Advice Cooling install (AIO+case fans). Advice needed.

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Hello,
I am planning on building a mITX system on the NR200P case.

I will be using a Gigabyte Aorus B550I PRO AX mITX board that has 3 fan headers (2 system fan headers and 1 cpu fan header).

I will be using a NZXT Kraken X63 and I will replace its stock fans with 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM. I am planning on plugging the AIO pump into the motherboard CPU fan header and the 2 NF-A14 PWM into one of the two system fan headers using a NA-SYC1 splitter.

Also, I am planning on installing 2 bottom intake NF-A12x15-PWM and 2 top exhaust NF-A12x25 PWM fans and daisy chain the 4 fans using 2 NA-SYC1 splitters and plugging them into the remaining motherboard system fan header.

I would like to understand if this is a proper setup or if this has some incompatibilities (i.e. wrong usage of PWM fans, wrong voltage, wrong usage of splitters, etc).

Thank you in advance for your advice!

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I would be happy with having two fans on one header, but four makes me a bit weary... and you won't be able to split one signal into four fans with only two splitters - that will yield three headers.

Admittedly, I wasn't able to locate an amperage rating for the fan headers in my B550i manual.

What's the chances you could grab, arguably, the best fan controller <$50 and let it solve your problems (along with those splitters)?

Reactions: jackcalico

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If the wattage of a header is not stated, it is almost certain to be 12W (1A).
I would suggest:-
Pump-->CPU header
Two NF-A14 PWM fans --> NA-SYC1 --> Sys fan header 1
Four NF-A12x15 (or 25) --> three NA-SYC1 --> Sys fan header 2

The performance specs of A12x15 and A12x25 do not differ much. So, I would use 4 identical fans being slaved to the same one PWM signal. 0.13A x 4 = 0.42A < 1A. Even considering starting voltage spike of doubling, it will be 0.84A and you should still be OK.

You might also consider using a 1-to-4 fan splitter cable (eg Gelid) to save some cable management hassle. But, check to make sure length is enough to reach the fan positions.

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
You might also consider using a 1-to-4 fan splitter cable (eg Gelid) to save some cable management hassle. But, check to make sure length is enough to reach the fan positions.
For these kind of splitters, do you have to plug them to the motherboard with the 4 pin AND to the psu with the SATA/molex? Or is the SATA/molex not necessary?

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Will this work if I am using 2 packs of different fans (2 bottom intake NF-A12x15-PWM and 2 top exhaust NF-A12x25 PWM)?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
For these kind of splitters, do you have to plug them to the motherboard with the 4 pin AND to the psu with the SATA/molex? Or is the SATA/molex not necessary?
The Molex connection is necessary. The 4 fans get power from the PSU via the Molex connection instead of getting power from the motherboard.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Will this work if I am using 2 packs of different fans (2 bottom intake NF-A12x15-PWM and 2 top exhaust NF-A12x25 PWM)?
Yes. The Quadro (Aquasuite) allows you to control the four headers individually, but I would do as tinyitx suggested and pair matching fans... and I think each header is rated at 25W - Use one header for two 15 fans, one header for two 25 fans, and one header for the pump.

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
Connect the radiator fans to the X63 instead. Control the fan speed based on water temperature using NZXT software. Run the pump at the highest speed (fixed) where you can't hear it.