SFF.Network Corsair launches cable kit for SF-series SFX PSUs

The SF600 SFX power supply from Corsair is a great unit, but one of the complaints I had in my review was that the stock ribbon cables were stiff and unwieldy in a tight SFF build. They weren't terrible by any means, but they were a far cry from the very flexible cables SilverStone includes with their SFF units.

Read more here.

Reactions: Phuncz

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
The cables still seemed pretty stiff (like bending 19 gauge chicken wire) but the paracord material felt great.
When I asked when all the old cabling on standard PSUs would get replaced with nicer cables stock, I was told that the cost would increase by $10 per cable and it would put them out of competition.

I replied, "Try it as test, I bet people would pay for quality when no other company is offering"
I really hope they give it a chance. Their 10-year anniversary 1000w White PSU was one such "Chance" and it was something that they thought will sit on shelves for at least a month. All 100 sold out within 2 hours.

They had RGB everything! Fans, memory, mousepad, mouse, a new K95 RGB with Cherry MX Fast switches,
RGM extremely-high-profile-ram - no plans to go smaller than their LPX line as their isn't enough demand.

I was told that all the AIO coolers will work on the standard AM4 mounting system.

Also, Jon mentioned that Corsair doesn't have plans to pursue making larger capacity PSUs due to the increasing efficiency of modern hardware....but they will be making a revision to the SF400 and SF600 that will enhance the fan functionality to turn on at a certain % load.

They showed me a big product that will get revealed in March/April but it's not SFF or even a computer component. Sit and think on that one for a while, you'll never guess what it is!

Also, I asked about their PSU testing methodology and why it seems they make "overkill" specs for each product and Jon offered to share his methodology with us once we get an official load tester.

They have a few SFX cases being designed but none at CES. The case guy was out to lunch but Jon gave him a spare business card after I left and I hope to keep in contact with them for future product reveals and reviews.

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Looking at the product pictures from the article, the model number for the SF Cable kit is CP-8920202. Nothing on amazon yet, but it is loaded in Corsair's online store for $39.99 (out of stock currently).

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
When I asked when all the old cabling on standard PSUs would get replaced with nicer cables stock, I was told that the cost would increase by $10 per cable and it would put them out of competition.

Doesn't look like it. But I'm still holding out hope that they switch the stock cables to something like what SilverStone uses.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I hope so, Jon himself is the one fighting battles with corporate to push SFX. Apparently he had been pushing Corsair to make SFX for a long time and Corsair didn't budge until they needed a PSU for the Bulldog.

Then, when he pushed for 600watt, they were resistant to do it but now they are glad they did. Sales for the 400 and 600 are split 50/50 and they want to start making SFX cases.

He said that they had to spend a lot of resources for this 3rd-generation of sleeving but if they see a large demand, they can remp up production to help bring costs down.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I hope so, Jon himself is the one fighting battles with corporate to push SFX.

They'd have an easier time moving SFX units if they had decent cases that used them, just saying XD

Though I think Jon has said in the JonnyGuru forums that the SF450/SF600 have been surprisingly popular for non-SFF cases where a short PSU allows for easier cable management, to clear drive cages and the like.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yup, maybe people will finally realise that efficient design is standard in all personal electronic devices, except desktop computers.
It's insane to me, as I've never heard a person say "I need a huge A4 printer, because they perform better" or "I want an large empty Xbox with room for three more Xboxes inside, if I ever need more power".

I get where this is coming from, but that's a mindset from two decades ago. So I'm glad SFX PSUs are here to stay.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I reached out to Mr. Jon Gerow to double-check and Jon actually said that using a more sophisticated fan controller is something he wished they had done in hindsight and may do in a future revision, but there are no current plans for it.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Nothing that I can talk about right now. :)

In Win & Streacom both have new ITX / SFF cases (okay, okay, the in Win chassis is slightly over 20 liters, so not SFF by common definition) on the way...

Might we at least get a rough timeframe towards some SFF chassis goodness coming our way from Corsair...?!?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Nothing that I can talk about right now. :)
When I read between the words, there is something that can be talked about but is not possible right now as Corsair has not made it public yet. Extrapolating, I think Corsair is going to release something (most likely a case, at least) related to SFF.
So, this is good news.
Guys, wait for Computex 2018. Something, hopefully more than 1 item, is coming.

Reactions: Boil

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
Does anyone know if these cables come with cable combs? Or will that have to be a separate purchase?