Yeah I'm talking about PWW aswell.
Noctua having lower max RPM, means it would always spin at lower RPM than the NR092L would at the same load and heat output. Therefore the PSU would be running at higher temps and potentially shortening its lifespan.
Actually I found some real world data of both fans installed inside a SF600 which confirms it. The PSU is running hotter.
https://hardforum.com/threads/corsair-sf600-600w-sfx-powersupply.1864645/post-1043019698
For power supply temperatures, I would consider a load change differential of ~48 to 55°C well worth the trade-off in sound. The power supply itself has a 7 year warranty, I'm sure it's more than robust enough to last with the extra temperature. As many have done on the 80+ Gold unit, if you're very worried about it you can also just run the fan to a regular header on your motherboard and avoid any depinning and things of that nature. If you took this approach, you'd most likely want your fan to match your GPU load, as in the vast majority of cases your CPU will draw less

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
On some of the smaller cases, would it not be beneficial to run a higher RPM/higher flow fan to help exhaust air out of the case?

The issue is that the Cosair SF series is pretty damn efficent and its relatively hard to get the fan even spinning, well it is on my SF750.... I guess while running a 3080/8+ core it should spin up?

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
On some of the smaller cases, would it not be beneficial to run a higher RPM/higher flow fan to help exhaust air out of the case?

The issue is that the Cosair SF series is pretty damn efficent and its relatively hard to get the fan even spinning, well it is on my SF750.... I guess while running a 3080/8+ core it should spin up?

My 9900k @ 5ghz and undervolted 2080ti spin the fan up almost immediately after I start gaming.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
My SF600 Gold spins even in idle, so it seems like it is more question of case/airflow/IO attached.
Heard that the 5V rail does not have passive cooling so it uses the fan when it gets hot.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I've never had my SF600 Gold spin up under idle, under load my GPU and CPU fans are more noticeable when I take my headset off.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
As I said, from my understanding the fan comes on primarily by heat/temperature load, and wattage as a secondary. Even if the PSU was well under acceptable temperatures, the fans would come on at some point due to wattage regardless of heat. But they may come on sooner given heat. I haven't gotten my fan to spin at all on 100% load in two different systems, with the stock fan. But both times it was acting more like a test-bench scenario, in a well cooled room. The first test was with a Intel i3-6100 and GTX 980 at full load. The next one was a Intel i7 9700K and a GTX 970 at full load. Fan wouldn't come on for either.

My personal rig once it's finished going to have a RTX 2080 and most likely an i9 10900F. Even though the 10900F is a lower TDP chip, the combination of it's PL1 or PL2 states and the RTX 2080 should be enough to get the fan to spin.

Regarding if a higher RPM fan is better for SFF cases for venting air; fan RPM alone isn't the entire factor. CFM of air movement and especially static pressure output will be more important in pulling air into, and forcing it out of, a very restrictive item like a power supply. Part of why I think the NF A9x14 is an upgrade, it should theoretically have higher static pressure than the NR092L even with the Noctua's lower RPM.

torexko

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 8, 2020
My 9900k @ 5ghz and undervolted 2080ti spin the fan up almost immediately after I start gaming.
And how is the noise?
Can you compare the noise before and after the Noctua fan swap?
I am planning to run the SF750 with the same CPU and an RTX 3080.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
And how is the noise?
Can you compare the noise before and after the Noctua fan swap?
I am planning to run the SF750 with the same CPU and an RTX 3080.

Can't hear it over the coil whine of my 2080 ti :)

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
Regarding if a higher RPM fan is better for SFF cases for venting air; fan RPM alone isn't the entire factor. CFM of air movement and especially static pressure output will be more important in pulling air into, and forcing it out of, a very restrictive item like a power supply. Part of why I think the NF A9x14 is an upgrade, it should theoretically have higher static pressure than the NR092L even with the Noctua's lower RPM.

I was talking about any fan running at higher RPM than it would normally would by Corsairs design in a straight swap by increasing voltage in some manner as my with a Ryzen 2700 and a 1080ti barely ticks over when gaming.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
I was talking about any fan running at higher RPM than it would normally would by Corsairs design in a straight swap by increasing voltage in some manner as my with a Ryzen 2700 and a 1080ti barely ticks over when gaming.
If you want to run a custom curve, just bring out the fan header and use an extension cable, if need be, to get extend the header to plug into your motherboard. As I mentioned above, have the fan curve set with your GPU load, if possible. That will most likely be more strenuous on the power supply than your CPU.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
hey guys i got a sf750 and with the addition of a 3090 to my SFF case, i finally started noticing it. My system used to be whisper quiet and the PSU fan is the only thing bothering me. I'm down for this upgrade too!

Can anyone link the exact adapter OP used for this? Link seems to be dead

Also @Sazexa , is it necessary to mess with the order of the cables of the adapter at all?

Last edited:

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
hey guys i got a sf750 and with the addition of a 3090 to my SFF case, i finally started noticing it. My system used to be whisper quiet and the PSU fan is the only thing bothering me. I'm down for this upgrade too!

Can anyone link the exact adapter OP used for this? Link seems to be dead

Also @Sazexa , is it necessary to mess with the order of the cables of the adapter at all?
If you search around for 4-pin (GPU or mini GPU, not sure which) header to pwm, you'll probably find one.

Messing with the adapter cable isn't, if you do the easier route, messing with the fan head lay-out.

pntn

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 4, 2020
Hey, just want to make absolutely sure I'm on the right order of things to get this done properly the first time.

So, as far as I understand, the Noctua fan will also spin as the same load as the Corsair one, given that the pins are swapped and it's connected properly. It should spin at boot and then stop right after, this means it's connected properly, just as the stock fan does - that's correct?

To make this mod, I'm gonna need this: https://www.desertcart.ae/products/...r-sleeved-cable-cord-for-vga-cards-cooler-fan - will this work?

And as far as I'm understanding, extension cable for the Noctua fans is what it says - an extension, so to avoid tampering with the short fan plug itself and potentially ruining the fan connection, can I tamper and switch pins on the extension cable of the fan instead? Extension cable is easier and cheaper to replace than the entire fan should I mess something up with the wiring in the process, that's why I'm asking. And ffter repinning, I connect everything together, fan to the repinned extension, repinned extension to the GPU adapter and then to the PSU? The only thing that needs a fix would be extension cable, the rest I don't have to tamper with?

Would this be correct? I don't have any other Noctua fan on hands and this is exactly same kind of extension cable I'll be getting, so I figured I might just try to do it on this one.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
If you search around for 4-pin (GPU or mini GPU, not sure which) header to pwm, you'll probably find one.

Messing with the adapter cable isn't, if you do the easier route, messing with the fan head lay-out.

So you are saying it is easier to mess with the pins in the noctua cable than to mod the adapter cable? I have the same worry from @pntn , would like to play with the adapter than to ruin the noctua fan, but if you say the noctua is easier so be it!

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
If you want to run a custom curve, just bring out the fan header and use an extension cable, if need be, to get extend the header to plug into your motherboard. As I mentioned above, have the fan curve set with your GPU load, if possible. That will most likely be more strenuous on the power supply than your CPU.
That fan curve may not work once you unplug the fan from PSU control. But it is easy to test first. Just try unplugging the fan cable from the PSU-PCB-board. It may not run without that connection! Mine would STOP without the fan being plugged into the PSU-PCB-board. Here's a LINK to my test.

xkeyscore

Case Bender
New User
Dec 5, 2020

Does your fan spin up on start with the sf750 and noctua fan? I did this guide and mine doesn't and I'm wondering if the pin out listed is incorrect. Could you double check it for me or maybe give me some advice? I've never seen my fan come on even under 100% load with a 1080 Ti and 9600k.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Does your fan spin up on start with the sf750 and noctua fan? I did this guide and mine doesn't and I'm wondering if the pin out listed is incorrect. Could you double check it for me or maybe give me some advice? I've never seen my fan come on even under 100% load with a 1080 Ti and 9600k.

If your fan doesn't spin up from a cold boot then you've got you're wiring incorrect. All tthe information you should need is in the first post.